f**ked headtube - repairable?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by ellis, Sep 15, 2005.

  1. ellis

    ellis Guest

    Tags:

  2. Leo Lichtman

    Leo Lichtman Guest

    "ellis" wrote: (clip) Nashbar is out of stock on this puppy, so they can't
    even send me a new one. Repairable? (clip)
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    What are they willing to do? If you got it at a "blowout" price, the most
    you can expect is a refund, which probably is not enough to pay a shop for
    repair. So it's "totalled." If they send you a refund, and tell you to
    throw it away, you could try to fix it. I would.

    I would heat the bent area with an oxy/acetylene torch to dull red, and
    then try pounding it back round, using whatever is needed to form the
    inside--horn of anvil, steel conical dolly, solid round bar, etc. It may
    not come out perfect, but if you can get the bearings to slip in and seat,
    it ought to be usable.

    If you took it to an automotive body shop, they could do those things, but
    might charge you more than the refunded cost of the frame.

  3. damyth

    damyth Guest

    Yeah, this is most likely repairable by a frame builder or a good bike
    shop. Basically they use a pipe/vise to "restore" the head-tube.
    Worse comes to worse you can get the head tube replaced by a frame
    builder. This option would most likely cost more than what you paid
    for the frame.

  4. m-gineering

    m-gineering Guest

    ellis wrote:

    > Bought this NOS Schwinn BMX frame from Nashbar when they were blowing them
    > out. It took three weeks to get here (god knows where it got routed to) and
    > the headtube came damaged, since they packed it with no padding, just some
    > cardboard strips wrapped around the tubes. Nashbar is out of stock on this
    > puppy, so they can't even send me a new one. Repairable? TIA.
    >
    > http://66.246.93.5/sale/pix/sell_archive/predator_comp.jpg
    >
    > http://66.246.93.5/sale/pix/sell_archive/schwinn_predator2.jpg

    press in a cone (cold) and most of the dent will go out. Fit a steel
    headset, do not try to face the headtube unless is is very undersize
    --
    ---
    Marten Gerritsen

    INFOapestaartjeM-GINEERINGpuntNL
    www.m-gineering.nl

  5. Bill Henry

    Bill Henry Guest

    ellis wrote:
    > Bought this NOS Schwinn BMX frame from Nashbar when they were blowing them
    > out. It took three weeks to get here (god knows where it got routed to) and
    > the headtube came damaged, since they packed it with no padding, just some
    > cardboard strips wrapped around the tubes. Nashbar is out of stock on this
    > puppy, so they can't even send me a new one. Repairable? TIA.
    >
    > http://66.246.93.5/sale/pix/sell_archive/predator_comp.jpg
    >
    > http://66.246.93.5/sale/pix/sell_archive/schwinn_predator2.jpg

    Yeah, that should be fixable. I'm not a metal worker but it looks like
    you could heat up the tube and slip in a cylinder of the right diameter
    to get it back to normal.

    I'd complain like hell to them, though. I can't imagine they would want
    it back, but they might not give you a refund unless you ship it to
    them. Good luck.

  6. Chalo

    Chalo Guest

    ellis wrote:
    > Bought this NOS Schwinn BMX frame from Nashbar when they were blowing them
    > out. It took three weeks to get here (god knows where it got routed to) and
    > the headtube came damaged, since they packed it with no padding, just some
    > cardboard strips wrapped around the tubes. Nashbar is out of stock on this
    > puppy, so they can't even send me a new one. Repairable? TIA.
    >
    > http://66.246.93.5/sale/pix/sell_archive/predator_comp.jpg
    >
    > http://66.246.93.5/sale/pix/sell_archive/schwinn_predator2.jpg

    Lemme guess-- was this package shipped by UPS?

    The kind of abuse this frame must have seen in transit would destroy
    many kinds of items no matter how well they were packed. Whould any
    normal protective packaging have saved a laptop computer, or a set of
    dishes, or a television from the sort of impact that did this to your
    frame? I don't think so. Nashbar may not have packed the thing as
    well as they should have, but they are not to blame for that mess.

    I've had such poor results getting bikes shipped by UPS-- about 50% of
    a large number have arrived damaged-- that I refuse to let them ship
    bikes for me any more.

    Yes, you can probably repair the frame or have it repaired for you.
    It's probably a good idea to use a headset with chunky steel cups after
    the reapir, as the races in such a headset will not flex out of round
    when pressed into a slightly misshapen tube. Fortunately, there are
    lots of beefy headsets for BMX bikes. The FSA Pig loose-retainer
    headset is a good and cost-effective one, as are the Aheadset Tank and
    Diatech DD-Cup.

    Chalo Colina

  7. ellis

    ellis Guest

    "Leo Lichtman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:eek:[email protected]

    > "ellis" wrote: (clip) Nashbar is out of stock on this puppy, so they

    can't
    > even send me a new one. Repairable? (clip)
    > ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    > What are they willing to do? If you got it at a "blowout" price, the most
    > you can expect is a refund, which probably is not enough to pay a shop for
    > repair. So it's "totalled." If they send you a refund, and tell you to
    > throw it away, you could try to fix it. I would.
    >
    > I would heat the bent area with an oxy/acetylene torch to dull red, and
    > then try pounding it back round, using whatever is needed to form the
    > inside--horn of anvil, steel conical dolly, solid round bar, etc. It may
    > not come out perfect, but if you can get the bearings to slip in and seat,
    > it ought to be usable.
    >
    > If you took it to an automotive body shop, they could do those things, but
    > might charge you more than the refunded cost of the frame.

    Thanks. Nashbar isn't doing squat. They will refund me and send me a
    return shipping label to ship the 7-pound wall ornament back. By the time
    it gets back to Nashbar, the frame probably will probably be in two pieces.
    I'm debating whether to drag this thing to PO or just keep it and try to
    repair it since I do want a BMX bike to play with. Hell, I haven't been on
    a BMX bike since I was a kid and was looking forward to some nostalgia.
    This is the first time I've ever had a problem with Nashbar, so I won't
    badmouth them too much.

  8. ellis

    ellis Guest

    "m-gineering" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > ellis wrote:
    > >
    > > Bought this NOS Schwinn BMX frame from Nashbar when they were blowing

    them
    > > out. It took three weeks to get here (god knows where it got routed to)

    and
    > > the headtube came damaged, since they packed it with no padding, just

    some
    > > cardboard strips wrapped around the tubes. Nashbar is out of stock on

    this
    > > puppy, so they can't even send me a new one. Repairable? TIA.
    > >
    > > http://66.246.93.5/sale/pix/sell_archive/predator_comp.jpg
    > >
    > > http://66.246.93.5/sale/pix/sell_archive/schwinn_predator2.jpg

    > press in a cone (cold) and most of the dent will go out. Fit a steel
    > headset, do not try to face the headtube unless is is very undersize
    > --
    > ---
    > Marten Gerritsen
    >
    > INFOapestaartjeM-GINEERINGpuntNL
    > www.m-gineering.nl

    Sorry for my ignorance, but is a cone something I can pick up in a hardware
    store? I'm not too familiar with machine shop tools. Thanks.

  9. Marcus Coles

    Marcus Coles Guest

    Nasty.

    I would gently use an exhaust pipe expander/reshaper, a hand cranked one
    not pneumatic or hydraulic.
    Most auto repair shops should have one.
    just be gentle and keep checking the diameter.
    A bit of black paint and should be good to go.

    HTH

    Marcus

  10. m-gineering

    m-gineering Guest

    ellis wrote:

    > "m-gineering" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > > ellis wrote:
    > > >
    > > > Bought this NOS Schwinn BMX frame from Nashbar when they were blowing

    > them
    > > > out. It took three weeks to get here (god knows where it got routed to)

    > and
    > > > the headtube came damaged, since they packed it with no padding, just

    > some
    > > > cardboard strips wrapped around the tubes. Nashbar is out of stock on

    > this
    > > > puppy, so they can't even send me a new one. Repairable? TIA.
    > > >
    > > > http://66.246.93.5/sale/pix/sell_archive/predator_comp.jpg
    > > >
    > > > http://66.246.93.5/sale/pix/sell_archive/schwinn_predator2.jpg

    > > press in a cone (cold) and most of the dent will go out. Fit a steel
    > > headset, do not try to face the headtube unless is is very undersize
    > > --
    > > ---
    > > Marten Gerritsen
    > >
    > > INFOapestaartjeM-GINEERINGpuntNL
    > > www.m-gineering.nl

    > Sorry for my ignorance, but is a cone something I can pick up in a hardware
    > store? I'm not too familiar with machine shop tools. Thanks.

    Use your ingenuity: clutch alignment kit, drillchuck, socketset...
    Anything from steel with a variing diameter will do. Or try a coupla of
    cold beers and a machineshop ;)

    --
    ---
    Marten Gerritsen

    INFOapestaartjeM-GINEERINGpuntNL
    www.m-gineering.nl

  11. Leo Lichtman

    Leo Lichtman Guest

    "Marcus Coles" wrote: (clip) I would gently use an exhaust pipe
    expander/reshaper,(clip)
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    That's the best idea yet. That, together with a little heat from a torch,
    and gentle tapping with a light hammer, and you'll have it fixed. Where are
    you? Maybe someone in your area with the right tools is reading this.

  12. ellis

    ellis Guest

    "Leo Lichtman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > "Marcus Coles" wrote: (clip) I would gently use an exhaust pipe
    > expander/reshaper,(clip)
    > ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    > That's the best idea yet. That, together with a little heat from a torch,
    > and gentle tapping with a light hammer, and you'll have it fixed. Where

    are
    > you? Maybe someone in your area with the right tools is reading this.

    Thanks guys for all the excellent tips. After I got some beer muscle
    however, I actually took a 12" adjustable wrench, clamped it down on the
    flattened front of the headtube and bent it back to somewhat circular shape,
    darn nearly pulling a back muscle. No way near a circle, but enough so that
    I could install steel Tange headset cups. I slapped in the sealed bearings,
    compression ring, cover and the whole thing is turning pretty smoothly, so I
    guess it did the trick. Thank goodness it wasn't an aluminum frame.
    Sheesh.

    http://66.246.93.5/sale/pix/sell_archive/schwinn_predator_fixed.jpg

  13. Leo Lichtman

    Leo Lichtman Guest

    "ellis" wrote: (clip) I actually took a 12" adjustable wrench, clamped it
    down on the flattened front of the headtube and bent it back to somewhat
    circular shape, (clip)
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Gee, Ellis, I wisht yuh hadn't of did that. Prolly voided the warranty.
    <G>

  14. Mark Hickey

    Mark Hickey Guest

    "ellis" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Bought this NOS Schwinn BMX frame from Nashbar when they were blowing them
    >out. It took three weeks to get here (god knows where it got routed to) and
    >the headtube came damaged, since they packed it with no padding, just some
    >cardboard strips wrapped around the tubes. Nashbar is out of stock on this
    >puppy, so they can't even send me a new one. Repairable? TIA.
    >
    > http://66.246.93.5/sale/pix/sell_archive/predator_comp.jpg
    >
    >http://66.246.93.5/sale/pix/sell_archive/schwinn_predator2.jpg

    Say that IS a pretty dented head tube...

    If that were my frame, and I decided to save it, I'd use a large steel
    pipe as a form (a pipe sized as close to the proper inside diameter of
    the head tube as I could find). Then I'd just SLOWLY rough out the
    shape by hammering on the other side of the pipe. Hammer - test fit
    the headset cup - hammer / repeat.

    You'll never, ever get it very "round" but with some care you'll get
    it to the point where it's secure enough. As long as the headset cup
    contacts the top face of the head tube almost all the way around
    (probably will, since the tube wasn't compressed vertically), and
    assuming you can get it to the point where the cup is still pretty
    snug in the head tube, you should be OK. I'd suggest using some of
    the non-removeable Loctite or perhaps liquid metal as a filler when
    installing the headset cup. All you really need to do is make sure
    that the cup won't move under normal stresses - taking up any small
    space with Loctite or liquid metal should do the trick.

    Chances are you'll retire the frame without that head tube failing
    (unless you're REALLY hard on frames, that is...).

    Mark Hickey
    Habanero Cycles
    http://www.habcycles.com
    Home of the $795 ti frame

  15. noname

    noname Guest

    Thinking just the samething...

    :)

    > press in a cone (cold) and most of the dent will go out. Fit a steel
    > headset, do not try to face the headtube unless is is very undersize

  16. This is no problem at all, it happens all the time in shipping, and as
    long as the head tube is steel and its not cracked, its easily
    fixable.

    Get a heavy metal bar, place it inside the head tube, and give it some
    whacks to pull out the bent part. be a little bit careful not to put
    a similar indentation in the bottom of the head tube. In fact, you
    might want to install a lower headset cup before doing this.

    I had the same problem 4 months ago with a raleigh super tourer which
    came with fork installed and locknut installed and it took a hard
    whack on the locknut which moved the locknut back and crumpled the
    fork tube right at the slotted part. I've been riding that bike -
    ever since fixing it - for many weeks now after having fixed it
    myself.

    Here's the query I posted at the time to the framebuilders mailing
    list, and the responses :

    http://search.bikelist.org/query.as...?"&[email protected]&SortBy=MsgDate[a]

    - Don Gillies
    San Diego, CA

  17. >ellis wrote:
    >> Bought this NOS Schwinn BMX frame from Nashbar when they were blowing them
    >> out. It took three weeks to get here (god knows where it got routed to) and
    >> the headtube came damaged, since they packed it with no padding, just some
    >> cardboard strips wrapped around the tubes. Nashbar is out of stock on this
    >> puppy, so they can't even send me a new one. Repairable? TIA.
    >>
    >> http://66.246.93.5/sale/pix/sell_archive/predator_comp.jpg
    >>
    >> http://66.246.93.5/sale/pix/sell_archive/schwinn_predator2.jpg

    I bought a bike from Icycles and had the same problem, but not quite as bad.
    I just banged it out with a hammer and some steerer tube cutoffs I had lying
    around. Not a problem. I would give it a shot. You really have nothing
    to lose.
    --------------
    Alex

  18. Werehatrack

    Werehatrack Guest

    On Thu, 15 Sep 2005 17:08:17 GMT, "ellis" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Bought this NOS Schwinn BMX frame from Nashbar when they were blowing them
    >out. It took three weeks to get here (god knows where it got routed to) and
    >the headtube came damaged, since they packed it with no padding, just some
    >cardboard strips wrapped around the tubes. Nashbar is out of stock on this
    >puppy, so they can't even send me a new one. Repairable? TIA.
    >
    > http://66.246.93.5/sale/pix/sell_archive/predator_comp.jpg
    >
    >http://66.246.93.5/sale/pix/sell_archive/schwinn_predator2.jpg

    IMO, a little careful application of blacksmithing and auto body shop
    techniques would get it round enough to accept a headset. Purists
    would scream that such a repair would not be able to leave the frame
    either square enough or adequately aligned, but for this type of
    application, I really don't think it will have any huge long-term
    disadvantages.

    If it were mine, and the hassle of filing for a damage claim with the
    carrier was more than the value of the frame, I would straighten it
    and not worry. Mark Hickey's procedural comments are one place to
    start, though I have some other tools that I would personally bring to
    bear in such a situation. What you have available may limit your
    choices of technique.

    Before deciding whether to repair, file a damage claim, or return,
    there are at least two things to think about. If the item was shipped
    via USPS, there is no damage claim possible unless Nashbar shipped it
    insured, and it will be almost exactly 180 days from when you file a
    damage claim before you get paid if insurance was purchased. If the
    item was shipped via UPS or FedEx, the shipping damage claim may be
    declined due to the inadeqaute packing, in which case you'll most
    likely just get a refund from Nashbar.

    It's your call. If it was me, I'd probably have had it fitted with a
    headset in less time than it took to compose this response...but I've
    done similar things more than once in the past.
    --
    Typoes are a feature, not a bug.