F1 rule change

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Simon Mason, Jan 26, 2003.

  1. Simon Mason

    Simon Mason Guest

    F1 racing has just decided that it's fed up of the same old boring procession every race, so in
    order to even things up a bit, they've banned radio links between driver and team HQ (as well as
    data telemetry). Further to my Lance question last week, I wonder if he wins this years TdeF, will
    the organisers will ban his radio as well?

  2. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    M Series <[email protected]> wrote:
    > Not really the same comparison is it ? The radio link to a cyclist makes the race safer and more
    > exciting. The team car no longer has to push up so that the DS can talk to his rider.

    Perhaps now we'll see Jean Todt driving alongside Schumacher bellowing instructions to him out the
    car window while a mechanic hangs out the rear window reprogramming the engine ;-)

    Tony

    http://www.raven-family.com

    "The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place" George
    Bernard Shaw.

  3. Tony W

    Tony W Guest

    > F1 racing has just decided that it's fed up of the same old boring procession every race, so in
    > order to even things up a bit, they've banned radio links between driver and team HQ (as well as
    > data telemetry).
    Further
    > to my Lance question last week, I wonder if he wins this years TdeF, will the organisers will ban
    > his radio as well?

    I suspect it was the team's ability to reprogram the car to modify its set up that was the critical
    bit they wanted to ban rather than the driver's ability to order a tank of petrol, 4 tyres, and tea
    & biccies for lap 23.

    Others have dominated to TdF for long periods -- Armstrong is just warming up.

  4. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On Sat, 18 Jan 2003 10:00:41 -0000, "Simon Mason" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >F1 racing has just decided that it's fed up of the same old boring procession every race, so in
    >order to even things up a bit, they've banned radio links between driver and team HQ

    They could make it really interesting - halve the number of wheels and ban engines :)

    Guy
    ===
    dynamic DNS permitting)
    work. Apologies.

  5. M Series

    M Series Guest

    Not really the same comparison is it ? The radio link to a cyclist makes the race safer and more
    exciting. The team car no longer has to push up so that the DS can talk to his rider. Why should
    they ban Armstrong ? He is animating the race far more than Indurain did, only the French press seem
    to dislike him and that's because he is not French and was thrown out of a French team for getting
    cancer treatment !

    Anyway the cost of the radio equipment is not prohibitive so all teams could get it and hence
    compete on a level playing field.

  6. On Sat, 18 Jan 2003 10:00:41 -0000, "Simon Mason" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >F1 racing has just decided that it's fed up of the same old boring procession every race, so in
    >order to even things up a bit, they've banned radio links between driver and team HQ (as well as
    >data telemetry). Further to my Lance question last week, I wonder if he wins this years TdeF, will
    >the organisers will ban his radio as well?

    Yeah, having defended the use of radios in cycling in the previous thread, I had to smile at this
    news. The new qualifying rules and banning the use telemetry will be a much bigger influence as it
    was at the stage the team could make adjustments to the car's set-up from the pit lane

    In cycling the mechanic still has to hang out the team car to make adjustments on the move and the
    domestiques still have to ride in the wind and fetch the bottles.

    While the outcome of TdF and F1 may currently be predictable, the process of getting there in TdF is
    much more interesting. Cheers! Stephen

  7. Les Kennedy

    Les Kennedy Guest

    I don't know if it makes the racing more exciting. In the old days, there would always be confusion
    over exactly what was happening in the race. Nowadays the DS's can watch the TV coverage as they go,
    and tell Lance & whoever exactly what is happening. That way they can take it easier than they might
    have had to do in the past. Armstrong is great, but I prefer the showmanship of Hinault !

    --

    "M Series" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Not really the same comparison is it ? The radio link to a cyclist makes
    the
    > race safer and more exciting. The team car no longer has to push up so
    that
    > the DS can talk to his rider. Why should they ban Armstrong ? He is animating the race far more
    > than Indurain did, only the French press seem
    > dislike him and that's because he is not French and was thrown out of a French team for getting
    > cancer treatment !
    >

    > Anyway the cost of the radio equipment is not prohibitive so all teams
    could
    > get it and hence compete on a level playing field.
    >
    > "Simon Mason" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > F1 racing has just decided that it's fed up of the same old boring procession every race, so in
    > > order to even things up a bit, they've
    banned
    > > radio links between driver and team HQ (as well as data telemetry).
    > Further
    > > to my Lance question last week, I wonder if he wins this years TdeF,
    will
    > > the organisers will ban his radio as well?
    > >
    > > --
    > > Simon Mason Anlaby East Yorkshire. 53°44'N 0°26'W http://www.simonmason.karoo.net

  8. G S Banner

    G S Banner Guest

    only the French press seem to
    > dislike him and that's because he is not French and was thrown out of a French team for getting
    > cancer treatment !

    IIRC, the press hating him is linked to one specific event. Armstrong can speak fluent french, and
    used to conduct his post race press conferences in French. But during the recent Tour that had the
    drug raids/team expulsions etc, he felt that his answers in french he had been misquoted/taken out
    of context/misunderstood. So he simply stopped talking to the press in French (I can't remember if
    he made them ask questions in English as well). They didn't take that awfully well, but since it was
    intended as a bid fuck off to them collectively, I don't suppose they were meant to.

    I think since then in true journo style they've subsequently chucked in the drug rumours/Ferrari
    links for the hell of it (no doubt the fact that there's no chance of a Frenchie winning the tour
    for the foreseeable hasn't help the relationship between the French press and LA).