Fabio Paro?

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Badger, Dec 14, 2004.

  1. Badger

    Badger Guest

    In the 2001 TdF the commentators mention his name is as being the reason
    they introduced barriers in the last part of the climb to l'Alpe d'Huez.

    Can anyone fill me in on this? Not sure I have the name spelled right;
    sorry. ;-)

    TiA

    -B

    Tags:

  2. On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 16:08:16 -0500, Badger wrote:
    > In the 2001 TdF the commentators mention his name is as being the reason
    > they introduced barriers in the last part of the climb to l'Alpe d'Huez.

    Giuseppe Guerini?

    --
    Firefox Web Browser - Rediscover the web - http://getffox.com/

  3. Badger

    Badger Guest

    On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 22:57:45 +0100, Ewoud Dronkert
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 16:08:16 -0500, Badger wrote:
    >> In the 2001 TdF the commentators mention his name is as being the reason
    >> they introduced barriers in the last part of the climb to l'Alpe d'Huez.

    >Giuseppe Guerini?

    No, Guerini was the one who had a réunion fortuite with Eric the
    Photographer. (see: WORLD CYCLING PRODUCTIONS, 1999 Tour de France, An
    American in Paris, Volume 1, Tape 1)

    -B

  4. Bob Schwartz

    Bob Schwartz Guest

    Badger <[email protected]> wrote:
    > In the 2001 TdF the commentators mention his name is as being the reason
    > they introduced barriers in the last part of the climb to l'Alpe d'Huez.

    > Can anyone fill me in on this? Not sure I have the name spelled right;
    > sorry. ;-)

    I believe it was 1988. I am doing this from memory, I can check
    the details when I get home. But I think it was Parra and Herrera
    that were leading the race when the crowds got too thick causing
    a backup of the race traffic. In the confusion and disarray it
    was Rooks that slipped through for the stage win.

    Bob Schwartz
    [email protected]

  5. On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 17:10:38 -0500, Badger wrote:
    >>> In the 2001 TdF the commentators mention his name is as being the reason
    >>> they introduced barriers in the last part of the climb to l'Alpe d'Huez.

    >> Giuseppe Guerini?

    > No, Guerini was the one who had a réunion fortuite with Eric the
    > Photographer.

    I know, that's precisely why I suggested it might have been he that was
    the reason. But Schwartz got it right I guess (except of course for the
    fact that Rooks, my fellow countryman, was a lucky winner).

    --
    Firefox Web Browser - Rediscover the web - http://getffox.com/

  6. Badger

    Badger Guest

    On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 22:24:28 -0000, Bob Schwartz <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >Badger <[email protected]> wrote:
    >> In the 2001 TdF the commentators mention his name is as being the reason
    >> they introduced barriers in the last part of the climb to l'Alpe d'Huez.

    >> Can anyone fill me in on this? Not sure I have the name spelled right;
    >> sorry. ;-)

    >I believe it was 1988. I am doing this from memory, I can check
    >the details when I get home. But I think it was Parra and Herrera
    >that were leading the race when the crowds got too thick causing
    >a backup of the race traffic. In the confusion and disarray it
    >was Rooks that slipped through for the stage win.
    >
    >Bob Schwartz
    >[email protected]

    Thanks Bob. Sorry for the misspelling of 'Parra'. No wonder I couldn't find
    it in a web search. I was trying to hear pronounciation from the WCP DVD
    commentary.

    Amazing how much interference that the crowds (and sometimes the
    motorcycles) cause to the cyclists.

    -B

  7. Ed Sullivan

    Ed Sullivan Guest

    Badger wrote:
    > In the 2001 TdF the commentators mention his name is as being the

    reason
    > they introduced barriers in the last part of the climb to l'Alpe

    d'Huez.

    > Can anyone fill me in on this? Not sure I have the name spelled

    right;
    > sorry. ;-)
    >
    > TiA
    >
    > -B

    Fabio Parra was a well known Columbian rider of the eighties and early
    ninties. He was feared on the climbs and was thought be a tour
    contender, although he never made the podium.

  8. Ed Sullivan

    Ed Sullivan Guest

    Badger wrote:
    > In the 2001 TdF the commentators mention his name is as being the

    reason
    > they introduced barriers in the last part of the climb to l'Alpe

    d'Huez.

    > Can anyone fill me in on this? Not sure I have the name spelled

    right;
    > sorry. ;-)
    >
    > TiA
    >
    > -B

    Fabio Parra was a well known Columbian rider of the 1980s and early
    1990s. He was thought to be a Tour contender, however, despite same
    flashes of brilliance in various stages, he never made the podium.

  9. "Bob Schwartz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]rp.supernews.com...
    > Badger <[email protected]> wrote:
    > > In the 2001 TdF the commentators mention his name is as being the reason
    > > they introduced barriers in the last part of the climb to l'Alpe d'Huez.

    > > Can anyone fill me in on this? Not sure I have the name spelled right;
    > > sorry. ;-)

    > I believe it was 1988. I am doing this from memory, I can check
    > the details when I get home. But I think it was Parra and Herrera
    > that were leading the race when the crowds got too thick causing
    > a backup of the race traffic. In the confusion and disarray it
    > was Rooks that slipped through for the stage win.
    >
    > Bob Schwartz
    > [email protected]

    I don't ever remember an AdH finish that had no barriers at the top, but
    maybe they added them farther down as a result of this:
    http://tinyurl.com/6w2ou (Torelli site) 1988 history

    Things exploded on the final run up the 21 hairpin turns of the L'Alpe.
    Fabio Parra repeatedly tried to get away, but he couldn't get through the
    crowds blocking the leading motorcyles. Dutchman Steven Rooks managed to
    escape, closely followed by Delgado and Rook's good friend Gert-Jan
    Theunisse. Parra was six seconds behind Delgado. The rest of the field,
    including all of the erstwhile contenders were scattered down the mountain.
    Luis Herrera was only 1 minute 67 seconds behind, but Hampsten was 10th, 4
    minutes 21 seconds back. Pedro Delgado had established himself as the clear
    leader of the Tour as he donned the Yellow Jersey. Theunisse, in one of his
    many run-ins with doping controls during his career, was found positive. He
    had 10 minutes added to his time.

  10. Bob Schwartz

    Bob Schwartz Guest

    Ed Sullivan <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Badger wrote:
    >> In the 2001 TdF the commentators mention his name is as being the

    > reason
    >> they introduced barriers in the last part of the climb to l'Alpe

    > d'Huez.
    >>
    >> Can anyone fill me in on this? Not sure I have the name spelled

    > right;
    >> sorry. ;-)
    >>
    >> TiA
    >>
    >> -B

    > Fabio Parra was a well known Columbian rider of the 1980s and early
    > 1990s. He was thought to be a Tour contender, however, despite same
    > flashes of brilliance in various stages, he never made the podium.

    http://www.angelfire.com/realm/cvccbikers/tour/top_ten.html#1988

    1988 1 Delgado, Pedro E 84 27'53"
    2 Rooks, Steven NL 7'13"
    3 Parra, Fabio COL 9'58"