TIA, Paul.
--
Paul Matthews [email protected] http://www.hepcats.co.uk

On 2004-06-28, Paul Matthews penned:
> I have decided I need new sunglasses, and would like them
> to be useful on the bike. I am also a hay fever sufferer
> so a close fitwould be good for that too.
>
> I was thinking of Oakleys, but I am long sighted with a
> +3.5/+3.75 prescription. Oakleys have a max of a +2
> prescription.
>
> I am not too keen on the ideas of either contacts or
> lasers...
>
> Anyone have any suggestions?

I have Rudy Project glasses that work well for me. I
believer they take prescription inserts up to +4. Their site
says nothing about shatterproofness, though, which kind of
worries me ... anyone have any knowledge of whether Rudy
Projects will hold up in a crash, or splinter into your eye?

--
monique

Monique Y. Mudama wrote:
> On 2004-06-28, Paul Matthews penned:
>> I have decided I need new sunglasses, and would like them
>> to be useful on the bike. I am also a hay fever sufferer
>> so a close fitwould be good for that too.
>>
>> I was thinking of Oakleys, but I am long sighted with a
>> +3.5/+3.75 prescription. Oakleys have a max of a +2
>> prescription.
>>
>> I am not too keen on the ideas of either contacts or
>> lasers...
>>
>> Anyone have any suggestions?
>>

> I have Rudy Project glasses that work well for me. I
> believer they take prescription inserts up to +4. Their
> site says nothing about shatterproofness, though, which
> kind of worries me ... anyone have any knowledge of
> whether Rudy Projects will hold up in a crash, or splinter
> into your eye?

I crashed big time yesterday with them on. Not even a
scratch on the lens!

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws

>I have decided I need new sunglasses, and would like them
>to be useful on the bike. I am also a hay fever sufferer so
>a close fitwould be good for that too.
>
>I was thinking of Oakleys, but I am long sighted with a
>+3.5/+3.75 prescription. Oakleys have a max of a +2
>prescription.
>
>I am not too keen on the ideas of either contacts or
>lasers...
>
>Anyone have any suggestions?
>
>TIA, Paul.

Sved optics will mount an Rx insert in pretty much any
pair of sunglasses you send them. I had them do a pair of
Smith sliders a few years back and have been quite happy
with them.

Cheers,

-Andrew

Stephen Baker wrote:
> Ride-A-Lot says:
>
>> I crashed big time yesterday with them on. Not even a
>> scratch on the lens!
>
> Fall on your bum? ;-P
>
> Steve

Nope. Head first over the bars and into a tree. Glasses came
flying off and hit the boulder next to me.

Stephen Baker wrote:

> Ride-a-Lot says:
>

>>Nope. Head first over the bars and into a tree. Glasses
>>came flying off and hit the boulder next to me.
>

> Well, as they say in the flying world - any landing you
> can walk away from is a good landing...

Its nice to be able to use the airplane (or bike, or
glasses...) again though. :)

Shawn

"Paul Matthews" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I have decided I need new sunglasses, and would like them
> to be useful on
the
> bike. I am also a hay fever sufferer so a close fitwould
> be good for that
too.

> I was thinking of Oakleys, but I am long sighted with a
> +3.5/+3.75 prescription. Oakleys have a max of a +2
> prescription.
>
> I am not too keen on the ideas of either contacts or
> lasers...
>
> Anyone have any suggestions?
>
> TIA, Paul.
> --
> Paul Matthews [email protected]
> http://www.hepcats.co.uk

My favorite LBS just started carrying the Tifosi line of
sport/cycling glasses. Being a corrective lens wearer, I
was pleased to see that they had one model available with
an RX insert. They look like a nice product for the money -
I was surprised at how reasonably priced they were: $30 US
for the glasses with one lens set and $15 for the Rx
insert. For that price you could buy several glasses with
different color lenses and one insert to swap between them
and still come out way ahead for what you'd pay for Oakleys
or Rudy Projects.

Ride-A-Lot wrote:

> Head first over the bars and into a tree. Glasses came
> flying off and hit the boulder next to me.

I suggest you enter the Second Annual AMB Poetry Contest
when it rolls around...

John M

On 2004-06-29, KLydesdale penned:

> My favorite LBS just started carrying the Tifosi line of
> sport/cycling glasses. Being a corrective lens wearer, I
> was pleased to see that they had one model available with
> an RX insert. They look like a nice product for the money
> - I was surprised at how reasonably priced they were: $30
> US for the glasses with one lens set and $15 for the Rx
> insert. For that price you could buy several glasses with
> different color lenses and one insert to swap between them
> and still come out way ahead for what you'd pay for
> Oakleys or Rudy Projects.

But ... but ... my RPs *look* cool! And stuff. They make me
pedal faster, I swear!

Okay, maybe not. It *is* nice to have interchangeable lenses
rather than multiple whole frames to carry around, but I
have friends with super-cheap interchangeables, too.

I suspect that a decent opt-whatever shop could make an
insert for just about any model; I'm sure it would
cost, though.

--
monique

Paul Matthews wrote:
> I have decided I need new sunglasses, and would like them
> to be useful on the bike. I am also a hay fever sufferer
> so a close fitwould be good for that too.
>
> I was thinking of Oakleys, but I am long sighted with a
> +3.5/+3.75 prescription. Oakleys have a max of a +2
> prescription.
>
> I am not too keen on the ideas of either contacts or
> lasers...
>
> Anyone have any suggestions?

ADIDAS do a Evil Eye model that designed for biking. It has
the perscription insert. Not cheap, but they are damned fine
eyewear for on the trail.
--
Westie (Replace 'invalid' with 'yahoo' when replying.)

<snip>
> I suspect that a decent opt-whatever shop could make an
> insert for just about any model; I'm sure it would
> cost, though.

A great many glasses shops also make prescription safety
glasses for industrial use. Nowdays safety glasses look like
"regular" eyeglasses or sunglasses and can be had from 50$
up to 350$.

But I'm a bit paranoid about being blind (and I have to have
safety glasses for work, so I already own them)