Faired 'bents in New Scientist

Paul Rudin

Guest
The latest New Scientist has an article about people riding very fast
on (in?) faired 'bents. 80 mph on the flat apparently, faster than I
realised.

Paul Rudin wrote:
> The latest New Scientist has an article about people riding very fast
> on (in?) faired 'bents. 80 mph on the flat apparently, faster than I
> realised.

kilometres per hour, I think.

http://www.speedbikebgl.de/eng/sbc2004e.html

--
Joe * If I cannot be free I'll be cheap

>kilometres per hour, I think.

Certainly says 81mph in the article...

"Two riders dominate4 the sport of speedbiking: Sam Whittingham, a 32-year-old
Canadian, and Matt Weaver, a 34-year-old Californian. Whittingham, who is built
like a spark plug, hold the world record for speed, 81mph, set at Battle
Mountain two years ago."

The link you gave, http://www.speedbikebgl.de/eng/sbc2004e.html shows the world
hour record in km, which is a different record to the speed record, IIRC, as
the New Scientist article goes on to mention the world hour record as Weaver
will be aiming to travel 90km in an hour.

Cheers, helen s

Cheers, helen s

h*$el*$$e*nd**$o$ts**i*$*$m*m$o*n*s@$*a$o*l.c**$om$

On Thu, 02 Dec 2004 19:09:14 GMT, Paul Rudin <[email protected]>
wrote in message <[email protected]>:

>The latest New Scientist has an article about people riding very fast
>on (in?) faired 'bents. 80 mph on the flat apparently, faster than I
>realised.

That would be Mr Whittingham, I think. Also holds the record for the
fastest HPV crash. Faster than Young Master Robert's wipe-out:
http://www.easyracers.com/videos/mango_crash.wmv

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

Just zis Guy, you know? [email protected] opined the following...
> That would be Mr Whittingham, I think. Also holds the record for the
> fastest HPV crash. Faster than Young Master Robert's wipe-out:
> http://www.easyracers.com/videos/mango_crash.wmv

Unfair I know, but I couldn't help laughing at that one. The drop onto
one side and spin & skid was pretty funny, but the bit where it wedged
itself under a car provoked tears.

I suspect that had Robert suffered serious injury I'd find it less
funny, but armed with the knowledge that he was OK, it does make for
amusing viewing.

Jon

Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:

> That would be Mr Whittingham, I think. Also holds the record for the
> fastest HPV crash. Faster than Young Master Robert's wipe-out:
> http://www.easyracers.com/videos/mango_crash.wmv

Do the Team who hang out at BHPC events know any news about a possible
New! Improved! (i.e., a bit more stable) Mango for Rob to have a crack
at the Hour and Battle Mountain in?

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

Peter Clinch wrote:

> Do the Team who hang out at BHPC events know any news about a possible
> New! Improved! (i.e., a bit more stable) Mango for Rob to have a crack
> at the Hour and Battle Mountain in?

Short answer: No.

Longer answer: Miles Kingsbury and Young Master Robert took the Mango out to
Dudenhofen in summer 2003 where, following a Red Bull-induced attack of
bonkers-osity, the bike fell in a hole and borke. This effectively severed
diplomatic relations between the two, and Rob, in between fits of touring in
Foreign Parts, has returned to the world of racing those upright things,
both on and off road. He's not been to a BHPC event since May 2003.

currently resident in Lanzarote. Get a /real/ job, layabout!

World Domination?
Just find a world that's into that kind of thing, then chain to the
floor and walk up and down on it in high heels. (Mr. Sunshine)

Paul Rudin <[email protected]> said:

> The latest New Scientist has an article about people riding very fast
> on (in?) faired 'bents. 80 mph on the flat apparently, faster than I
> realised.

Curses, the Postal Pixies haven't delivered my copy yet. I'll have to dig
out my subscriber info and read it from the web archive...

Regards,

-david

Just bought a copy this afternoon. A certain Mr Larrington seems to be
credited with a lot of the photos. I hope NS paid you, Dave.

Tim Costen

Tim Costen wrote:

> Just bought a copy this afternoon. A certain Mr Larrington seems to be
> credited with a lot of the photos. I hope NS paid you, Dave.

They are going to pay me but I don't know how much... I haven't received my
free copy yet either :-( I feel a trip to the newsagents coming on.

World Domination?
Just find a world that's into that kind of thing, then chain to the
floor and walk up and down on it in high heels. (Mr. Sunshine)

>They are going to pay me but I don't know how much... I haven't received my
>free copy yet either :-( I feel a trip to the newsagents coming on.

I'm happy to scan it and send it to you if you want.

Cheers, helen s

h*$el*$$e*nd**$o$ts**i*$*$m*m$o*n*s@$*a$o*l.c**$om$

>> They are going to pay me but I don't know how much... I haven't
>> received my free copy yet either :-( I feel a trip to the
>> newsagents coming on.

> I'm happy to scan it and send it to you if you want.

I have now been to the newsagents. However, I've only just worked out the
identity of the person in the black baseball cap on page 37. D'oh!

World Domination?
Just find a world that's into that kind of thing, then chain to the
floor and walk up and down on it in high heels. (Mr. Sunshine)

>I have now been to the newsagents. However, I've only just worked out the
>identity of the person in the black baseball cap on page 37. D'oh!

Why that handsome fellow wouldn't be you, would he??

I've been published in new Scientist before, but never had me pic in it. I may
be jealous.

Now that you are famous, can I have your autograph?? Can I, can I???

Cheers, helen s

h*$el*$$e*nd**$o$ts**i*$*$m*m$o*n*s@$*a$o*l.c**$om$

> Now that you are famous, can I have your autograph?? Can I, can I???

Throw one hard enough and you could have a slab with Dave Larrington on
like wot they have in Hollywood :)

Dave Larrington <[email protected]> wrote:

> dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers wrote:
> >> They are going to pay me but I don't know how much... I haven't
> >> received my free copy yet either :-( I feel a trip to the
> >> newsagents coming on.

> > I'm happy to scan it and send it to you if you want.
> >

> I have now been to the newsagents. However, I've only just worked out the
> identity of the person in the black baseball cap on page 37. D'oh!

I had to point you out to Rob as well, but then he's always been **** at
recognising people.

In fairness, you probably don't see your own face from the side terribly
often, mind.

So, do we have to pay to speak to you now, then? :)

--
Carol
"I was just being a little teapot. It's a bad habit of mine"

Carol Hague wrote:

> I had to point you out to Rob as well, but then he's always been ****
> at recognising people.
>
> In fairness, you probably don't see your own face from the side
> terribly often, mind.
>
> So, do we have to pay to speak to you now, then? :)

Yes.

For this reply: 4.97 GBP

World Domination?
Just find a world that's into that kind of thing, then chain to the
floor and walk up and down on it in high heels. (Mr. Sunshine)

>Yes.
>
>For this reply: 4.97 GBP

Fame gone to your head already. I asked nicely for an autograph now that you're
famous and got no response. I dunno, some people get soooo hoity-toity with a
bit of fame. Goes straight to the head.. Don't want your bl**dy autograph
anyway. So there!

Cheers, helen s ;-)

h*$el*$$e*nd**$o$ts**i*$*$m*m$o*n*s@$*a$o*l.c**$om$

Dave Larrington <[email protected]> wrote:

> Carol Hague wrote:

> > So, do we have to pay to speak to you now, then? :)

> Yes.
>
> For this reply: 4.97 GBP

I presume that stands for Glass Beer Pitchers....

I shall now withdraw from this conversation on grounds of poverty :)

--
Carol
"I was just being a little teapot. It's a bad habit of mine"
- Wyvern, Randall & Hopkirk (Deceased).

>> Yes.
>>
>> For this reply: 4.97 GBP

> Fame gone to your head already. I asked nicely for an autograph now
> that you're famous and got no response. I dunno, some people get
> soooo hoity-toity with a bit of fame. Goes straight to the head..
> Don't want your bl**dy autograph anyway. So there!

I was planning to send you a scanned one, but it's on the Babbage-box at
Larrington Towers, which is suffering from Unhappy Scanner ATM. Also I
didn't get in until after midnight last night, and probably won't tnoight
either, dirty stop-out that I be.

Fee for writing the above: One bag of mint humbugs. Plus VAT.