Eyeballs out

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Zog The Undenia, Mar 6, 2004.

  1. Tried the local club run for the first time today. Supposed
    to be medium pace...17mph. 22-23mph on the flat, more like.
    Thorn Nomads aren't really made to go that fast, especially
    with guards, rack and full dynamo lighting rig. I can
    console myself with the fact that I may have been barely
    hanging on the back, but I was dragging 12lb more not-very-
    aerodynamic bike along!

    Proper racing bike next week if the council don't salt the
    roads again.

    Tags:

  2. Arthur Clune

    Arthur Clune Guest

    Zog The Undeniable <[email protected]> wrote:
    : Tried the local club run for the first time today.
    : Supposed to be medium pace...17mph. 22-23mph on the flat,
    : more like.

    17mph average? Could easily be 22mph on he fla given some
    small lumps

    : Thorn Nomads aren't really made to go that fast,
    : especially with guards, rack and full dynamo lighting rig.
    : I can console myself with the fact that I may have been
    : barely hanging on the back, but I was dragging 12lb more
    : not-very-aerodynamic bike along!

    It's amazing how much harder you have to work riding a
    tourer rather than a race bike!

    Arthur

    --
    Arthur Clune http://www.clune.org "Technolibertarians make a
    philosophy out of a personality defect"

  3. Arthur Clune wrote:

    > It's amazing how much harder you have to work riding a
    > tourer rather than a race bike!

    Doesn't help that my "level 3" turbo training (HR in the
    160s) is currently only getting me 21mph! I had to ride
    right down on the drops nearly all the time and do a *lot*
    of drafting just to hang in there.

    Still, a few weekends of this and that 11-year old time of
    27'10" for a "10" will fall this year :)

  4. Arthur Clune

    Arthur Clune Guest

    Zog The Undeniable <[email protected]> wrote:

    : Doesn't help that my "level 3" turbo training (HR in the
    : 160s) is currently only getting me 21mph! I had to ride
    : right down on the drops nearly all the time and do a *lot*
    : of drafting just to hang in there.

    Few things get you fast quicker than riding with people who
    are faster than you but not so much faster that you get
    dropped. So, yup, keep at it and that 10 time should go!

    --
    Arthur Clune