eyelets, a must have or not?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Eric, Aug 26, 2004.

  1. Eric

    Eric Guest

    Are eyelets a must for an all around rim? Are rims without eyelets at a
    disadvantage? What are the pros and cons? In particular I'm wondering the
    difference between the cxp 14 and cxp 30 rims.
    Thanks in advance,

    --
    Eric
    [email protected]

    Tags:

  2. Todd Kuzma

    Todd Kuzma Guest

    in article [email protected], Eric at

    > Are eyelets a must for an all around rim? Are rims without eyelets at a
    > disadvantage? What are the pros and cons? In particular I'm wondering the
    > difference between the cxp 14 and cxp 30 rims.
    > Thanks in advance,

    With the "single" eyelets that are common today, pretty much all they do is
    protect the spoke nipple. Personally, I will not build a non-eyeletted rim
    with aluminum nipples as they are damaged too easily.

    On older rims and some current rims like the Torelli Master, the eyelets are
    "double" eyelets or socketed eyelets. These eyelets help share the load
    over both walls of the rim. Unfortunately, they are out of fashion today
    because they add a small bit of weight and most folks, including the
    marketing folks at the rim manufacturers, don't understand their function.

    Todd Kuzma
    Heron Bicycles
    Tullio's Big Dog Cyclery
    LaSalle, IL
    http://www.heronbicycles.com/
    http://www.tullios.com/

  3. eric-<< Are eyelets a must for an all around rim? Are rims without eyelets at
    disadvantage? >><BR><BR>

    No and no, if the rim is designed not to have them. Velocity Aero, Fusiuon,
    Aerohead and Deep V are good examples.

    CXP-30 is a CXP 14 with the inserted sockets, essentially. For the $(lots for
    CXP-30) look at Velocity.

    http://www.velocityusa.com

    Peter Chisholm
    Vecchio's Bicicletteria
    1833 Pearl St.
    Boulder, CO, 80302
    (303)440-3535
    http://www.vecchios.com

  4. Gary Young

    Gary Young Guest

    Todd Kuzma <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<BD53F461.2466B%[email protected]>...
    > in article [email protected], Eric at
    > [email protected] wrote on 8/26/04 7:32 PM:
    >
    > > Are eyelets a must for an all around rim? Are rims without eyelets at a
    > > disadvantage? What are the pros and cons? In particular I'm wondering the
    > > difference between the cxp 14 and cxp 30 rims.
    > > Thanks in advance,

    > With the "single" eyelets that are common today, pretty much all they do is
    > protect the spoke nipple. Personally, I will not build a non-eyeletted rim
    > with aluminum nipples as they are damaged too easily.
    >
    > On older rims and some current rims like the Torelli Master, the eyelets are
    > "double" eyelets or socketed eyelets. These eyelets help share the load
    > over both walls of the rim. Unfortunately, they are out of fashion today
    > because they add a small bit of weight and most folks, including the
    > marketing folks at the rim manufacturers, don't understand their function.

    Do sockets really increase the net weight of a rim? I would think that
    rims without sockets would have to change the extrusion to compensate.
    But that means you're adding aluminum even in places where it's not
    needed, instead of adding a bit of stainless steel at the spoke holes.

  5. Trevor

    Trevor Guest

    Eric wrote in message ...
    >Are eyelets a must for an all around rim? Are rims without eyelets at a
    >disadvantage? What are the pros and cons? In particular I'm wondering the
    >difference between the cxp 14 and cxp 30 rims.
    >Thanks in advance,

    No rims without eyelet just need washers to spread and so reduce the bending
    loads incurred on the rim. Most rims are grossly overengineered for their
    intended use these days. Oh the joys of a free market, bounded by
    unnecessary constraint.

    Trevor

  6. trevor-<< No rims without eyelet just need washers to spread and so reduce the
    bending
    loads incurred on the rim. >><BR><BR>

    garbage. Rims w/o eyelets don't 'need' washers.
    Maybe in 1960 but today's rims(Velocity) do not.

    Peter Chisholm
    Vecchio's Bicicletteria
    1833 Pearl St.
    Boulder, CO, 80302
    (303)440-3535
    http://www.vecchios.com

  7. Eric wrote:

    > Are eyelets a must for an all around rim?

    No. I've used plenty of rims without eyelets and never had a spoke pull
    through. If you want insurance you can put little brass washers - I
    think M4 is the best fit - under the nipples when building the wheel.
    Obviously this adds weight, but it spreads the load and might also make
    the nipples turn more easily when truing - you pays your money etc.

  8. Trevor

    Trevor Guest

    Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote in message
    <[email protected]>...
    >trevor-<< No rims without eyelet just need washers to spread and so reduce

    the
    >bending
    >loads incurred on the rim. >><BR><BR>
    >
    >garbage. Rims w/o eyelets don't 'need' washers.
    >Maybe in 1960 but today's rims(Velocity) do not.

    Pardon me. Yes, todays overweight non-eyeletted rims do not require
    washers. A lightweight rim may require washers to prevent excessive
    distortion or even pull-through of the nipple. Consult with manufacturer of
    rim if required.

    Trevor

  9. trevor-<< Yes, todays overweight non-eyeletted rims do not require
    washers. A lightweight rim may require washers to prevent excessive
    distortion or even pull-through of the nipple. Consult with manufacturer of
    rim if required. >><BR><BR>

    hmmmm..Velocity Escape and Aerohead are in the high 300, low 400 grams range.
    hardly a heavy weight, no eyelets, no washers required. I have build perhaps
    300 of these rims w/o any problems.

    Peter Chisholm
    Vecchio's Bicicletteria
    1833 Pearl St.
    Boulder, CO, 80302
    (303)440-3535
    http://www.vecchios.com

  10. Weisse Luft

    Weisse Luft New Member

    Joined:
    May 28, 2004
    Messages:
    1,306
    Not all eyeletless rims can take a washer either. I know the Velocity Aeroheads cannot due to the nipple bed curvature.