Eye Protection?

vennycash

May 6, 2015
When I ride, I find that I have to squint to keep stuff from getting into my eyes. I used to wear glasses so I didn't have this problem before, but now I'm considering buying glasses with clear lenses just for riding. Are shades the only option?

I've also considered using a motorcycle helmet instead, but I think that would look too weird.

There are lots of brands of eyewear that offer interchangeable lenses so you can have cler lenses as well. Oakley, Tifosi and Smith Optics to name a few, plenty of others. I highly recommend wearing eyewear, preferably the wrap around kind, while riding. I wear them precisely for the reason you described.

If you need prescription glasses at the same time, then you can get safety glasses with your prescription built in. Otherwise, tons of clear safety and riding glasses options are available these days. You shouldn't have trouble finding great eyewear for riding, whether you're looking for shades or something that's 100% see-through.

Thankfully, you have many options when it comes to glasses. You don't have to stick to one type or brand. Personally, I prefer dark glasses on the road that are enclosed, meaning they cover my eyes from every angle. Also, my glasses have to be polarized to minimize sun damage to my eyes. The sun in the tropics is very harsh, and you need to be extra careful when you are out on the road for long hours.

I believe they have extra options and coating that they can put on prescription glasses that would help you a lot and, not only keep stuff out of your eyes, but also keep the lenses safe from scratching or getting dirty. You would have to ask your eye doctor or the place you buy your lenses from for that though.

Just get something to protect your eyes. If you are going at top speed and bug flying in the opposite direction feels like apebble on your face. If that goes in your eye, that could leave you with some damage. So protect your eyes at all times. You only got two of them.

Eye protection is critical. You only got two of them so take care if it at all times. Road debris will get you in the face and its the split second squint is where accidents can happen. Wear some form of eye protection and be safe at all times.

There are sunglasses that have very light tiny. They are mostly for glare and uv reduction. I haven't shopped for sunglasses in awhile but I remember some years ago these were very popular fashion items. They did all come with the uv protection sticker, so if you just need dust protection mostly these would be great.

Eye protection is crucial when riding. You don't want dust and dirt getting into your eyes and ruining your concentration... Therefore, causing you to have an accident. Especially, when riding in the city where there are a lot of traffic, dust and pollution. I would recommend always wearing some sports sunglasses or goggles while riding.

I have prescription goggles that I wear. I need them to be able to see on the road. Without those glasses I would feel unsafe on the road. They also help protect my eyes against any pebbles that cars may throw at me.

I always wear sunglasses when I'm out cycling. The main reason is because it helps keep dust or any other particles from getting into my eyes. The second reason is that it's so incredibly sunny here in South Africa, even during the winter months. It's not enjoyable, or safe to be riding around while squinting. There are many high quality sunglasses designed specifically for cyclists and they're generally quite affordable. Even normal sunglasses will do the trick if you're not riding too fast.

I use a cheapish pair of sunglasses for eye protection and they seem to do the job for me just fine. I did have a pair before though that I found way too dark for my liking but I love the pair I have now. I'd suggest to consider them as they won't break the bank and offer great protection.

I usually wear regular sunglasses, but I've noticed a lot of people wearing clear glasses more like these. They're mainly for preventing dust and particles getting in your eyes but they also provide UVA/UVB protection.

If you don't want to spring for specific cycling glasses, I'm sure you could find something cheap with non-prescription lenses. Lots of people wear 'fake' glasses as a fashion accessory so I bet you wouldn't have too much trouble finding something appropriate :)