Failed experiment.(Glove recommendation)

soup

Guest
Was bright, glorious blue sky and no wind, out
but very cold so decided to put an ordinary pair of
gloves on with my track mitts over the top found after
a mile or so that my hands were going numb (as if bound)
so does any one have a recommendation of a glove with
pads on the palms, am in the Edinburgh area, don't want
to buy online as I am a bit of a Luddite and don't want
to put my credit card details on the net (yes I know it is
as secure as giving the details over the 'phone, don't do
that either) Have had a quick look on the Edinburgh
Bicycle co-operative web site and found that these
gloves do exist but I have never worn them before so
I don't know what ones are "best".
--
yours S

soup wrote:

> I don't know what ones are "best".

The Altura Thermastretch ones are brilliant: padded, grippy and warm. I got
mine at a LBS.

"soup" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Was bright, glorious blue sky and no wind, out
> but very cold so decided to put an ordinary pair of
> gloves on with my track mitts over the top found after
> a mile or so that my hands were going numb (as if bound)
> so does any one have a recommendation of a glove with
> pads on the palms, am in the Edinburgh area, don't want
> to buy online as I am a bit of a Luddite and don't want
> to put my credit card details on the net (yes I know it is
> as secure as giving the details over the 'phone, don't do
> that either) Have had a quick look on the Edinburgh
> Bicycle co-operative web site and found that these
> gloves do exist but I have never worn them before so
> I don't know what ones are "best".
> --

I bought a pair of Specialized BG Submerge gloves from EBC. Been fine so far
but will get a good test on Sunday as I'm off for a 40-miler and it promises
to be bl**dy cold.

druidh

soup wrote:

> Was bright, glorious blue sky and no wind, out
> but very cold so decided to put an ordinary pair of
> gloves on with my track mitts over the top found after
> a mile or so that my hands were going numb (as if bound)
> so does any one have a recommendation of a glove with
> pads on the palms, am in the Edinburgh area, don't want
> to buy online as I am a bit of a Luddite and don't want
> to put my credit card details on the net (yes I know it is
> as secure as giving the details over the 'phone, don't do
> that either) Have had a quick look on the Edinburgh
> Bicycle co-operative web site and found that these
> gloves do exist but I have never worn them before so
> I don't know what ones are "best".

I got my gloves from a shop rather than off the Internet. They are Gore
windstopper mitts. The finger cover is retractable as is the thumb so when
they get far too warm you can uncover your digits to cool off a little. I
rarely use them unless there is a lot of frost about as they are generally
too warm even with the digits exposed.

--
Chris

On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 11:54:08 GMT, "soup" <[email protected]> wrote in
message <[email protected]>:

> Was bright, glorious blue sky and no wind, out
>but very cold so decided to put an ordinary pair of
>gloves on with my track mitts over the top found after
>a mile or so that my hands were going numb (as if bound)
>so does any one have a recommendation of a glove with
>pads on the palms,

In really cold weather, lobster claw gloves are the business. I rode
home yesterday wearing Sealskinz gloves which are brilliant in wet
weather but after 25 miles of near-freezing temperatures I had lost
contact with my fingers, so I will be looking out the lobsters for
next week.

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

soup [email protected] opined the following...
> Was bright, glorious blue sky and no wind, out
> but very cold so decided to put an ordinary pair of
> gloves on with my track mitts over the top found after
> a mile or so that my hands were going numb (as if bound)
> so does any one have a recommendation of a glove with
> pads on the palms, am in the Edinburgh area, don't want
> to buy online as I am a bit of a Luddite and don't want
> to put my credit card details on the net (yes I know it is
> as secure as giving the details over the 'phone, don't do
> that either) Have had a quick look on the Edinburgh
> Bicycle co-operative web site and found that these
> gloves do exist but I have never worn them before so
> I don't know what ones are "best".

Depends on your bike and the level of finger dexterity required. One of
my reasons for building the fixer was that the lack of gears would allow
the use of bigger gloves. I now have a pair of cheap'n'cheerful
thinsulate gloves which I overheated in all the way through last winter.
If they somehow don't hold up against the cold this year, I'll buy some
silk liners for them too.

Jon

"soup" <[email protected]> wrote in news:A9lnd.10342$Y7.7768
@fe1.news.blueyonder.co.uk:

> Was bright, glorious blue sky and no wind, out
> but very cold so decided to put an ordinary pair of
> gloves on with my track mitts over the top found after
> a mile or so that my hands were going numb (as if bound)
> so does any one have a recommendation of a glove with
> pads on the palms

Really like my Chiba Wind Protects. Bought them specifically because of
the pad on the 'heel' of the hand (I ride flat-bars & the pad is in just
the right place).

Quick Google finds a picture...
http://www.oldhamcyclecentre.co.uk/en-gb/dept_152.html (scroll right
down)

Bought mine at an LBS in Norwich.

--
Chris Bardell
[Remove favourite mode of transport from email address]

In news:[email protected],
soup <[email protected]> wrote:
> Was bright, glorious blue sky and no wind, out
> but very cold so decided to put an ordinary pair of
> gloves on with my track mitts over the top found after
> a mile or so that my hands were going numb (as if bound)
> so does any one have a recommendation of a glove with
> pads on the palms, am in the Edinburgh area, don't want
> to buy online as I am a bit of a Luddite and don't want
> to put my credit card details on the net (yes I know it is
> as secure as giving the details over the 'phone, don't do
> that either) Have had a quick look on the Edinburgh
> Bicycle co-operative web site and found that these
> gloves do exist but I have never worn them before so
> I don't know what ones are "best".

2 pairs of thin, cheap knitted gloves, worn inside suede & cotton(?)
gardening gloves, or "work" gloves, keep my fingers toasty in sub-zero,
while my companions in their expensive cycling gloves are losing contact
with their digits. Pretty good in the wet, also, as although the water gets
through eventually, it's pretty warm by the time it gets there. That doesn't
often happen though, as I use a proper cape that covers the bars, and covers
my hands. No good if you're trying to go fast though.
--

Martin Bulmer