Extracting a too-deep steering tube expander

Aztec

Jul 8, 2003
The expander in my steering tube is a little low, so the top of the two bolts in the stem doesn't overlap it. I need to get that thing up a little higher, but it's wedged in there tight.

I'm thinking I'll use some threaded rod (with the same threads of course), and then put a thick washer over the rod, and crank down a nut to lift the expander up.

Unless, that is, an easier way?

Originally posted by Aztec
The expander in my steering tube is a little low, so the top of the two bolts in the stem doesn't overlap it. I need to get that thing up a little higher, but it's wedged in there tight.

I'm thinking I'll use some threaded rod (with the same threads of course), and then put a thick washer over the rod, and crank down a nut to lift the expander up.

Unless, that is, an easier way?
If it's a star nut you really cannot pull it back up. If it's an expander,they are designed to come loose,usually by tappng on the topcap nut to dislodge the expander. Your method will likely bugger something.

Hmm, I don't know the difference between the two. It's a metal thing about 1.5" long, and when the bolt goes through it, it grabs in the tube. It was a tight fit going into the tube (Colnago).

What do I do then? Clamp where there's no extender? Yikes!

Originally posted by Aztec
Hmm, I don't know the difference between the two. It's a metal thing about 1.5" long, and when the bolt goes through it, it grabs in the tube. It was a tight fit going into the tube (Colnago).

What do I do then? Clamp where there's no extender? Yikes!
Sounds more like an expander plug. Maybe you ought to go to a bike shop before you screw something up. If it's got a steel or aloy steerer there is no problem. If it's a CF steerer,then the plug ought to be close to centered with respect to the stem clamp to provide support.

If it is an expander type then you must have taken the bolt out of the expander? If you can just put the bolt back into the expander just a few threads and tap the top of the bolt lightly. If you have the fork out of the frame after you have tapped the expander, just grab each fork leg with the steer away from you and swing the fork hard. Usually the expander comes fling out.> Just swing the fork toward something soft or into a box. If it is a star nut you can just place a new star nut on top of the old one and the new one will push the old one down if you have a good star nut setter. I hope this helps, I do it all the time at work and another guy showed me how to do one day. Hope this makes sense and that I understand what your problem is.