Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Failure Modes for Shimano Brifters?

Started by Luigi de Guzman · · Last activity · 4 posts · 299 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
26 June 2007
Last activity
27 June 2007
Original author
Luigi de Guzman
Posts
4
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
299
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–4 of 4
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I have a set of Shimano Sora brifters. The left-hand unit has been giving
    me trouble lately--it's taking two "clicks" to shift from the granny to
    the middle cog.

    How do I know when the indexing is wearing out? Or is this just something
    that can be adjusted?

    -Luigi

    --
    Luigi de Guzman
    http://ouij.livejournal.com

  2. In article <[email hidden]>, [email hidden] says...

    Quoted message said:

    I have a set of Shimano Sora brifters. The left-hand unit has been giving
    me trouble lately--it's taking two "clicks" to shift from the granny to
    the middle cog.

    How do I know when the indexing is wearing out? Or is this just something
    that can be adjusted?

    -Luigi

    My 105 does that and always has, I always thought it to be a trim
    function. First click gets it on the ring, second click moves it over just
    a little more in case of chain rub. Your fd has probably out of adjustment
    and needs the second click just to get on the ring.

  3. RBrickston said:

    In article <[email hidden]>, [email hidden] says...

    Quoted message said:

    I have a set of Shimano Sora brifters. The left-hand unit has been giving
    me trouble lately--it's taking two "clicks" to shift from the granny to
    the middle cog.

    Quoted message said:

    How do I know when the indexing is wearing out? Or is this just something
    that can be adjusted?

    Quoted message said:

    -Luigi

    My 105 does that and always has, I always thought it to be a trim
    function. First click gets it on the ring, second click moves it over just
    a little more in case of chain rub. Your fd has probably out of adjustment
    and needs the second click just to get on the ring.

    My ultegra shifter (dura ace rd) has always taken "two clicks" to go
    from small ring to middle ring, and I've been told and read this is
    how it's supposed to be.

    The "third click" position (counting furthest out as #1, furthest in
    as #4) is a trim position whether you are on the middle or smallest
    ring.

  4. Quoted message said:

    I have a set of Shimano Sora brifters. The left-hand unit has been giving
    me trouble lately--it's taking two "clicks" to shift from the granny to
    the middle cog.

    How do I know when the indexing is wearing out? Or is this just something
    that can be adjusted?

    -Luigi


    =========
    I think your fd is out of adjustment. When my LH sora failed, I would move
    the paddle and nothing would move at all. It failed at around 18,000 miles
    if I remember right.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.