FA: AWESOME ABICI TT BIKE LAST 3 HOURS!!

In article <[email protected]>,
"Edward Dike, III" <edd(2+1)[email protected]> wrote:

> It may have been a "$7000 item" to someone, at sometime, but if it sells for
> $2000, it's now a $2000 item.
>
> as to sniping: Bid what you are willing to pay. And if someone else is
> willing to pay more.....
>
> the cruel realities of the marketplace.... for all involved.
>
> What the 'seller' did was clearly unethical, as he backed out of an
> agreement. Hopefully his actions will attach themselves to his reputation.
> Bidding low, winning, promptly paying, even if $1.00, would be completely
> ethical.

Well, and the whole point is that if he wasn't willing to sell for less
than $3500, or whatever, all he needed to do was set a reserve price.
The fact that he didn't--and presumably knew he wouldn't sell it for
under $2000, or whatever his minimum price was--is what makes him a
slimeball.

--Harold Buck

"I used to rock and roll all night,
and party every day.
Then it was every other day. . . ."
-Homer J. Simpson

In article <eh7_c.6756$w%[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...
> perhaps you are all right...the truth is that i was contacted outside of
> ebay by a friend of a friend who heard i was selling the bike. he made me
> an offer and i accepted, then proceeded to cancel the auction. for those of
> you who want to "yank" my account....you are free to do what you will but
> you should take a closer look at what i have sold in the past and for what
> price. you would really be doing yourselves a disservice. you are right, i
> should have set a reserve but i just assumed cyclists would see a
> practically new $7,000 tt bike and not assume they would walk away with it
> for a paltry $3,000. that is what i wrote in the description and that is
> why i started the bidding at $1, because i honestly figured people would
> realize what was up for sale. my bad. in the future i shall most certainly
> put a reserve on something of high value....although i somehow feel i would
> just be reading more complaints of "good luck", or "yeah, like he's really
> gonna get that"....

Keep in mind that bidders don't know what your reserve is, unlike
setting the starting bid.

> only reaffirms my suspicions that ebay is best suited to mid-level
> merchandise...

That's probably true.

> peace,
> antony

Thanks for coming back and telling us why you canceled the auction.

newsgroups if possible).

In article <[email protected]>, "Edward Dike, III" <edd
(2+1)[email protected]> says...

> It may have been a "$7000 item" to someone, at sometime, but if it sells for
> $2000, it's now a $2000 item.
>
> as to sniping: Bid what you are willing to pay. And if someone else is
> willing to pay more.....

Yep. That always works the best. I'll usually put in one lowball bid
just to see what happens, and if it gets outbid early, then I put in the
real max price I'm willing to pay. As you say, if someone beats that,
it's not my problem, because I don't want it if I have to pay more than
I bid.

newsgroups if possible).

On Fri, 03 Sep 2004 23:39:54 GMT, "Antony Galvan" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>perhaps you are all right...the truth is that i was contacted outside of
>ebay by a friend of a friend who heard i was selling the bike. he made me
>an offer and i accepted, then proceeded to cancel the auction. for those of
>you who want to "yank" my account....you are free to do what you will but
>you should take a closer look at what i have sold in the past and for what
>price. you would really be doing yourselves a disservice. you are right, i
>should have set a reserve but i just assumed cyclists would see a
>practically new $7,000 tt bike and not assume they would walk away with it
>for a paltry $3,000.

Why not? I'm not gonna beat up on you and I'm only partially being a smartass
here, but what makes you think it's worth much more than $3K.

Used bleeding edge gear depreciates very fast, like the moment it goes out the
door almost half the price is gone. Give another couple months for newer,
latest, greatest, lightest and yet more trick products to be announced and the
price dives again. Make it a year old and now the buyers are people looking at
the utility value instead of the style points for having the coolest thing and
the price is down yet again.

Face it, there really aren't that many guys who NEED a bike like that who aren't
getting it paid for by the team. The rest want bragging rights. They'll pay more
but for new stuff.

Anyway, it's your bike and it may well go for more in another venue.

Best of luck with it.

Ron

RonSonic <[email protected]> writes:

> On Fri, 03 Sep 2004 23:39:54 GMT, "Antony Galvan"
> <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
>>perhaps you are all right...the truth is that i was contacted
>>outside of ebay by a friend of a friend who heard i was selling the
>>bike. he made me an offer and i accepted, then proceeded to cancel
>>the auction. for those of you who want to "yank" my account....you
>>are free to do what you will but you should take a closer look at
>>what i have sold in the past and for what price. you would really
>>be doing yourselves a disservice. you are right, i should have set
>>a reserve but i just assumed cyclists would see a practically new
>>$7,000 tt bike and not assume they would walk away with it for a
>>paltry $3,000.

> Used bleeding edge gear depreciates very fast, like the moment it
> goes out the door almost half the price is gone. Give another couple
> months for newer, latest, greatest, lightest and yet more trick
> products to be announced and the price dives again. Make it a year
> old and now the buyers are people looking at the utility value
> instead of the style points for having the coolest thing and the
> price is down yet again.

An unpalatable truth for the seller, perhaps, but right on the money.
So to speak. ;-)

On Thu, 09 Sep 2004 18:49:55 -0500, Tim McNamara <[email protected]> wrote:

>RonSonic <[email protected]> writes:
>
>> On Fri, 03 Sep 2004 23:39:54 GMT, "Antony Galvan"
>> <[email protected]>
>> wrote:
>>
>>>perhaps you are all right...the truth is that i was contacted
>>>outside of ebay by a friend of a friend who heard i was selling the
>>>bike. he made me an offer and i accepted, then proceeded to cancel
>>>the auction. for those of you who want to "yank" my account....you
>>>are free to do what you will but you should take a closer look at
>>>what i have sold in the past and for what price. you would really
>>>be doing yourselves a disservice. you are right, i should have set
>>>a reserve but i just assumed cyclists would see a practically new
>>>$7,000 tt bike and not assume they would walk away with it for a
>>>paltry $3,000.

>> Used bleeding edge gear depreciates very fast, like the moment it
>> goes out the door almost half the price is gone. Give another couple
>> months for newer, latest, greatest, lightest and yet more trick
>> products to be announced and the price dives again. Make it a year
>> old and now the buyers are people looking at the utility value
>> instead of the style points for having the coolest thing and the
>> price is down yet again.

>An unpalatable truth for the seller, perhaps, but right on the money.
>So to speak. ;-)

I'm afraid so. He will probably do better in another market, but eBay is full of
bargain hunters. Even so, _I_ am amazed at how fast some of this stuff
depreciates. The bike as we know it has been so refined after over a century of
aggressive R&D that the improvements are so incremental that we're way past the
knee of the cost : benefit curve. Anyone shopping for value is going to stay
just at the exit of that curve - that ain't the bleeding edge.

Ron