Eye Protection

Dave

Guest
My son if after a pair of cycling glasses/eye protection but I am at a bit
of a loss as to what to suggest as he wears glasses.

What he wears are quite small on his face but everything that he has tried
don't sit right on his face with his specs.

There must be some riders out there that wear specs who wear eye protection
but don't have prescription lenses on your cycling wear.

What and where - any suggestions.

DaveB

Dave wrote:
> My son if after a pair of cycling glasses/eye protection but I am at a bit
> of a loss as to what to suggest as he wears glasses.

Various companies produce eye protectors to be worn over glasses for
light engineering folk; you might find something useful there (and
probably way cheaper than anything branded for cycling; they tend to be
less than a tenner for ordinary eye protection). They also do
prescription protective eyewear, but that'll bump up the price by a
factor of ten-ish.

R.

Dave wrote:
> My son if after a pair of cycling glasses/eye protection but I am at a bit
> of a loss as to what to suggest as he wears glasses.
>
> What he wears are quite small on his face but everything that he has tried
> don't sit right on his face with his specs.
>
> There must be some riders out there that wear specs who wear eye protection
> but don't have prescription lenses on your cycling wear.

A good solution is to use sunglasses with optical inserts. A number of
manufacturers produce these, for example Bloc (see
<http://www.vision3k.com/product.asp?dept_id=55050>). You can either
get them ready glazed or unglazed for your own optician to complete.

--
Dave...

> My son if after a pair of cycling glasses/eye protection but I am at a bit
> of a loss as to what to suggest as he wears glasses.
>
> What he wears are quite small on his face but everything that he has tried
> don't sit right on his face with his specs.
>
> There must be some riders out there that wear specs who wear eye
> protection
> but don't have prescription lenses on your cycling wear.
>
> What and where - any suggestions.
>
> DaveB

Having measured a deterioration in my vision since started cycling, I've
taken up eye safety ware at all times, and now my vision has been restored 2
years later.

This is similar to what I use::

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Lance-Armstro...7244403784QQcategoryZ2904QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

However if you search under "protective glasses", "safety glasses" or "lab
glasses" you will find exactly the same thing for less than a fiver inc P&P.

http://search.ebay.co.uk/search/search.dll?from=R40&satitle=safety+glasses

There you go: Just £3 inc P&P.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Top-Spec-Safe...620940539QQcategoryZ11900QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Gloves, glasses, and jockstrap: The essentials for cycling.

> My son if after a pair of cycling glasses/eye protection but I am at a bit
> of a loss as to what to suggest as he wears glasses.
>
> What he wears are quite small on his face but everything that he has tried
> don't sit right on his face with his specs.
>
> There must be some riders out there that wear specs who wear eye
> protection
> but don't have prescription lenses on your cycling wear.
>
> What and where - any suggestions.

A pair of normal glasses with larger lenses? I'm told it's terribly
unfashionable when I buy specs, but I get them anyway.

cheers,
clive

Clive George wrote:

> A pair of normal glasses with larger lenses? I'm told it's terribly
> unfashionable when I buy specs, but I get them anyway.

Would depend on the degree to which fashion is pushing the requirement
in the first place. I used to wear cycling glasses at least in part
because it was Common Sense and, perhaps more to the point, all "proper"
cyclists wore them. A bit like my helmet and gloves... And also a bit
like my helmet and gloves they have far fewer outings than they used to,
though they certainly have their uses.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK