Extremely high cadence

maarten wrote:
> Why do 200 rpm's??
>
> The answer is for pure speed.
>
> Training at 200rpm or plus is meant to increase sprinters top speed.
>
> How to train?
>
> You need to train it when the body is well rested: You chose a small gear ex 39*23 and spinn it as
> fast you can. Very important small gear as the important thing is leg speed for the neuro muscular
> adaptations(the power developped is of little importance)
>
> Only train it for very short intervals 6 to 10 sec and then rest (ride at low intensity at your
> normal cadence) and then do it again(repeat this several times)
>
> Timing Don't do this 2 days in a row or the day after a race/hard training you need to be fully
> recuperated. Do not do this kind of training in the 48 hours previous to a race.

I spin the pedals at ballpark speeds for 30 seconds or more at a time, and do it every other day or
so. I doubt my gear is as high as a 39-23 but I need some load on the pedals to engage the muscles.
It doesn't feel nearly as hard as a moderate hill climb, but it a nice interval workout.

I'm going to cut back on this work since I see from this discussion that there's not much value to
it, but I'll keep making sure my legs can do it.

> > So, AC, what's your take on this theory, that having a greater cadence range at one's disposal
> > may be indicative of better pedalling form and resulting greater efficiency at the more mundane
> > cadences?
>

> The biomechanics of pedaling very fast is so much different than when pedaling at "more mundane"
> cadences that I don't think your proposed test would tell you much at all.
>
> Andy Coggan

What makes the big difference? As I understand it, if you have perfected your pedaling, you can use
the same pedaling style at any cadence without any sliding forward on the saddle even if you have
it tilted downwards with the only difference being as pressure to the pedal increases and cadence
slows the arm resistance slowly comes into use.

"n crowley" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> > The biomechanics of pedaling very fast is so much different than when pedaling at "more mundane"
> > cadences that I don't think your proposed test would tell you much at all.

> What makes the big difference?

When pedalling very fast you're spending more energy controlling the weight/momentum of your legs
and relatively less on propelling the bike.

JT

NB: reply-to address is munged

Visit http://www.jt10000.com

[email protected] (John Forrest Tomlinson) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> "n crowley" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
> > > The biomechanics of pedaling very fast is so much different than when pedaling at "more
> > > mundane" cadences that I don't think your proposed test would tell you much at all.
>
> > What makes the big difference?
>
> When pedalling very fast you're spending more energy controlling the weight/momentum of your legs
> and relatively less on propelling the bike.

I forgot, all stompers and round pedallers are accustomed to pedalling with a dead spot area which
creates additional problems as cadence rises.

n crowley <[email protected]> wrote:
: As I understand it, if you have perfected your pedaling, you can use the same pedaling style at
: any cadence without any sliding forward on the saddle

Well I doubt it quite a bit. The motor control is not as good when you try to overspin. Also at very
high cadences ankle movement is not nearly as great as on normal cadences, and the ankle is also
more tilted.

Though, if you train at fairly high cadences you might eventually be able to pedal fairly smoothly
at fairly high cadences :)

[email protected] wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> n crowley <[email protected]> wrote:
> : As I understand it, if you have perfected your pedaling, you can use the same pedaling style at
> : any cadence without any sliding forward on the saddle
>
> Well I doubt it quite a bit. The motor control is not as good when you try to overspin. Also at
> very high cadences ankle movement is not nearly as great as on normal cadences, and the ankle is
> also more tilted.
>
> Though, if you train at fairly high cadences you might eventually be able to pedal fairly smoothly
> at fairly high cadences :)

Did anyone ever study what actually causes the sliding forward on the saddle which happens to all
riders. It is caused by the direct downward pedal pressure style of riding. From all the drawings
of correct pedaling technique that I have seen in books, it is obvious that for round pedaling
there are three different ankle positions at 12 o'clock, one for slow cadence which appears as heel
down, another for moderate cadence when shoe is level and the fast cadence position which is toes
down. When linear pedaling is used, regardless of what the cadence is, the ankle will always be set
for a toes down style of applying pedal power which eliminates the dead spot area and leads to the
smoothest possible pedaling with a technique that never uses direct downward pedal pressure. A toes
down style when used with round pedaling will not eliminate the dead spot area because a rider is
still concentrating on applying the main pedal pressure in a direct downward direction.

My boys,

The faster and harder, the better. Get into a rhythm and keep going at it like that. When you
work at it real hard like that, sometimes things can get a little messy. Be sure to wipe up after
your workout.

Fr. Guido

"Father Guido Sarducci" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> My boys,
>
> The faster and harder, the better. Get into a rhythm and keep going at it like that. When you work
> at it real hard like that, sometimes things can get a little messy. Be sure to wipe up after your
> workout.

Wipe up? Hell no. Let the mess rest exactly where it lies. You ride faster when you're "ride'n
dirty". Let the snot rockets fly and don't bother cleaning up a damn thing. Ride like the dirty Huns
you all are, you bunch of no good pussies.

Ralph

> Fr. Guido

Brother Rick,

I never knew you liked to display the seed of your efforts following a good hard workout. Indeed!
Let those rocket shots fly!

Fr. Guido

"Cramden" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> "Father Guido Sarducci" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > My boys,
> >
> > The faster and harder, the better. Get into a rhythm and keep going at it like that. When you
> > work at it real hard like that, sometimes things can get a little messy. Be sure to wipe up
> > after your workout.
>
> Wipe up? Hell no. Let the mess rest exactly where it lies. You ride faster when you're "ride'n
> dirty". Let the snot rockets fly and don't bother cleaning up a damn thing. Ride like the dirty
> Huns you all are, you bunch of no good pussies.
>
> Ralph

"Father Guido Sarducci" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Brother Rick,
>
> I never knew you liked to display the seed of your efforts following a good hard workout. Indeed!
> Let those rocket shots fly!

OF COURSE YOU DIDN'T KNOW you Catholic fairy, you're too busy feeling around your rear cogs to
notice. Keep your chain stiff, put your head down and push like the freaky deaker preacher you are.

Ralph

> Fr. Guido
>

> "Cramden" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > "Father Guido Sarducci" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> > > My boys,
> > >
> > > The faster and harder, the better. Get into a rhythm and keep going at it like that. When you
> > > work at it real hard like that, sometimes things can get a little messy. Be sure to wipe up
> > > after your workout.
> >
> > Wipe up? Hell no. Let the mess rest exactly where it lies. You ride faster when you're "ride'n
> > dirty". Let the snot rockets fly and don't bother cleaning up a damn thing. Ride like the dirty
> > Huns you all are,
you
> > bunch of no good pussies.
> >
> > Ralph

Originally posted by Andy Coggan
I'd say that you have a gross misconception of what represents science.

Andy Coggan [/B]

That's your opinion I may not explain it in a scientific way but that's the simple version of what I was told by Paul Ponnet. He may not be know over there in your country but this guy knows what he's talking about and will make sure hell have a solid scietific base for it.

Believe it or not that's up to you maybe talk to some top class track trainers could brothen your vieuw.

My son,

What do you use to lube your chain? Pushing that hard and keeping it stiff is bound to put a lot of
stress down there.

Fr. Guido

"Cramden" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> "Father Guido Sarducci" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Brother Rick,
> >
> > I never knew you liked to display the seed of your efforts following a good hard workout.
> > Indeed! Let those rocket shots fly!
>
> OF COURSE YOU DIDN'T KNOW you Catholic fairy, you're too busy feeling around your rear cogs
> to notice. Keep your chain stiff, put your head down and push like the freaky deaker preacher
> you are.
>
> Ralph

"Father Guido Sarducci" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> My son,
>
> What do you use to lube your chain? Pushing that hard and keeping it stiff is bound to put a lot
> of stress down there.

Lube my chain with? WHEATGRASS! You'll love it, only because it rhymes with ass. If you're looking
to relieve stress, PUT ON A DRESS! You sinister minister.

Ralph

> Fr. Guido
>
> "Cramden" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > "Father Guido Sarducci" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> > > Brother Rick,
> > >
> > > I never knew you liked to display the seed of your efforts following a good hard workout.
> > > Indeed! Let those rocket shots fly!
> >
> > OF COURSE YOU DIDN'T KNOW you Catholic fairy, you're too busy feeling
around
> > your rear cogs to notice. Keep your chain stiff, put your head down and push like the freaky
> > deaker preacher you are.
> >
> > Ralph

Brother Rick,

Wheatgrass? I usually smoke wheatgrass. If you add in a little incense, it really makes a good
smoke. Your rhymes are funny, Rick. But we were talking about lubrication, my son.

Do you like your lubrication milky white or nice and clear? Do you like to put it on one spot and
then work it around real good or do you pull it all over and wipe off the excess?

Well, some of my parisioners say that my priestly garments look like a dress. Would you like to see
what's underneath?

Fr. Guido

"Cramden" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> "Father Guido Sarducci" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > My son,
> >
> > What do you use to lube your chain? Pushing that hard and keeping it stiff is bound to put a lot
> > of stress down there.
>
> Lube my chain with? WHEATGRASS! You'll love it, only because it rhymes with ass. If you're looking
> to relieve stress, PUT ON A DRESS! You sinister minister.
>
> Ralph

"Father Guido Sarducci" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Brother Rick,
>
> Wheatgrass? I usually smoke wheatgrass. If you add in a little incense, it really makes a
> good smoke.

YOU'LL SMOKE A TURD IN PURGATORY you ol' freaky deak.

> But we were talking about lubrication, my son.
>
> Do you like your lubrication milky white or nice and clear? Do you

WHEATGRASS! It rhymes with kiss a rats ass, you ol' sinister minister.

> Well, some of my parisioners say that my priestly garments look like a dress. Would you like to
> see what's underneath?

I'M GONNA THROW UP! Would you like to see that? You o'l priest with the least. (nice picture on
the web site)

Ralph

> Fr. Guido
>
> "Cramden" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > "Father Guido Sarducci" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> > > My son,
> > >
> > > What do you use to lube your chain? Pushing that hard and keeping it stiff is bound to put a
> > > lot of stress down there.
> >
> > Lube my chain with? WHEATGRASS! You'll love it, only because it rhymes with ass. If you're
> > looking to relieve stress, PUT ON A DRESS! You sinister minister.
> >
> > Ralph

My son,

Your name is "ralph" after all - I would expect you to vomit, but try not to. Just relax your throat
and it'll all go down smooth. If might feel like a fire hydrant, but really only fills up about a
teaspoon. Goes well with senior nuts, too.

You liked my picture! Do you want to see what's under my frock?

Fr. Guido

"Father Guido Sarducci" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> My son,
>
> Your name is "ralph" after all - I would expect you to vomit, but try not to. Just relax your
> throat and it'll all go down smooth. If might feel like a fire hydrant, but really only fills up
> about a teaspoon. Goes well with senior nuts, too.
>
> You liked my picture! Do you want to see what's under my frock?

Under YOUR FROCK? Isn't that what we were looking at in the picture? That looked to be a picture of
a **** to me.

From your web site, everybody's SEEN YER shriveld up Grape Nuts. Go get yourself a set of new ones
and bounce'm off that dead fish you call a fire hydrant.

Ralph

> Fr. Guido

My son,

Our relationship started on a good footing - especially in private. Now you publicly mock me. Why is
that? Have I done something to offend? Come back to the confessional for a chat.

Fr. Guido