EZ Sport two weeks later . . .

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Fraser, Oct 1, 2003.

  1. Fraser

    Fraser Guest

    For anyone who might be interested . . .

    It was two weeks yesterday I took delivery of my EZ Sport Ltd. Gotta say I enjoy it more
    everyday. Of the last 14 days, I've had 2 days without a ride, primarily due to weather
    rather than rest and recuperation. Certainly not a record braker, but I've logged 214.8 km.
    (214.8 x .62 for those non metrically minded). Not to shabby for someone in my physical shape. Grin,
    but I am doing my belt up one notch tighter this week. (and sleeping better).

    Added another water bottle rack, dual bar end Mirricycles, rear luggage rack and fenders,
    (after getting caught one night in the rain), and a pair of double sided pedals, Spd one
    side, flat on the other. So much for a relatively light weight bent. I've also added two big
    paint chips on the cross bar, where for some reason I keep hitting the bar on mount and
    dismount. Grrr.

    I've bought 5 new bicycles in the last 25 years or so and this is the first one that I
    haven't had a tire/tube problem in the first couple of days. It does bode well . . . . the
    Kenda Kwest tires seem to be quite durable, still haven't worn all the molding lines and
    stubs off. If I was to go to a narrower tire, 1.50 right now, would I notice a significant
    drop in effort to maintain the 25k/h pace? Are there 20/26 inch tires available in 1.25" or
    even 1" widths that fit the rims on the bent now? How would a narrow tire affect the ride?

    Slowly starting to learn to pace myself rather than trying to run flat out. Been riding a
    combination of city and rural roads on night and day rides. One problem I am having is
    related to speed and pacing. For some reason 25k/h feels faster in town than it does in
    the country. Likely due to lack of curbside scenery in the country, less reference to the
    speed with which things go rumbling by. Gotta learn to relax and enjoy the ride
    regardless of speed.

    The better half just rang the dinner bell, best go get fueled up for tonight's ride . . .

    Tags:

  2. Dennis

    Dennis Guest

    Fraser <[email protected]> wrote in message I'm glad to see another Sport rider here. I got
    mine three weeks ago and put mile 100 on it yesterday. I too have been quite pleased with the ride
    and performance. The days are getting shorter up here in MN, so my evening rides are usually limited
    to riding a 1 mile steep grade a few times.

    Curious about your additions; What pedals and rear rack did you add? I may add the fenders as well,
    so I can do some commuting, but I'll probably wait until Spring. I like the Kendas; I wonder how
    thinner tires would hold up around town?

    In my riding so far, I'm about 1-2 mph slower on the LTD than my old road bike, but I think that
    will improve as I train. I have a recumbent exercise bike that I plan to work with over the winter.

    Keep in touch,

    Peace, Dennis

    > Added another water bottle rack, dual bar end Mirricycles, rear luggage rack and fenders,
    > (after getting caught one night in the rain), and a pair of double sided pedals, Spd one
    > side, flat on the other. So much for a relatively light weight bent. I've also added two big
    > paint chips on the cross bar, where for some reason I keep hitting the bar on mount and
    > dismount. Grrr.
    >
    > I've bought 5 new bicycles in the last 25 years or so and this is the first one that I
    > haven't had a tire/tube problem in the first couple of days. It does bode well . . . . the
    > Kenda Kwest tires seem to be quite durable, still haven't worn all the molding lines and
    > stubs off. If I was to go to a narrower tire, 1.50 right now, would I notice a significant
    > drop in effort to maintain the 25k/h pace? Are there 20/26 inch tires available in 1.25" or
    > even 1" widths that fit the rims on the bent now? How would a narrow tire affect the ride?

  3. Evsolutions

    Evsolutions Guest

    Fraser Sorry I never got back to you on the Mircycle Mirror thing...my PC crashed and been swamped
    with this selling Hub motor thing to recumbent owners.

    Not sure what is on the ass end of your bent, but I use an AVOCET Cross at 85 psi 559mm (26 inch)
    and it is as close to a Slick as I can find. Vredestein makes Slicks in narrow widths and Anna Lee
    Scott Husband might carry them or can order them for you. Also the Bicyclespokesman in Richmond Hill
    carries them...can never remember his web address.

    Joshua
    *****
    "Fraser" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > For anyone who might be interested . . .
    >
    > It was two weeks yesterday I took delivery of my EZ Sport Ltd. Gotta say I enjoy it more everyday.
    > Of the last 14 days, I've had 2 days without a ride, primarily due to weather rather than rest and
    > recuperation. Certainly not a record braker, but I've logged 214.8 km.
    > (214.8 x .62 for those non metrically minded). Not to shabby for someone in my physical shape.
    > Grin, but I am doing my belt up one notch tighter this week. (and sleeping better).
    >
    > Added another water bottle rack, dual bar end Mirricycles, rear luggage rack and fenders, (after
    > getting caught one night in the rain), and a pair of double sided pedals, Spd one side, flat on
    > the other. So much for a relatively light weight bent. I've also added two big paint chips on the
    > cross bar, where for some reason I keep hitting the bar on mount and dismount. Grrr.
    >
    > I've bought 5 new bicycles in the last 25 years or so and this is the first one that I haven't had
    > a tire/tube problem in the first couple of days. It does bode well . . . . the Kenda Kwest tires
    > seem to be quite durable, still haven't worn all the molding lines and stubs off. If I was to go
    > to a narrower tire, 1.50 right now, would I notice a significant drop in effort to maintain the
    > 25k/h pace? Are there 20/26 inch tires available in 1.25" or even 1" widths that fit the rims on
    > the bent now? How would a narrow tire affect the ride?
    >
    > Slowly starting to learn to pace myself rather than trying to run flat out. Been riding a
    > combination of city and rural roads on night and day rides. One problem I am having is related to
    > speed and pacing. For some reason 25k/h feels faster in town than it does in the country. Likely
    > due to lack of curbside scenery in the country, less reference to the speed with which things go
    > rumbling by. Gotta learn to relax and enjoy the ride regardless of speed.
    >
    > The better half just rang the dinner bell, best go get fueled up for tonight's ride . . .

  4. Fraser

    Fraser Guest

    On 1 Oct 2003 19:20:03 -0700, [email protected] (Dennis) wrote:

    >Curious about your additions; What pedals and rear rack did you add? I may add the fenders as well,
    >so I can do some commuting, but I'll probably wait until Spring. I like the Kendas; I wonder how
    >thinner tires would hold up around town?

    The bike shop had a $39 set of Wellgo pedals. (Cdn funds). I didn't shop around or do any
    price/quality comparing. They were basically what I wanted and in stock . . . at my present
    degree of fitness, wooden blocks with elastic bands would be as efficient. Grin.

    As for the rack, the bent shop installed it as a condition of purchase. They claim it isn't
    a "standard" rack, but with a quick once over, I'm damned if I can see the difference.

    The fenders are made for the EZ Sport, and attach pretty easy. After a run in the rain the
    other night, and seeing how much crud was flying off the front wheel and onto the crank, I
    thought I'd nip that problem in the bud. Never was one for fenders, but at this stage, I'm
    out for comfort not speed, ergo all the add ons.

    I've got a query out right now about the effects of narrower tires beyond less rolling
    resistance. I'm holding off on that idea until spring regardless. Had a bit of a scare the
    other night, hit a good sized patch of sand and gravel that had washed up over the edge of
    the pavement and actually had to fight to keep control. Even with the 1.50 tires, things
    were a little snaky for a few seconds.

    >In my riding so far, I'm about 1-2 mph slower on the LTD than my old road bike, but I think that
    >will improve as I train.

    I really haven't ridden in about 15 years. The only old df log book I could find was for
    1981 and my average seemed to run 26 to 30 km/h with rides 50 - 100k in length. Present
    averages on the EZ Sport LTD seem to run 18 to 25 km/h, but I am a whole lot heavier and
    older now, grin. I imagine the avg will equal out a little as I get back into shape. But the
    average does seem to be creeping upwards slowly. I enjoy speed as much as anyone, but right
    now my aim is to get my stamina and endurance up so I can get in a 98k ride to the trailer
    next summer. I've gotten a 32k ride under my belt already in the first 2 weeks, so I don't
    think it's a goal out of reach . . .

    > I have a recumbent exercise bike that I plan to work with over the winter.

    I've been curious about getting a set of rollers and using the EZ Sport in the basement.
    Anyone know of a make that accepts the 26" rear wheel?

    >Keep in touch,

    Definitely, you too . . .

  5. Mark Leuck

    Mark Leuck Guest

    "EVSolutions" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Fraser Sorry I never got back to you on the Mircycle Mirror thing...my PC crashed and been swamped
    > with this selling Hub motor thing to recumbent owners.

    Hub motor thing?

  6. Fraser

    Fraser Guest

    On 1 Oct 2003 19:20:03 -0700, [email protected] (Dennis) wrote:

    >I'm glad to see another Sport rider here. I got mine three weeks ago and put mile 100 on it
    >yesterday. I too have been quite pleased with the ride and performance. The days are getting
    >shorter up here in MN, so my evening rides are usually limited to riding a 1 mile steep grade a
    >few times.

    And shorter as well here in southern Ontario. I bought a cateye 5 led headlight and used the
    old red lensed led rear flasher from 15 years ago and do a lot of city night riding after
    11pm, once a lot of the traffic has settled in for the night. During the day I'll head out
    to the rural areas just north of the city. We've got some good sized hills here as well so
    it certainly puts hair on the chest. I've had mine for 2 weeks and done 214k, app 132 miles.

    >Curious about your additions; What pedals and rear rack did you add?

    The bent shop I dealt with claimed the rear rack for the EZ Sport Ltd was specially made to
    fit, but with a quick look I can't tell it from a standard rack.

    As for pedals, I didn't do a lot of shopping about. Given my fitness level, wooden blocks
    and a couple of elastic bands would be as efficient. (grin). The bent shop had a set of
    "multi-function" Wellgo pedals in stock, flat on one side and spd on the other. The box
    gives model number WPD-95B. I haven't a clue as to whether they are upper or lower level
    quality, but they'll do. Set me back just under $40
    cdn. As on diamond frames, cycling shoes and clips do seem to make a difference, at least in comfort
    if nothing else.

    >I may add the fenders as well, so I can do some commuting, but I'll probably wait until Spring.

    Got caught in the rain the other night and noticed how much water and crud was getting
    thrown directly onto the crank. I've never been a fender fan, but given the proximity to the
    crank, I thought it a wise purchase. Bought a set supposedly made for the Ez Sport and they
    fit quite well and went on easily.

    > I like the Kendas; I wonder how thinner tires would hold up around town?

    I've got a query out right now regarding narrower tires and how they'd affect the ride.
    We'll see what kind of answer we get. I don't imagine I'll change tires before spring
    though. I did have a "moment" the other night. Hit a fairly sizable patch of sand and gravel
    that had washed over the edge of the pavement. I almost kissed the pavement . . . I guess
    it's part and parcel of getting the feel and control of a bent.

    >In my riding so far, I'm about 1-2 mph slower on the LTD than my old road bike, but I think that
    >will improve as I train.

    I haven't really ridden in 15 years or so, so I can't really judge averages. Found an old df
    ride log book from 1981. In it my averages run 25-30 k/h. with runs ranging 50 to 100 km. In
    the last few weeks I've averaged 18 to 22 k/h. Each ride over the last week has seen a small
    improvement in average speed so I;d assume you are correct. Personally I've never been as
    interested in speed as I am in distance. Personal best thus far is a 32k run and I am aiming
    for a 92k run to the trailer next summer. Grin, at least that's my plan, we'll see what
    these old bones will give us.

    > I have a recumbent exercise bike that I plan to work with over the winter.

    I've actually considered a set of rollers for the EZ Sport for the basement this winter. I
    know years ago, rollers were expensive, don't know what the prices are now, or even if you
    can get a set to fit the 26" wheel. ( feedback anyone?)

    >Keep in touch,

    Definitely, you too, seeing we are basically on the same page.

    Take care . . .

  7. Fraser

    Fraser Guest

    On Thu, 2 Oct 2003 00:32:19 -0400, "EVSolutions" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Fraser Sorry I never got back to you on the Mircycle Mirror thing...my PC crashed and been swamped
    >with this selling Hub motor thing to recumbent owners.

    Not a problem my friend . . . I've gotten a pair of bar end Mircycle Mirrors that do the job
    just fine. Grin, if I could just get my belly out of the way on the sharper turns I'd be
    laughing rather than repositioning one mirror or the other. Grin, hopefully that'll be a
    problem solved as my mileage grows and my girth shrinks.

    >Not sure what is on the ass end of your bent, but I use an AVOCET Cross at 85 psi 559mm (26 inch)
    >and it is as close to a Slick as I can find. Vredestein makes Slicks in narrow widths and Anna Lee
    >Scott Husband might carry them or can order them for you.

    The EZ Sport Limited came with Kenda Kwest 26 x 1.50 on the rear and 20 x 1.50 on the front,
    and I've got them both inflated to thier rated 100lbs max. They do seem quite good, but
    given my limited "bent" knowledge, I'm just curious as to what results I'd get with narrower
    tires. I know the rolling resistance would likely decrease, by how much I don't know, and at
    what cost to stability?

    I hit a patch of sand/gravel that had been rain washed onto the road the other night and
    almost ended up kissing the pavement. I imagine with narrower rubber I'd have likely picked
    up a case of road rash. I'm thinking it might be wise to stick with the wider tire for a
    while until I get a better feel for the bike and learn how it handles various road
    conditions.

    Just my curiousity getting the better of me . . .

  8. "Fraser" skrev

    > The EZ Sport Limited came with Kenda Kwest 26 x 1.50 on the rear and 20 x 1.50 on the front, and
    > I've got them both inflated to thier rated 100lbs max. They do seem quite good, but given my
    > limited "bent" knowledge, I'm just curious as to what results I'd get with narrower tires. I know
    > the rolling resistance would likely decrease, by how much I don't know, and at what cost to
    > stability?

    I used 90 psi S-Licks on my TE-clone and they do make you faster. However they made the frontwheel
    slide too easily in turns and rattled my fairing so much that the windscreen cracked. Also they have
    zero grip in slow/slush. I had the rear wheel slide out under me even on level ground going slow in
    a straight line. So I swapped to 20 x 1.75 40 psi front and later a 26 x 1.95 65 psi knobby reartire
    and dubbed it my winterbike. Makes me slower on the road but faster on gravel and hopefully safer
    when winter drops by.

    Mikael

  9. Mlb

    Mlb Guest

    Fraser <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:

    > On Thu, 2 Oct 2003 00:32:19 -0400, "EVSolutions" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>Fraser Sorry I never got back to you on the Mircycle Mirror thing...my PC crashed and been swamped
    >>with this selling Hub motor thing to recumbent owners.
    >
    > Not a problem my friend . . . I've gotten a pair of bar end Mircycle Mirrors that do the job
    > just fine. Grin, if I could just get my belly out of the way on the sharper turns I'd be
    > laughing rather than repositioning one mirror or the other. Grin, hopefully that'll be a
    > problem solved as my mileage grows and my girth shrinks.
    >
    >>Not sure what is on the ass end of your bent, but I use an AVOCET Cross at 85 psi 559mm (26 inch)
    >>and it is as close to a Slick as I can find. Vredestein makes Slicks in narrow widths and Anna Lee
    >>Scott Husband might carry them or can order them for you.
    >
    > The EZ Sport Limited came with Kenda Kwest 26 x 1.50 on the rear and 20 x 1.50 on the front,
    > and I've got them both inflated to thier rated 100lbs max. They do seem quite good, but given
    > my limited "bent" knowledge, I'm just curious as to what results I'd get with narrower tires.
    > I know the rolling resistance would likely decrease, by how much I don't know, and at what
    > cost to stability?
    >
    > I hit a patch of sand/gravel that had been rain washed onto the road the other night and
    > almost ended up kissing the pavement. I imagine with narrower rubber I'd have likely picked
    > up a case of road rash. I'm thinking it might be wise to stick with the wider tire for a
    > while until I get a better feel for the bike and learn how it handles various road
    > conditions.
    >
    > Just my curiousity getting the better of me . . .

    Those are one of the best tires for bents. On my V² I went to a fatty tire (1.75) and was very happy
    with the improved ride and handling. Speed didn't go down noticably at all.