F1 rule change

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Simon Mason

F1 racing has just decided that it's fed up of the same old boring procession every race, so in
order to even things up a bit, they've banned radio links between driver and team HQ (as well as
data telemetry). Further to my Lance question last week, I wonder if he wins this years TdeF, will
the organisers will ban his radio as well?

--
Simon Mason Anlaby East Yorkshire. 53°44'N 0°26'W http://www.simonmason.karoo.net

M Series <[email protected]> wrote:
> Not really the same comparison is it ? The radio link to a cyclist makes the race safer and more
> exciting. The team car no longer has to push up so that the DS can talk to his rider.
>

Perhaps now we'll see Jean Todt driving alongside Schumacher bellowing instructions to him out the
car window while a mechanic hangs out the rear window reprogramming the engine ;-)

Tony

http://www.raven-family.com

"The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place" George
Bernard Shaw.

"Simon Mason" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> F1 racing has just decided that it's fed up of the same old boring procession every race, so in
> order to even things up a bit, they've banned radio links between driver and team HQ (as well as
> data telemetry).
Further
> to my Lance question last week, I wonder if he wins this years TdeF, will the organisers will ban
> his radio as well?

I suspect it was the team's ability to reprogram the car to modify its set up that was the critical
bit they wanted to ban rather than the driver's ability to order a tank of petrol, 4 tyres, and tea
& biccies for lap 23.

Others have dominated to TdF for long periods -- Armstrong is just warming up.

T

On Sat, 18 Jan 2003 10:00:41 -0000, "Simon Mason" <[email protected]> wrote:

>F1 racing has just decided that it's fed up of the same old boring procession every race, so in
>order to even things up a bit, they've banned radio links between driver and team HQ

They could make it really interesting - halve the number of wheels and ban engines :)

Guy
===
** WARNING ** This posting may contain traces of irony. http://www.chapmancentral.com (BT ADSL and
dynamic DNS permitting)
NOTE: BT Openworld have now blocked port 25 (without notice), so old mail addresses may no longer
work. Apologies.

Not really the same comparison is it ? The radio link to a cyclist makes the race safer and more
exciting. The team car no longer has to push up so that the DS can talk to his rider. Why should
they ban Armstrong ? He is animating the race far more than Indurain did, only the French press seem
to dislike him and that's because he is not French and was thrown out of a French team for getting
cancer treatment !

Anyway the cost of the radio equipment is not prohibitive so all teams could get it and hence
compete on a level playing field.

"Simon Mason" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> F1 racing has just decided that it's fed up of the same old boring procession every race, so in
> order to even things up a bit, they've banned radio links between driver and team HQ (as well as
> data telemetry).
Further
> to my Lance question last week, I wonder if he wins this years TdeF, will the organisers will ban
> his radio as well?
>
> --
> Simon Mason Anlaby East Yorkshire. 53°44'N 0°26'W http://www.simonmason.karoo.net

On Sat, 18 Jan 2003 10:00:41 -0000, "Simon Mason" <[email protected]> wrote:

>F1 racing has just decided that it's fed up of the same old boring procession every race, so in
>order to even things up a bit, they've banned radio links between driver and team HQ (as well as
>data telemetry). Further to my Lance question last week, I wonder if he wins this years TdeF, will
>the organisers will ban his radio as well?

Yeah, having defended the use of radios in cycling in the previous thread, I had to smile at this
news. The new qualifying rules and banning the use telemetry will be a much bigger influence as it
was at the stage the team could make adjustments to the car's set-up from the pit lane

In cycling the mechanic still has to hang out the team car to make adjustments on the move and the
domestiques still have to ride in the wind and fetch the bottles.

While the outcome of TdF and F1 may currently be predictable, the process of getting there in TdF is
much more interesting. Cheers! Stephen

I don't know if it makes the racing more exciting. In the old days, there would always be confusion
over exactly what was happening in the race. Nowadays the DS's can watch the TV coverage as they go,
and tell Lance & whoever exactly what is happening. That way they can take it easier than they might
have had to do in the past. Armstrong is great, but I prefer the showmanship of Hinault !

--

"M Series" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Not really the same comparison is it ? The radio link to a cyclist makes
the
> race safer and more exciting. The team car no longer has to push up so
that
> the DS can talk to his rider. Why should they ban Armstrong ? He is animating the race far more
> than Indurain did, only the French press seem
to
> dislike him and that's because he is not French and was thrown out of a French team for getting
> cancer treatment !
>
>
> Anyway the cost of the radio equipment is not prohibitive so all teams
could
> get it and hence compete on a level playing field.
>
> "Simon Mason" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > F1 racing has just decided that it's fed up of the same old boring procession every race, so in
> > order to even things up a bit, they've
banned
> > radio links between driver and team HQ (as well as data telemetry).
> Further
> > to my Lance question last week, I wonder if he wins this years TdeF,
will
> > the organisers will ban his radio as well?
> >
> > --
> > Simon Mason Anlaby East Yorkshire. 53°44'N 0°26'W http://www.simonmason.karoo.net
> >
>

only the French press seem to
> dislike him and that's because he is not French and was thrown out of a French team for getting
> cancer treatment !
>
>

IIRC, the press hating him is linked to one specific event. Armstrong can speak fluent french, and
used to conduct his post race press conferences in French. But during the recent Tour that had the
drug raids/team expulsions etc, he felt that his answers in french he had been misquoted/taken out
of context/misunderstood. So he simply stopped talking to the press in French (I can't remember if
he made them ask questions in English as well). They didn't take that awfully well, but since it was
intended as a bid **** off to them collectively, I don't suppose they were meant to.

I think since then in true journo style they've subsequently chucked in the drug rumours/Ferrari
links for the hell of it (no doubt the fact that there's no chance of a Frenchie winning the tour
for the foreseeable hasn't help the relationship between the French press and LA).

Status
Not open for further replies.