Eyeglasses in rain

John Zenger

Guest
My eyes need glasses. That's bad in the rain. What's the best
solution? Goggles? A special helmet that comes with a visor?

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...
> My eyes need glasses. That's bad in the rain. What's the best
> solution? Goggles? A special helmet that comes with a visor?

It doesn't take a "special" helmet; many come with visors, which help
quite a bit. Goggles will get covered with water just like glasses
will, so I don't see how that would help.

I've found that contacts work best in the rain, unless it's very heavy.
In very heavy rain, I've found that glasses are actually better, because
a solid sheet of water on them is easier to see through than the water
in my eyes trying to wash out the contacts is. I wouldn't actually be
on the bike in rain like this, but I've refereed soccer games in it, and
that was my experience.

newsgroups if possible).

In article <[email protected]>,
John Zenger <[email protected]> wrote:

> My eyes need glasses. That's bad in the rain. What's the best
> solution? Goggles? A special helmet that comes with a visor?

Contacts????

HAND

They say that we'll have fun here
If we ever get to see the sun here.....
- Camp Granada

--
"Freedom Is a Light for Which Many Have Died in Darkness"

"John Zenger" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> My eyes need glasses. That's bad in the rain. What's the best
> solution? Goggles? A special helmet that comes with a visor?

Laser correction
Best thing I ever did!

I've used both my regular glasses as
well as sport glasses with prescription inserts while riding in the rain.
Glasses with inserts are by far the worst since the result is four surfaces
covered with water and fog rather than just two. Occasionally removing my
regular prescription glasses and shaking them against my leg helps somewhat.
However, with severe fogging and/or heavy rain, I've found that removing my
glasses altogether is better than struggling with obstructed vision.

Jamie Zwiebel

"John Zenger" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> My eyes need glasses. That's bad in the rain. What's the best
> solution? Goggles? A special helmet that comes with a visor?

Check http://www.icebike.org . For winter fogging, they suggest ski
goggles or lab goggle under $10.

John Zenger wrote:

> My eyes need glasses. That's bad in the rain. What's the best
> solution? Goggles? A special helmet that comes with a visor?

So Mike Schwab <[email protected]> says:

>Check http://www.icebike.org . For winter fogging, they suggest ski
>goggles or lab goggle under $10.
>
>John Zenger wrote:
>>
>> My eyes need glasses. That's bad in the rain. What's the best
>> solution? Goggles? A special helmet that comes with a visor?

I've used RainX on car windshields. The water beads up and slides off
eliminating the need for wipers. It works amazingly well but will
destroy plastic lenses. There is a similar product I can't recall the
name of I've seen used on plastic helicopter windscreens that may be
worth tracking down.
I hate glasses in the rain.

jeffb

"jeffbonny" <[email protected]> schreef in bericht
news:[email protected]...
> So Mike Schwab <[email protected]> says:
>
> >Check http://www.icebike.org . For winter fogging, they suggest ski
> >goggles or lab goggle under $10.
> >
> >John Zenger wrote:
> >>
> >> My eyes need glasses. That's bad in the rain. What's the best
> >> solution? Goggles? A special helmet that comes with a visor?

> I've used RainX on car windshields. The water beads up and slides off
> eliminating the need for wipers. It works amazingly well but will
> destroy plastic lenses. There is a similar product I can't recall the
> name of I've seen used on plastic helicopter windscreens that may be
> worth tracking down.
> I hate glasses in the rain.
>
> jeffb

http://www.adidas.com/eyewear/catalogue/epc_index.asp?itemID=126

anyone familiar with these glasses (with presciption insert) or this type of
glasses.
Buying them will cost me over 200 Euro, but I'm not yet convinced that they
will help against fog, headwind and tears.
I'm planning to use them during mountainbiking racing, marathons and
training.

thanx in advance,

Bert L.am
(it's a great day in Holland, EU)

--
Posted by news://news.nb.nu

"Bert L.am" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> http://www.adidas.com/eyewear/catalogue/epc_index.asp?itemID=126
>
> anyone familiar with these glasses (with presciption insert) or this type of
> glasses.
> Buying them will cost me over 200 Euro, but I'm not yet convinced that they
> will help against fog, headwind and tears.
> I'm planning to use them during mountainbiking racing, marathons and
> training.

I have a pair of Adidas glasses -- overpriced ****, like most. Cycling glasses
with inserts are stupid, if I had it to do over again, I wouldn't. If your
correction isn't too great you can get lenses made for some (less curved)
cycling frames, otherwise, just get reasonable frames and lightweight lenses.

To OP: visors help a lot in the rain, in some conditions they'll keep your
glasses completely dry. You can either buy a helmet with visor, wear a cap
under helmet (or cap by itself, I don't care).

"Peter Cole" <[email protected]> schreef in bericht
> "Bert L.am" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> >
> > http://www.adidas.com/eyewear/catalogue/epc_index.asp?itemID=126
> >
> > anyone familiar with these glasses (with presciption insert) or this

type of
> > glasses.
> > Buying them will cost me over 200 Euro, but I'm not yet convinced that

they
> > will help against fog, headwind and tears.
> > I'm planning to use them during mountainbiking racing, marathons and
> > training.

> I have a pair of Adidas glasses -- overpriced ****, like most. Cycling

glasses
> with inserts are stupid, if I had it to do over again, I wouldn't. If your
> correction isn't too great you can get lenses made for some (less curved)
> cycling frames, otherwise, just get reasonable frames and lightweight

lenses.

> To OP: visors help a lot in the rain, in some conditions they'll keep your
> glasses completely dry. You can either buy a helmet with visor, wear a cap
> under helmet (or cap by itself, I don't care).

Well that must solve the issue then. Thanks for saving me my 200 Euro. Now I
can spend them on other things from my favorite LBS.

Does anyone have an opinion on the visors, which are sold as accessories to
these helmets:
- http://www.etto.no/setframes.htm
- go to cycling
- then go to accessories

or about the most expensive cycling glasses: Oakley

thanks

bert l.am

--
Posted by news://news.nb.nu

While spit works, to a degree, try this: Stop by your local scuba shop and get
a bottle of the drops that divers use to keep their masks clear.

Costs a little more than spit, but is more effective. And it only takes a
little. I can't remember the price because the bottle I'm using I bought 9
years ago and it's only about half used.

Bill, riding bent in Florida
(hence the screen name)

I may be old and fat, but by golly,

I'm Slow!

To e-mail, remove undies

FloridaBent <[email protected]> wrote in message
[email protected]
> While spit works, to a degree, try this: Stop by your local scuba
> shop and get a bottle of the drops that divers use to keep their
> masks clear.

I've never needed anything other than spit to keep my mask clear, and the
same goes for my diving buddies.

--

A: Top-posters.

Bert L.am <[email protected]> wrote:
> "David Reuteler" <[email protected]> schreef in bericht
> news:[email protected]...
>> Mike Schwab <[email protected]> wrote:
>> > Check http://www.icebike.org . For winter fogging, they suggest ski
>> > goggles or lab goggle under $10.

>> my spit works pretty well. i ship worldwide at reasonable prices.
>> --
>> david reuteler
>> [email protected]

> what's the price for a 10 liter bottle, shipped to Holland, NL?
> Can I have it by April 25?

sorry, to keep quality high i limit myself to 250ml per day and to make it
worthwhile i charge $50 a litre. one litre will last you a *LONG* time.
done on a per request basis so calculate your own lead time.

shipping is not included.
--
david reuteler
[email protected]

There is a product called cat **** that is designed for eye glasses.
I'm not making this name up. http://www.glassafe.com/catcrap.html

That takes care of the fogging. I just live with the raindrops.

jeffbonny <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
? Goggles? A special helmet that comes with a visor?

> I've used RainX on car windshields. The water beads up and slides off
> eliminating the need for wipers. It works amazingly well but will
> destroy plastic lenses. There is a similar product I can't recall the
> name of I've seen used on plastic helicopter windscreens that may be
> worth tracking down.

I use Rain-X on my auto windshield.
I wear glasses.. Blind without them..

I put Rain-X on my glasses too.
Available in any auto dept such as Wal-Mart or any auto parts place.
Doesn't seem to harm the glasses at all.
Does a super job of cleaning grease and **** off your glasses too.

cheers

don

"John Zenger" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> My eyes need glasses. That's bad in the rain. What's the best
> solution? Goggles? A special helmet that comes with a visor?

So "Don" <[email protected]> says:

>I use Rain-X on my auto windshield.
>I wear glasses.. Blind without them..
>
>I put Rain-X on my glasses too.
>Available in any auto dept such as Wal-Mart or any auto parts place.
>Doesn't seem to harm the glasses at all.
>Does a super job of cleaning grease and **** off your glasses too.

Do you use glass lenses? A friend of mine used it on his ski goggles
(Pac-NW skiing being what it is) and they kinda melted.

jeffb

Mike Schwab wrote:

>Check http://www.icebike.org . For winter fogging, they suggest ski
>goggles or lab goggle under $10.
>
>John Zenger wrote:
>
>>My eyes need glasses. That's bad in the rain. What's the best
>>solution? Goggles? A special helmet that comes with a visor?

Don't know the "best" solution. I use workshop "fitover" type safety
glasses (plastic) on dark days and at night, rain or shine. Use
"fitover" type sunglasses over my glasses on bright days. (this is not
a style discussion!!!) There is plenty of airflow to keep lenses clear,
and plenty of front and side protection from the endless stream of
little bits that want to get in one's eyes.
With good eye protection I can downhill at speeds up to 70 km/h.
Without glasses, 35 km/h is about it. My eyes tend to be too dry, and
the wind hurts.
Use the fabric back of your gloves or at least the soft part on the back
of the thumb to wipe your lenses now and then.
Regards, Bernie