Fabric wheeldisks - fabric thickness?

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Torben Scheel, Aug 26, 2003.

  1. I'm considering making wheeldisks of ripstop nylon, inspired by this :
    http://www.wisil.recumbents.com/wisil/ariail/fabric_wheeldisks.htm

    BUT the fabric is stated as being .75 oz - no size stated (Square yards? square feet?) and I just
    can't translate that to a metric measure. Can anybody help?

    www.onlineconversion.com don't do much good since I dont have the size.

    Thanks in advance Torben

    Tags:

  2. Torben Scheel wrote:

    > I'm considering making wheeldisks of ripstop nylon, inspired by this :
    > http://www.wisil.recumbents.com/wisil/ariail/fabric_wheeldisks.htm
    >
    > BUT the fabric is stated as being .75 oz - no size stated (Square yards? square feet?) and I just
    > can't translate that to a metric measure. Can anybody help?

    Dunno whta the specification is, but I use the ordinary stuff sold off a big roll in my local
    kite shop.

    http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

  3. "Dave Larrington" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Torben Scheel wrote:
    >
    > > I'm considering making wheeldisks of ripstop nylon, inspired by this :
    > > http://www.wisil.recumbents.com/wisil/ariail/fabric_wheeldisks.htm
    > >
    > > BUT the fabric is stated as being .75 oz - no size stated (Square yards? square feet?) and I
    > > just can't translate that to a metric measure. Can anybody help?
    >
    > Dunno whta the specification is, but I use the ordinary stuff sold off a
    big
    > roll in my local kite shop.

    I'll try that tactic. I think it's 38g / m2

    thanks! Torben

  4. > > > I'm considering making wheeldisks of ripstop nylon, inspired by this :
    > > > http://www.wisil.recumbents.com/wisil/ariail/fabric_wheeldisks.htm
    > > >
    > > > BUT the fabric is stated as being .75 oz - no size stated (Square yards? square feet?) and I
    > > > just can't translate that to a metric measure. Can anybody help?

    Hello Torbin,

    Alan has helped me make these fabric wheeldiscs. If you follow his advice and order direct from
    kitebuilder.com, the fabric (nylon) arrives as a standard 1 yard wide textile bolt X number of feet
    you ordered. If you need some help building these discs I would be happy to share the Alan Arial
    Aero gospel with you.

    -Keith

  5. Jerry Rhodes

    Jerry Rhodes Guest

    "Torben Scheel" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > I'm considering making wheeldisks of ripstop nylon, inspired by this :
    > http://www.wisil.recumbents.com/wisil/ariail/fabric_wheeldisks.htm
    >
    > BUT the fabric is stated as being .75 oz - no size stated (Square yards? square feet?) and I just
    > can't translate that to a metric measure. Can anybody help?

    Torben,

    Fabric is described as so much weight per area of square measure. In the USA that is oz/sq yd so I
    would guess that .75 oz cloth would be roughly 21 grams per sq m.

    Did I get my decimal points right????? Ohhh metric is SOOOO complicated.

    Jerry

  6. Bentbiker

    Bentbiker Guest

    Keith, Please share, I need all the help I can get.

    Windy City Rider wrote:

    > Hello Torbin,
    >
    > Alan has helped me make these fabric wheeldiscs. If you follow his advice and order direct from
    > kitebuilder.com, the fabric (nylon) arrives as a standard 1 yard wide textile bolt X number of
    > feet you ordered. If you need some help building these discs I would be happy to share the Alan
    > Arial Aero gospel with you.
    >
    > -Keith

  7. Dave Lehnen

    Dave Lehnen Guest

    Jerry Rhodes wrote:
    > "Torben Scheel" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    >
    >>I'm considering making wheeldisks of ripstop nylon, inspired by this :
    >>http://www.wisil.recumbents.com/wisil/ariail/fabric_wheeldisks.htm
    >>
    >>BUT the fabric is stated as being .75 oz - no size stated (Square yards? square feet?) and I just
    >>can't translate that to a metric measure. Can anybody help?
    >

    > Torben,
    >
    > Fabric is described as so much weight per area of square measure. In the USA that is oz/sq yd so I
    > would guess that .75 oz cloth would be roughly 21 grams per sq m.
    >
    > Did I get my decimal points right????? Ohhh metric is SOOOO complicated.
    >
    > Jerry

    Decimal point is right, but it's 21.3 g/sq yd, or 25.4 g/m^2.

    Dave Lehnen

  8. "Jerry Rhodes" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "Torben Scheel" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > > I'm considering making wheeldisks of ripstop nylon, inspired by this :
    > > http://www.wisil.recumbents.com/wisil/ariail/fabric_wheeldisks.htm
    > >
    > > BUT the fabric is stated as being .75 oz - no size stated (Square yards? square feet?) and I
    > > just can't translate that to a metric measure. Can anybody help?
    >
    > Torben,
    >
    > Fabric is described as so much weight per area of square measure. In the USA that is oz/sq yd so I
    > would guess that .75 oz cloth would be roughly 21 grams per sq m.
    >
    > Did I get my decimal points right????? Ohhh metric is SOOOO complicated.
    I think you did it right. Thanks a lot!

    Torben

  9. "Windy City Rider" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > Hello Torbin,
    >
    > Alan has helped me make these fabric wheeldiscs. If you follow his advice and order direct from
    > kitebuilder.com, the fabric (nylon) arrives as a standard 1 yard wide textile bolt X number of
    > feet you ordered. If you need some help building these discs I would be happy to share the Alan
    > Arial Aero gospel with you.

    One of the points is that I'd like to avoid ordering fabric overseas - we have plenty of kiteshops
    around here. Thanks for the offer for help. It SEEMS to be pretty straightforward, but who knows how
    much trouble I could get into.. maybe even a catastophe of Toronto dimensions ;-)

    Regards, Torben