FA: Triathlon Tops

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by Roofi, Feb 25, 2004.

  1. Andrew Swan

    Andrew Swan Guest

  2. gravelmuncher

    gravelmuncher New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 14, 2003
    I disagree entirely with these two posts. #1 - I don't care much for these painfull ebay links on what is generally an informative forum, and #2 - Andrew, Triathlon most definately does NOT suck. Triathlon can be an extremely rewarding experience...not too far removed from an energetic, passionate one night stand. If you lay the right groundwork prior to the event, the outcome can be tremendous.

    (Toungue planted firmly in cheek)

    ~j~

  3. Ritch

    Ritch Guest

  4. Hippy

    Hippy Guest

    "Ritch" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Triathlon sucks? I thought it was draft-free! Group riding sucks...

    Well, tri's are draft free unless you are racing Elite, then drafting is allowed. Why? I have no
    idea. It seems to undermine the ITT (Individual Time Trial) nature of the racing. Makes for more
    interesting bike legs though, that's for sure!

    hippy

  5. Andrew Swan

    Andrew Swan Guest

    gravelmuncher wrote:
    > I disagree entirely with these two posts. #1 - I don't care much for these painfull ebay links on
    > what is generally an informative forum, and
    > #2 - Andrew, Triathlon most definately does NOT suck. Triathlon can be
    > an extremely rewarding experience...not too far removed from an energetic, passionate one night
    > stand. If you lay the right groundwork prior to the event, the outcome can be tremendous.
    >
    > (Toungue planted firmly in cheek)
    >
    > ~j~

    Actually GM, I'm just jealous of tri'letes because:
    (a) I can't swim to save my life
    (b) Although I've run a marathon, my knees are now shot and I can't run anymore
    (c) Tri clubs seem to be pretty much gender-balanced!

    &roo

  6. Andrew Swan

    Andrew Swan Guest

    hippy wrote:
    > Well, tri's are draft free unless you are racing Elite, then drafting is allowed. Why? I have no
    > idea. It seems to undermine the ITT (Individual Time Trial) nature of the racing. Makes for more
    > interesting bike legs though, that's for sure!

    My guess would be that organisers of lower-level tris disallow drafting primarily because of the
    risk of collisions, given that:
    (1) triathletes have worse bike handling skills than dedicated cyclists (although paradoxically,
    introducing drafting to tris would help fix this)
    (2) unlike roadies (except in designated ITTs), triathletes are allowed to use aero bars, and
    drafting someone while you're on aero bars would be much more dangerous than while you're on the
    hoods/drops (steering is harder and braking is impossible)
    (3) triathletes tend to stare at themselves in shop windows as they ride past
    (4) if a triathlete was to pull out an energy gel while in a bunch, they might take their eyes off
    the wheel in front and stare dangerously at the gel packet, just because it says "concentrate".

    &roo

  7. Hippy

    Hippy Guest

    "Andrew Swan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > (3) triathletes tend to stare at themselves in shop windows as they ride past
    > (4) if a triathlete was to pull out an energy gel while in a bunch, they might take their eyes off
    > the wheel in front and stare dangerously at the gel packet, just because it says
    > "concentrate".

    Nice one! Did you ever think of working as a comedian? :)

    hippy