F900 or SantaCruz

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Uncle Bingo, Sep 9, 2004.

  1. Uncle Bingo

    Uncle Bingo Guest

    I'm considuring purchasing a UK Cannondale 04 F900 for a sale price of
    £1200 (rrp£1600). Other than the F4000SL which is completely out of my
    reach, its the only European modal with an Opimo frame and Lefty fork
    (which I'm reliably informed is far superior to the Fatty Ultra in
    terms of travel and control).

    However, before I part with my cash I wanted the groups view on whether
    its possible to build a SantaCruz or indeed any top brand US/Can bike
    for simular money, As I'm visiting the US in October for 2 weeks, and
    could feasably work with a US store to build it up whilst out there
    (before breaking it back down and squeezing it into a suitcase). (c:
    The F900 isn't a US modal, and the 05 F1000 use the Furio frame.

    I ride mostly fast single track so I'm after a light, sub 24lbs
    hardtail with a plush 100mm fork.
    What should I be considuring?

    Tags:

  2. Uncle Bingo says:

    <snip>

    Just buy both and have done with it. You know you want to... ;-)

    Steve

  3. Ride-A-Lot

    Ride-A-Lot Guest

    Uncle Bingo wrote:

    > I'm considuring purchasing a UK Cannondale 04 F900 for a sale price of
    > £1200 (rrp£1600). Other than the F4000SL which is completely out of my
    > reach, its the only European modal with an Opimo frame and Lefty fork
    > (which I'm reliably informed is far superior to the Fatty Ultra in terms
    > of travel and control).
    >
    > However, before I part with my cash I wanted the groups view on whether
    > its possible to build a SantaCruz or indeed any top brand US/Can bike
    > for simular money, As I'm visiting the US in October for 2 weeks, and
    > could feasably work with a US store to build it up whilst out there
    > (before breaking it back down and squeezing it into a suitcase). (c:
    > The F900 isn't a US modal, and the 05 F1000 use the Furio frame.
    >
    > I ride mostly fast single track so I'm after a light, sub 24lbs hardtail
    > with a plush 100mm fork.
    > What should I be considuring?

    Holy sh*t! I swear the same questions come up every week for the same
    goddam bikes. Just do a google search for Santa Crud and Crapandfail,
    you'll get the idea. :) You have to search those words, because you'll
    see them more than the real names.

    --
    o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
    www.schnauzers.ws

  4. Uncle Bingo

    Uncle Bingo Guest

    On 2004-09-09 11:30:30 +0100, Ride-A-Lot <[email protected]> said:

    > Uncle Bingo wrote:
    >
    >> I'm considuring purchasing a UK Cannondale 04 F900 for a sale price of
    >> £1200 (rrp£1600). Other than the F4000SL which is completely out of my
    >> reach, its the only European modal with an Opimo frame and Lefty fork
    >> (which I'm reliably informed is far superior to the Fatty Ultra in
    >> terms of travel and control).
    >>
    >> However, before I part with my cash I wanted the groups view on whether
    >> its possible to build a SantaCruz or indeed any top brand US/Can bike
    >> for simular money, As I'm visiting the US in October for 2 weeks, and
    >> could feasably work with a US store to build it up whilst out there
    >> (before breaking it back down and squeezing it into a suitcase). (c:
    >> The F900 isn't a US modal, and the 05 F1000 use the Furio frame.
    >>
    >> I ride mostly fast single track so I'm after a light, sub 24lbs
    >> hardtail with a plush 100mm fork.
    >> What should I be considuring?
    >>

    > Holy sh*t! I swear the same questions come up every week for the same
    > goddam bikes. Just do a google search for Santa Crud and Crapandfail,
    > you'll get the idea. :) You have to search those words, because you'll
    > see them more than the real names.

    Ride-A-Lot
    Thanks for the tip, although Google only returned 3 results for
    Crapandfail. The newsgroups they refered to focused on a small number
    of Coda parts, a suspension seat post and poorly maintained forks
    boots, i.e. people not replacing the lower boot cable tie and
    regreesing the fork stantion.

    As for "Santa Crud", the over riding impression I took was that their
    gear is sound. Although craftsmanship can be debaited all day as its
    subjective, most people were keen to defend their choice.

    Do you have any sudgestion of bikes that I should be looking at?

  5. Ride-A-Lot

    Ride-A-Lot Guest

    Uncle Bingo wrote:
    > On 2004-09-09 11:30:30 +0100, Ride-A-Lot <[email protected]>
    > said:
    >
    >> Uncle Bingo wrote:
    >>
    >>> I'm considuring purchasing a UK Cannondale 04 F900 for a sale price
    >>> of £1200 (rrp£1600). Other than the F4000SL which is completely out
    >>> of my reach, its the only European modal with an Opimo frame and
    >>> Lefty fork (which I'm reliably informed is far superior to the Fatty
    >>> Ultra in terms of travel and control).
    >>>
    >>> However, before I part with my cash I wanted the groups view on
    >>> whether its possible to build a SantaCruz or indeed any top brand
    >>> US/Can bike for simular money, As I'm visiting the US in October for
    >>> 2 weeks, and could feasably work with a US store to build it up
    >>> whilst out there (before breaking it back down and squeezing it into
    >>> a suitcase). (c:
    >>> The F900 isn't a US modal, and the 05 F1000 use the Furio frame.
    >>>
    >>> I ride mostly fast single track so I'm after a light, sub 24lbs
    >>> hardtail with a plush 100mm fork.
    >>> What should I be considuring?
    >>>

    >> Holy sh*t! I swear the same questions come up every week for the same
    >> goddam bikes. Just do a google search for Santa Crud and Crapandfail,
    >> you'll get the idea. :) You have to search those words, because you'll
    >> see them more than the real names.

    > Ride-A-Lot
    > Thanks for the tip, although Google only returned 3 results for
    > Crapandfail. The newsgroups they refered to focused on a small number of
    > Coda parts, a suspension seat post and poorly maintained forks boots,
    > i.e. people not replacing the lower boot cable tie and regreesing the
    > fork stantion.
    >
    > As for "Santa Crud", the over riding impression I took was that
    > their gear is sound. Although craftsmanship can be debaited all day as
    > its subjective, most people were keen to defend their choice.
    >
    > Do you have any sudgestion of bikes that I should be looking at?

    Well, if money is no object as your original choices may suggest then I
    have the following advice:

    1. Don't buy anything until you have tried it on. Fit is the most
    important thing on a bike.

    2. I don't own either of the ones you mentioned. I did try a Santa
    Cruz Blur, but at that time they were telling me 6 months to get a
    small. It was a nice ride and I know a lot of people who have them.
    They have never had any quality problems with them.

    3. People who buy Cannondales seem to swear by them. I know two people
    in my club with them and they can't stop praising them. I, for one try
    to stay away from things with exclusive componentry such as the lefty fork.

    4. The latest ones that I own are Yeti and an Ellsworth and enjoy them
    equally. Both are pricey bikes, the Ellsworth more so and I suppose you
    are paying for the name, but it's a nice ride.

    5. If I had the money you were looking to spend, check out Ventana and
    Titus. I rode a buddy's racer-x the other day and was very impressed.
    I believe they also make the racer-x in a 29er, which one of our club
    members has. It's too bad I'm so short or I would have a ball going
    over crap on that. Even the small frame was just uncomfortable with the
    29" wheels.

    This is just my opinion and you will probably get 30,000 different ones
    in this NG. Good luck.

    --
    o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
    www.schnauzers.ws

  6. Scott

    Scott Guest

    If I were you I would buy a used frame and build it up. If I was going to
    buy a used SC I would only buy a Bullit do maybe you should stay away from
    SC if you want XC.

  7. Carla A-G

    Carla A-G Guest

    "Scott" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:rvY%[email protected]
    > If I were you I would buy a used frame and build it up. If I was going to
    > buy a used SC I would only buy a Bullit do maybe you should stay away from
    > SC if you want XC.

    Why? What is your reasoning for that?

    - CA-G

    Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!

  8. Scott

    Scott Guest

    "Carla A-G" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > Why? What is your reasoning for that?
    >
    > - CA-G
    >
    > Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!

    Well you know I am a big SC fan but when buying a used frame I am personally
    scared off unless it is a frame that is pretty much indestructable, like the
    Bullit. Just my opinion. If I knew the person I was buying a SL from and I
    knew it's history I wouldn't hesitate buying it.

  9. S o r n i

    S o r n i Guest

    Uncle Bingo wrote:

    > Although craftsmanship can be debaited all day

    ^^^^^^^

    You mean like when the fish steals the worm?

    Bill "doing Baker's bloody job (brilliantly by the way)" S.

  10. R.White

    R.White Guest

    Ride-A-Lot <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Uncle Bingo wrote:
    >
    > > I'm considuring purchasing a UK Cannondale 04 F900 for a sale price of
    > > £1200 (rrp£1600). Other than the F4000SL which is completely out of my
    > > reach, its the only European modal with an Opimo frame and Lefty fork
    > > (which I'm reliably informed is far superior to the Fatty Ultra in terms
    > > of travel and control).
    > >
    > > However, before I part with my cash I wanted the groups view on whether
    > > its possible to build a SantaCruz or indeed any top brand US/Can bike
    > > for simular money, As I'm visiting the US in October for 2 weeks, and
    > > could feasably work with a US store to build it up whilst out there
    > > (before breaking it back down and squeezing it into a suitcase). (c:
    > > The F900 isn't a US modal, and the 05 F1000 use the Furio frame.
    > >
    > > I ride mostly fast single track so I'm after a light, sub 24lbs hardtail
    > > with a plush 100mm fork.
    > > What should I be considuring?
    > >

    > Holy sh*t! I swear the same questions come up every week for the same
    > goddam bikes. Just do a google search for Santa Crud and Crapandfail,
    > you'll get the idea. :) You have to search those words, because you'll
    > see them more than the real names.

    That's too funny especially since it's true.

  11. JD

    JD Guest

    Uncle Bingo <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<2004090910391916807%[email protected]>...
    > However, before I part with my cash I wanted the groups view on whether
    > its possible to build a SantaCruz or indeed any top brand US/Can bike
    > for simular money <snip>

    That's where you've got it all mixed-up. Neither of the brands you
    have limited yourself to so far are "top". Buy yourself a Surly 1x1
    and be done with it.

    JD

  12. Carla A-G

    Carla A-G Guest

    "Scott" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:cT_%[email protected]
    > "Carla A-G" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > Why? What is your reasoning for that?
    > >
    > > - CA-G
    > >
    > > Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!

    > Well you know I am a big SC fan but when buying a used frame I am

    personally
    > scared off unless it is a frame that is pretty much indestructable, like

    the
    > Bullit. Just my opinion. If I knew the person I was buying a SL from and

    > knew it's history I wouldn't hesitate buying it.

    That can be said for any used frame, no matter what brand it is...

    - CA-G

    Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!

  13. Mike Kennedy

    Mike Kennedy Guest

    Well I have been riding an F900 for a couple of years now and I had been
    really happy with it except for the CODA Expert disc brakes. These things
    suck! However while I was in getting my new Avid Mechanical disc installed,
    I was told that Cannondale saw the light and no longer use these, they use
    Hayes I think.
    So up until this summer I had absolutely no problems with this bike aside
    from the normal Cannondale creak and crappy brakes. The thing flies and the
    control is the best of any bike that I have ridden.Well my Headshok
    cartridge failed during a race so I took it in to have it replaced. To keep
    the story short, I got my bike back after 3 weeks of hassles. Fairly
    expensive and too long a wait. And I had no other choice because of the
    headtube/headset size.
    I decided to change the length of my stem (make it shorter). Guess what, I
    had to order it because of the Headshok size and it was too expensive.

    So, would I buy another Cannondale MTB? No, I want to have the freedom to
    buy parts inexpensively and not have to wait for parts to be ordered unless
    it is my choice.

    Mike Kennedy

    "Uncle Bingo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:2004090910391916807%[email protected]
    > I'm considuring purchasing a UK Cannondale 04 F900 for a sale price of
    > £1200 (rrp£1600). Other than the F4000SL which is completely out of my
    > reach, its the only European modal with an Opimo frame and Lefty fork
    > (which I'm reliably informed is far superior to the Fatty Ultra in
    > terms of travel and control).
    >
    > However, before I part with my cash I wanted the groups view on whether
    > its possible to build a SantaCruz or indeed any top brand US/Can bike
    > for simular money, As I'm visiting the US in October for 2 weeks, and
    > could feasably work with a US store to build it up whilst out there
    > (before breaking it back down and squeezing it into a suitcase). (c:
    > The F900 isn't a US modal, and the 05 F1000 use the Furio frame.
    >
    > I ride mostly fast single track so I'm after a light, sub 24lbs
    > hardtail with a plush 100mm fork.
    > What should I be considuring?

  14. Sorni says:

    >Bill "doing Baker's bloody job (brilliantly by the way)" S.

    There's nothing bloody about it - it's fun ;-P

    Carry on...

    Actually, it's my _real_ job that has had me slowing down on the Smelling-Nazi
    (typo intended, Dave - relax!) job. Too much time at work, no ngs available
    (but we're working on it)

    Steve

  15. JD

    JD Guest

    "Mike Kennedy" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    <snip>
    > So, would I buy another Cannondale MTB? No, I want to have the freedom to
    > buy parts inexpensively and not have to wait for parts to be ordered unless
    > it is my choice.
    >
    > Mike Kennedy

    Honest, lucid and spot-on. Thanks for not being a blind brand
    loyalist and giving it an honest firsthand perspective, Mike. We all
    make purchase mistakes from time to time and those who can admit it
    are better for it in the long run.

    JD

  16. S o r n i

    S o r n i Guest

    Stephen Baker wrote:
    > Sorni says:
    >
    >> Bill "doing Baker's bloody job (brilliantly by the way)" S.

    > There's nothing bloody about it - it's fun ;-P
    >
    > Carry on...
    >
    > Actually, it's my _real_ job that has had me slowing down on the
    > Smelling-Nazi (typo intended, Dave - relax!) job. Too much time at
    > work, no ngs available (but we're working on it)

    That's right, I forgot you went legit! Whip them people in shape already!

    Bill "no jay oh bee 4 me baby" S.

  17. Sorni says:

    >That's right, I forgot you went legit!

    Dunno about "legit", but it's a paycheck and the tax is already paid. ;-)
    Speaking of which, I had my first paid vacation day in something like 20 years
    on Monday. Strange feeling.

    >Whip them people in shape already!

    Working on it.

    >Bill "no jay oh bee 4 me baby" S.

    You'll be back - it's too expensive not to be. ;-)

    Steve
    Stephen C. Baker - Yacht Designer
    http://members.aol.com/SailDesign/private/scbweb/home.htm

  18. S o r n i

    S o r n i Guest

    Stephen Baker wrote:
    > Sorni says:
    >
    >> Bill "no jay oh bee 4 me baby" S.

    > You'll be back - it's too expensive not to be. ;-)

    Started my biz (Fortune 5 billion...maybe) in early 1986, so hopefully not.
    Got some cyanide and a glass of Koolaid in a little glass case, just
    in...er, case.

    Bill "self under-employed (and never going back)" S.

  19. Mike Kennedy

    Mike Kennedy Guest

    Right you are Ken!

    > "Mike Kennedy" <[email protected]> wrote in message

    news:<[email protected]>...
    > <snip>
    > > So, would I buy another Cannondale MTB? No, I want to have the freedom

    > > buy parts inexpensively and not have to wait for parts to be ordered

    unless
    > > it is my choice.
    > >
    > > Mike Kennedy

    > Honest, lucid and spot-on. Thanks for not being a blind brand
    > loyalist and giving it an honest firsthand perspective, Mike. We all
    > make purchase mistakes from time to time and those who can admit it
    > are better for it in the long run.
    >
    > JD

  20. > 3. People who buy Cannondales seem to swear by them. I know two people
    > in my club with them and they can't stop praising them. I, for one try to
    > stay away from things with exclusive componentry such as the lefty fork.

    This is true, but that's because the Lefty fork really is that good. Their
    headshoks are also ridiculously stiff.

    I work at a shop that deals Giant and Specialized bikes, and I love them
    both. I honestly hate Cannondale, but some of their stuff really is
    innovative and amazing at times.

    --
    Phil, Squid-in-Training