Eyeballs out

Zog The Undenia

Guest
Tried the local club run for the first time today. Supposed
to be medium pace...17mph. 22-23mph on the flat, more like.
Thorn Nomads aren't really made to go that fast, especially
with guards, rack and full dynamo lighting rig. I can
console myself with the fact that I may have been barely
hanging on the back, but I was dragging 12lb more not-very-
aerodynamic bike along!

Proper racing bike next week if the council don't salt the
roads again.

Zog The Undeniable <[email protected]> wrote:
: Tried the local club run for the first time today.
: Supposed to be medium pace...17mph. 22-23mph on the flat,
: more like.

17mph average? Could easily be 22mph on he fla given some
small lumps

: Thorn Nomads aren't really made to go that fast,
: especially with guards, rack and full dynamo lighting rig.
: I can console myself with the fact that I may have been
: barely hanging on the back, but I was dragging 12lb more
: not-very-aerodynamic bike along!

It's amazing how much harder you have to work riding a
tourer rather than a race bike!

Arthur

--
Arthur Clune http://www.clune.org "Technolibertarians make a
philosophy out of a personality defect"

Arthur Clune wrote:

> It's amazing how much harder you have to work riding a
> tourer rather than a race bike!

Doesn't help that my "level 3" turbo training (HR in the
160s) is currently only getting me 21mph! I had to ride
right down on the drops nearly all the time and do a *lot*
of drafting just to hang in there.

Still, a few weekends of this and that 11-year old time of
27'10" for a "10" will fall this year :)

Zog The Undeniable <[email protected]> wrote:

: Doesn't help that my "level 3" turbo training (HR in the
: 160s) is currently only getting me 21mph! I had to ride
: right down on the drops nearly all the time and do a *lot*
: of drafting just to hang in there.

Few things get you fast quicker than riding with people who
are faster than you but not so much faster that you get
dropped. So, yup, keep at it and that 10 time should go!

--
Arthur Clune