Fair play to Trek.

Simon Mason

Guest
Last winter a new Trek 1400 I had developed excessive play on the rear hub.
Bearings and cones were knackered.Took it to local Trek dealer who refused
to replace it as they said it was poorly maintained - after 2 months of
light use!

Anyhow, got onto Trek, kicked up a bit of a fuss and they said they would
replace the wheel FOC. Last March I stupidly knackered the RHS STI lever
getting it into the car, so I had to pay for a new one and they had none in
stock. So yesterday after 3 1/2 months the bike was ready to pick up.

Decided to walk the 5 miles to the shop in my SPD shoes (ouch) and ride it
home. Nice bit of recycling on the way as an empty Lucozade bottle I was
carrying was deposited in the recycling bins some people in Hull were
leaving out that day.

On riding it back I caught sight of the wheel magnet sellotaped to the brake
cable. Lazy sods can't be bothered to swap it over I thought. Looking down
at the front wheel I saw why. It was a brand new Bonty Race with flat bladed
spokes. So not only had they replaced *both* wheels, they were of a higher
spec. So all credit to Trek where it's due!

--
Simon Mason
http://www.simonmason.karoo.net

Simon Mason wrote:
> Last winter a new Trek 1400 I had developed excessive play on the rear hub.
> Bearings and cones were knackered.Took it to local Trek dealer who refused
> to replace it as they said it was poorly maintained - after 2 months of
> light use!
>
> Anyhow, got onto Trek, kicked up a bit of a fuss and they said they would
> replace the wheel FOC. Last March I stupidly knackered the RHS STI lever
> getting it into the car, so I had to pay for a new one and they had none in
> stock. So yesterday after 3 1/2 months the bike was ready to pick up.
>
> Decided to walk the 5 miles to the shop in my SPD shoes (ouch) and ride it
> home. Nice bit of recycling on the way as an empty Lucozade bottle I was
> carrying was deposited in the recycling bins some people in Hull were
> leaving out that day.
>
> On riding it back I caught sight of the wheel magnet sellotaped to the brake
> cable. Lazy sods can't be bothered to swap it over I thought. Looking down
> at the front wheel I saw why. It was a brand new Bonty Race with flat bladed
> spokes. So not only had they replaced *both* wheels, they were of a higher
> spec. So all credit to Trek where it's due!

Excellent. So not all traders and manufacturers are greedy,
self-serving and inept. It's just so frustrating that a quality tale
like yours is so often counter-balanced by recountings of lousy service,
indifference and stupidity.

--
Brian G

> On riding it back I caught sight of the wheel magnet sellotaped to the
> brake cable. Lazy sods can't be bothered to swap it over I thought.
> Looking down at the front wheel I saw why. It was a brand new Bonty Race
> with flat bladed spokes. So not only had they replaced *both* wheels, they
> were of a higher spec. So all credit to Trek where it's due!

Good stuff, but I still wonder whether Trek would have done this for
*anybody* or whether your prolific on-line activity has a lot to do with
this.

If you google for anything UK cycling related *some* content created either
by yourself, Guy, or the other Simon across the border eventually comes
up....

Clearly you thus have a *lot* of power to affect their brand image by
negative publicity; so the cost of giving *you* two new wheels is negligible
compared to the risk to the brand; but I wonder if someone with less on line
presence would have been treated similarly or just continuallly fobbed off?

Alex
--
Mr R@T / General Lighting
Ipswich, Suffolk, Untied Kingdom

"Mr R@t (2.30zi)" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> Clearly you thus have a *lot* of power to affect their brand image by
> negative publicity; so the cost of giving *you* two new wheels is
> negligible compared to the risk to the brand; but I wonder if someone with
> less on line presence would have been treated similarly or just
> continually fobbed off?

They didn't know that I've got a website and I didn't want to use it to say
bad things about people, or start "threatening" anybody. I've seen some
websites that have described in minute detail how badly a certain double
glazing firm has treated them, or whatever.

I may be soft but I wouldn't do that - I'm the sort of person who shrugs his
shoulders and walks away happy that I am fit and healthy and have a good job
etc. The really important things in life matter, not a couple of wheels or a
window frame.

I just told them that I wasn't happy in a civilised way and couldn't
recommend their products to my friends and club mates and they came up
trumps.

--
Simon Mason
http://www.simonmason.karoo.net

> I just told them that I wasn't happy in a civilised way and couldn't
> recommend their products to my friends and club mates and they came up
> trumps.

It seems like they genuinely do have some sense of customer service (even
off line your average roadie or serious cyclist is going to ultimately tell
a few hundred people about how their problem was dealt with)

That sort of service is very rare in a company these days...

Alex
--

Mr R@t (2.30zi) wrote:

> That sort of service is very rare in a company these days...

IME, these days companies seem to be getting /better/ at this sort of thing.
Customers are generally more aware of their rights when it comes to fitness
for purpose and manufacturing warranties, etc; so companies are finding it
harder to turn a blind eye.

On Tue, 4 Jul 2006 15:15:14 +0100, "Mr R@t \(2.30zi\)"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>It seems like they genuinely do have some sense of customer service (even
>off line your average roadie or serious cyclist is going to ultimately tell
>a few hundred people about how their problem was dealt with)
>
>That sort of service is very rare in a company these days...

The bearings went on one of my children's raleigh bikes. Raleigh
replaced it by return of post.

"Tom Crispin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:eek:[email protected]...
> On Tue, 4 Jul 2006 15:15:14 +0100, "Mr R@t \(2.30zi\)"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>It seems like they genuinely do have some sense of customer service (even
>>off line your average roadie or serious cyclist is going to ultimately
>>tell
>>a few hundred people about how their problem was dealt with)
>>
>>That sort of service is very rare in a company these days...

> The bearings went on one of my children's raleigh bikes. Raleigh
> replaced it by return of post.

a standard warranty replacement surely which /should/ have been done without
question?

I do think though that Raleigh (since downsizing and management changes) etc
have actually improved their quality and service considerably despite
offshoring the manufacturing (perhaps inevitable due to market forces). I'm
sure some of you must have read that lengthy paper some business student(?)
wrote and put on line detailing their corporate mismanagement of the 70s to
the 90s...

Also kids' bikes have been and presumably still are a considerable part of
their market share so it makes sense to look after the customers.

(I own a new model Raleigh Pioneer Hybrid (the mid range one) and must say I
am impressed with it!)

Alex
--

Mr R@t (2.30zi) wrote:
> That sort of service is very rare in a company these days...

So when was this golden era when everything was perfect?

On Tue, 4 Jul 2006 19:28:18 +0100, "Mr R@t \(2.30zi\)"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Also kids' bikes have been and presumably still are a considerable part of
>their market share so it makes sense to look after the customers.

They no longer import non-suspension 18", 20" or 24" wheel diamond
frame bikes. Oddly, they manage it with their step through frame
bikes, adult bikes and 16" bikes.

http://www.raleighbikes.com/cycleranges.aspx?range=12

"Ambrose Nankivell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Mr R@t (2.30zi) wrote:
>> That sort of service is very rare in a company these days...

> So when was this golden era when everything was perfect?

Oh, I know there never *was* a golden era (I'm only 34 btw) - its just that
things have been mostly getting steadily worse since then....

Even if 60% of people are trying to do something right/positive; you can
normally always guarantee the other 40% of them /will/ f**k up all their
efforts; intentionally or not. Or alternatively everything is done wrong
right from the start.

Sometimes /someone/ tries to sort things out and achieves partial success;
but this is rare enough and only achieved after a fair bit of hassle.

Alex
--
Mr R@T / General Lighting
Ipswich, Suffolk, Untied Kingdom
http://www.partyvibe.com

"Tom Crispin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Tue, 4 Jul 2006 19:28:18 +0100, "Mr R@t \(2.30zi\)"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>Also kids' bikes have been and presumably still are a considerable part of
>>their market share so it makes sense to look after the customers.

> They no longer import non-suspension 18", 20" or 24" wheel diamond
> frame bikes. Oddly, they manage it with their step through frame
> bikes, adult bikes and 16" bikes.
>
> http://www.raleighbikes.com/cycleranges.aspx?range=12

another triumph of marketing over common sense - OTOH have you been in touch
with them about this issue (or even raised it on their forums?)

Perhaps they do this because "customer demand is for childrens bikes with
front suspension" or so they think....

After all how many BSOs do you see *adults* riding with cheapo front sus
forks when they are only ever going to be ridden on the road?

Mind you in /my/ childhood you would get "sensible teachers" saying how
impractical those Choppers were; and they have been reintroduced (albeit
modfied for modern safety regs I guess)

Alex
--

On Tue, 4 Jul 2006 21:43:35 +0100, "Mr R@t \(2.30zi\)"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>"Tom Crispin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> On Tue, 4 Jul 2006 19:28:18 +0100, "Mr R@t \(2.30zi\)"
>> <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>>>Also kids' bikes have been and presumably still are a considerable part of
>>>their market share so it makes sense to look after the customers.

>> They no longer import non-suspension 18", 20" or 24" wheel diamond
>> frame bikes. Oddly, they manage it with their step through frame
>> bikes, adult bikes and 16" bikes.
>>
>> http://www.raleighbikes.com/cycleranges.aspx?range=12

>another triumph of marketing over common sense - OTOH have you been in touch
>with them about this issue (or even raised it on their forums?)

Yes, and they were most unhelpful once they realised that I was a
trade customer.

>Perhaps they do this because "customer demand is for childrens bikes with
>front suspension" or so they think....
>
>After all how many BSOs do you see *adults* riding with cheapo front sus
>forks when they are only ever going to be ridden on the road?
>
>Mind you in /my/ childhood you would get "sensible teachers" saying how
>impractical those Choppers were; and they have been reintroduced (albeit
>modfied for modern safety regs I guess)

It's a sad state of affairs. I have reluctantly ordered four 11/20
(frame/wheel) Hot Rod bikes, four 13/20 Hot Rods and four 16" wheel
Strikers which have no suspension but no gears either.