Eyeglasses in rain

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by John Zenger, Apr 13, 2004.

  1. John Zenger

    John Zenger Guest

    My eyes need glasses. That's bad in the rain. What's the best
    solution? Goggles? A special helmet that comes with a visor?

    Tags:

  2. David Kerber

    David Kerber Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] says...
    > My eyes need glasses. That's bad in the rain. What's the best
    > solution? Goggles? A special helmet that comes with a visor?

    It doesn't take a "special" helmet; many come with visors, which help
    quite a bit. Goggles will get covered with water just like glasses
    will, so I don't see how that would help.

    I've found that contacts work best in the rain, unless it's very heavy.
    In very heavy rain, I've found that glasses are actually better, because
    a solid sheet of water on them is easier to see through than the water
    in my eyes trying to wash out the contacts is. I wouldn't actually be
    on the bike in rain like this, but I've refereed soccer games in it, and
    that was my experience.

    newsgroups if possible).

  3. H. M. Leary

    H. M. Leary Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    John Zenger <[email protected]> wrote:

    > My eyes need glasses. That's bad in the rain. What's the best
    > solution? Goggles? A special helmet that comes with a visor?

    Contacts????

    HAND

    They say that we'll have fun here
    If we ever get to see the sun here.....
    - Camp Granada

    --
    "Freedom Is a Light for Which Many Have Died in Darkness"

  4. tk

    tk Guest

    "John Zenger" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > My eyes need glasses. That's bad in the rain. What's the best
    > solution? Goggles? A special helmet that comes with a visor?

    Laser correction
    Best thing I ever did!

  5. J. Zwiebel

    J. Zwiebel Guest

    I've used both my regular glasses as
    well as sport glasses with prescription inserts while riding in the rain.
    Glasses with inserts are by far the worst since the result is four surfaces
    covered with water and fog rather than just two. Occasionally removing my
    regular prescription glasses and shaking them against my leg helps somewhat.
    However, with severe fogging and/or heavy rain, I've found that removing my
    glasses altogether is better than struggling with obstructed vision.

    Jamie Zwiebel

    "John Zenger" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > My eyes need glasses. That's bad in the rain. What's the best
    > solution? Goggles? A special helmet that comes with a visor?

  6. Mike Schwab

    Mike Schwab Guest

    Check http://www.icebike.org . For winter fogging, they suggest ski
    goggles or lab goggle under $10.

    John Zenger wrote:

    > My eyes need glasses. That's bad in the rain. What's the best
    > solution? Goggles? A special helmet that comes with a visor?

  7. jeffbonny

    jeffbonny Guest

    So Mike Schwab <[email protected]> says:

    >Check http://www.icebike.org . For winter fogging, they suggest ski
    >goggles or lab goggle under $10.
    >
    >John Zenger wrote:
    >>
    >> My eyes need glasses. That's bad in the rain. What's the best
    >> solution? Goggles? A special helmet that comes with a visor?

    I've used RainX on car windshields. The water beads up and slides off
    eliminating the need for wipers. It works amazingly well but will
    destroy plastic lenses. There is a similar product I can't recall the
    name of I've seen used on plastic helicopter windscreens that may be
    worth tracking down.
    I hate glasses in the rain.

    jeffb

  8. Bert L.am

    Bert L.am Guest

    "jeffbonny" <[email protected]> schreef in bericht
    news:[email protected]
    > So Mike Schwab <[email protected]> says:
    >
    > >Check http://www.icebike.org . For winter fogging, they suggest ski
    > >goggles or lab goggle under $10.
    > >
    > >John Zenger wrote:
    > >>
    > >> My eyes need glasses. That's bad in the rain. What's the best
    > >> solution? Goggles? A special helmet that comes with a visor?

    > I've used RainX on car windshields. The water beads up and slides off
    > eliminating the need for wipers. It works amazingly well but will
    > destroy plastic lenses. There is a similar product I can't recall the
    > name of I've seen used on plastic helicopter windscreens that may be
    > worth tracking down.
    > I hate glasses in the rain.
    >
    > jeffb

    http://www.adidas.com/eyewear/catalogue/epc_index.asp?itemID=126

    anyone familiar with these glasses (with presciption insert) or this type of
    glasses.
    Buying them will cost me over 200 Euro, but I'm not yet convinced that they
    will help against fog, headwind and tears.
    I'm planning to use them during mountainbiking racing, marathons and
    training.

    thanx in advance,

    Bert L.am
    (it's a great day in Holland, EU)

    --
    Posted by news://news.nb.nu

  9. Peter Cole

    Peter Cole Guest

    "Bert L.am" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]

    > http://www.adidas.com/eyewear/catalogue/epc_index.asp?itemID=126
    >
    > anyone familiar with these glasses (with presciption insert) or this type of
    > glasses.
    > Buying them will cost me over 200 Euro, but I'm not yet convinced that they
    > will help against fog, headwind and tears.
    > I'm planning to use them during mountainbiking racing, marathons and
    > training.

    I have a pair of Adidas glasses -- overpriced crap, like most. Cycling glasses
    with inserts are stupid, if I had it to do over again, I wouldn't. If your
    correction isn't too great you can get lenses made for some (less curved)
    cycling frames, otherwise, just get reasonable frames and lightweight lenses.

    To OP: visors help a lot in the rain, in some conditions they'll keep your
    glasses completely dry. You can either buy a helmet with visor, wear a cap
    under helmet (or cap by itself, I don't care).

  10. Bert L.am

    Bert L.am Guest

    "Peter Cole" <[email protected]> schreef in bericht
    news:[email protected]ttbi_s01...
    > "Bert L.am" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
    > >
    > > http://www.adidas.com/eyewear/catalogue/epc_index.asp?itemID=126
    > >
    > > anyone familiar with these glasses (with presciption insert) or this

    type of
    > > glasses.
    > > Buying them will cost me over 200 Euro, but I'm not yet convinced that

    they
    > > will help against fog, headwind and tears.
    > > I'm planning to use them during mountainbiking racing, marathons and
    > > training.

    > I have a pair of Adidas glasses -- overpriced crap, like most. Cycling

    glasses
    > with inserts are stupid, if I had it to do over again, I wouldn't. If your
    > correction isn't too great you can get lenses made for some (less curved)
    > cycling frames, otherwise, just get reasonable frames and lightweight

    lenses.

    > To OP: visors help a lot in the rain, in some conditions they'll keep your
    > glasses completely dry. You can either buy a helmet with visor, wear a cap
    > under helmet (or cap by itself, I don't care).

    Well that must solve the issue then. Thanks for saving me my 200 Euro. Now I
    can spend them on other things from my favorite LBS.

    Does anyone have an opinion on the visors, which are sold as accessories to
    these helmets:
    - http://www.etto.no/setframes.htm
    - go to cycling
    - then go to accessories

    or about the most expensive cycling glasses: Oakley

    thanks

    bert l.am

    --
    Posted by news://news.nb.nu

  11. FloridaBent

    FloridaBent Guest

    While spit works, to a degree, try this: Stop by your local scuba shop and get
    a bottle of the drops that divers use to keep their masks clear.

    Costs a little more than spit, but is more effective. And it only takes a
    little. I can't remember the price because the bottle I'm using I bought 9
    years ago and it's only about half used.

    Bill, riding bent in Florida
    (hence the screen name)

    I may be old and fat, but by golly,

    I'm Slow!

    To e-mail, remove undies

  12. DRS

    DRS Guest

    FloridaBent <[email protected]> wrote in message
    [email protected]
    > While spit works, to a degree, try this: Stop by your local scuba
    > shop and get a bottle of the drops that divers use to keep their
    > masks clear.

    I've never needed anything other than spit to keep my mask clear, and the
    same goes for my diving buddies.

    --

    A: Top-posters.

  13. Bert L.am

    Bert L.am Guest

  14. Bert L.am <[email protected]> wrote:
    > "David Reuteler" <[email protected]> schreef in bericht
    > news:[email protected]
    >> Mike Schwab <[email protected]> wrote:
    >> > Check http://www.icebike.org . For winter fogging, they suggest ski
    >> > goggles or lab goggle under $10.

    >> my spit works pretty well. i ship worldwide at reasonable prices.
    >> --
    >> david reuteler
    >> [email protected]

    > what's the price for a 10 liter bottle, shipped to Holland, NL?
    > Can I have it by April 25?

    sorry, to keep quality high i limit myself to 250ml per day and to make it
    worthwhile i charge $50 a litre. one litre will last you a *LONG* time.
    done on a per request basis so calculate your own lead time.

    shipping is not included.
    --
    david reuteler
    [email protected]

  15. Kaputnik

    Kaputnik Guest

    There is a product called cat crap that is designed for eye glasses.
    I'm not making this name up. http://www.glassafe.com/catcrap.html

    That takes care of the fogging. I just live with the raindrops.

    jeffbonny <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    ? Goggles? A special helmet that comes with a visor?

    > I've used RainX on car windshields. The water beads up and slides off
    > eliminating the need for wipers. It works amazingly well but will
    > destroy plastic lenses. There is a similar product I can't recall the
    > name of I've seen used on plastic helicopter windscreens that may be
    > worth tracking down.

  16. Don

    Don Guest

    I use Rain-X on my auto windshield.
    I wear glasses.. Blind without them..

    I put Rain-X on my glasses too.
    Available in any auto dept such as Wal-Mart or any auto parts place.
    Doesn't seem to harm the glasses at all.
    Does a super job of cleaning grease and crap off your glasses too.

    cheers

    don

    "John Zenger" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > My eyes need glasses. That's bad in the rain. What's the best
    > solution? Goggles? A special helmet that comes with a visor?

  17. jeffbonny

    jeffbonny Guest

    So "Don" <[email protected]> says:

    >I use Rain-X on my auto windshield.
    >I wear glasses.. Blind without them..
    >
    >I put Rain-X on my glasses too.
    >Available in any auto dept such as Wal-Mart or any auto parts place.
    >Doesn't seem to harm the glasses at all.
    >Does a super job of cleaning grease and crap off your glasses too.

    Do you use glass lenses? A friend of mine used it on his ski goggles
    (Pac-NW skiing being what it is) and they kinda melted.

    jeffb

  18. Bernie

    Bernie Guest

    Mike Schwab wrote:

    >Check http://www.icebike.org . For winter fogging, they suggest ski
    >goggles or lab goggle under $10.
    >
    >John Zenger wrote:
    >
    >>My eyes need glasses. That's bad in the rain. What's the best
    >>solution? Goggles? A special helmet that comes with a visor?

    Don't know the "best" solution. I use workshop "fitover" type safety
    glasses (plastic) on dark days and at night, rain or shine. Use
    "fitover" type sunglasses over my glasses on bright days. (this is not
    a style discussion!!!) There is plenty of airflow to keep lenses clear,
    and plenty of front and side protection from the endless stream of
    little bits that want to get in one's eyes.
    With good eye protection I can downhill at speeds up to 70 km/h.
    Without glasses, 35 km/h is about it. My eyes tend to be too dry, and
    the wind hurts.
    Use the fabric back of your gloves or at least the soft part on the back
    of the thumb to wipe your lenses now and then.
    Regards, Bernie