faired uni

Discussion in 'rec.sport.unicycling' started by goldenchicken, Jan 7, 2005.

  1. Are there any records of faired unicycles ever been built? In this
    dreary weather I wouldn't mind riding something like this:

    | Attachment filename: faireduni.jpg |
    |Download attachment: http://www.unicyclist.com/attachment/264297|

    goldenchicken - .
    goldenchicken's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8149

  2. wogri

    wogri Guest

  3. Fuego

    Fuego Guest

    It's a fairing. it's to drop air resistance.

    I doubt unicyclists can really go fast enough to warrant having one.
    There are some bikers who do over 100 mph on faired bikes, but unis
    really are limited as to speed. there's not going to be enough air
    resistance to make the weight of the fairing worth carrying.

    --
    Fuego - Unicycle Ninja

    "Unicycling is more about the center of concentration than the center of
    balance."

    If you don't want us riding on your concrete, don't make it in such damn
    interesting shapes!
    Fuego's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6983

  4. wogri

    wogri Guest

  5. Klaas Bil

    Klaas Bil Guest

    goldenchicken wrote:
    > *Are there any records of faired unicycles ever been built? In this
    > dreary weather I wouldn't mind riding something like this: *

    I'm not buying it. I can imagine some funny UPD's - to watch, not to
    experience. Mounting and dismounting may be more cumbersome. Unicyclists
    hardly go fast enough to have substantial benefit of a fairing. A
    unicycle rides like ~~~~ so you would be slinging your banana through
    the air which might actually -increase- air resistance. The extra weight
    wouldn't be nice for belancing. Finally, a unicycle doesn't offer ample
    opportunity to attach a fairing - but that is a technical issue that I
    imagine can be solved.

    Some of these issues might be solved by attaching the fairing to the
    rider as opposed to to the unicycle.

    Klaas Bil

    --
    Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict
    Klaas Bil's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3442

  6. UniBrier

    UniBrier Guest

    Klaas Bil wrote:
    > *Some of these issues might be solved by attaching the fairing to the
    > rider as opposed to to the unicycle.*

    I'm partial to the 'bumbershoot'
    (http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=bumbershoot) fairing.

    --
    UniBrier - Its Time to Ride

    Steve

    You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream. - C.
    S. Lewis

    UniBrier's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1404

  7. daino149

    daino149 Guest

    Klaas Bil wrote:
    > * A unicycle rides like ~~~~ so you would be slinging your banana
    > through the air which might actually -increase- air resistance. *

    How long till that ends up in some ones sig?

    --
    daino149 - On Vacation - till i find a job

    Check out my 'pics ' (http://www.unicyclist.com/gallery/daino)
    'My X-a-n-g-a' (http://www.xanga.com/home.aspx?user=fingerpies)
    I need to find a job

  8. daino149

    daino149 Guest

    Klaas Bil wrote:
    > * A unicycle rides like ~~~~ so you would be slinging your banana
    > through the air which might actually -increase- air resistance. *

    How long till that ends up in some ones sig?

    --
    daino149 - On Vacation - till i find a job

    Check out my 'pics ' (http://www.unicyclist.com/gallery/daino)
    'My X-a-n-g-a' (http://www.xanga.com/home.aspx?user=fingerpies)
    I need to find a job

  9. Originally posted by Klaas Bil

    daino149 wrote:
    > *How long till that ends up in some ones sig? *

    Great! This rendered my biggest laugh on this forum yet.

    I understand if no one buys my faired uni, I wouldn't buy it myself.
    After all, as UniBrier points out, there already exist such things as
    unibrellas.

    --
    goldenchicken - .
    goldenchicken's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8149

  10. steveyo

    steveyo Guest

  11. johnfoss

    johnfoss Guest

    81 mph sounds like the record for *non-paced* cycling. I think speeds up
    to 150+ have been managed with motorpacing. Mile-a-minute Murphy did a
    one-minute mile about 100 years ago (paced). Surely bikes have gone a
    lot faster since then?

    Why use a fairing? I can think of three major reasons:
    1. Improved speed
    2. To look cool
    3. Possibly to keep the rain off

    1. Improving speed only works if you're going pretty fast in the first
    place. Before messing around with fairings, a geared recumbent unicycle
    design should be worked out. Got to get the frontal area down first,
    before a fairing is going to help at all.

    2. Yup, there's always looking cool. Only if you're fully enclosed,
    you'd better have a lot of help starting and stopping! Not to mention
    riding with any kind of wind. More about this below.

    3. The purpose of a fairing, per-se, is not to protect you from the
    weather. A weather-proof unicycle sounds pretty ridiculous. You can use
    an umbrella to keep the rain off, but you still need something major to
    keep the backs of your legs from getting soaked and dirty because of all
    the water you're picking up and "wobbling" all over yourself. So I'd
    recommend a rain suit and goggles.

    Fairings make bike handling unwieldly. That's on a bike. Take away one
    of the wheels, and a little bit of wind will keep you from being able to
    ride in the direction of your choosing. Even a large wheel unicycle is
    susceptable to wind. I remember once riding across a giant parking lot
    at Jones Beach, Long Island, with Ken Fuchs. We were on 40" and 45"
    wheels, trying to cross this parking lot with a very strong headwind,
    hitting us at kind of a 45 degree angle. We literally had to tack, like
    sailboats, to avoid flailing our arms all over the place!

    --
    johnfoss - Walkin' on the edge

    John Foss, the Uni-Cyclone

    "Read the rules!" -- 'IUF Rulebook'

  12. steveyo

    steveyo Guest

    johnfoss wrote:
    > 81 mph sounds like the record for *non-paced* cycling.

    Correct, and truly amazing, engineering-wise and athletic-wise.

    > I think speeds up to 150+ have been managed with motorpacing.

    Also true, and plenty crazy, but not as awesome of a record, IMHO.

    --
    steveyo - touring wobbler

    steveyo

    If your feet are cold, cover your head.
    - eskimo proverb

  13. steveyo

    steveyo Guest

  14. johnfoss wrote:
    > *1. Improving speed only works if you're going pretty fast in the
    > first place. *

    For bikes wind resistance becomes an important factor even at moderate
    speed. When going faster it will offer far greater resistance than
    rolling resistance.

    But as you imply, the upright position of the rider makes the fairing
    quite useless for this purpose.

    Perhaps in a downhill race with unis using coaster hubs ...

    --
    goldenchicken - .
    goldenchicken's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8149

  15. Ottawa Dave

    Ottawa Dave Guest

    Think of a fairing that looks like the tail of an air plane. The rider
    is housed in the upright part and the wing with its flaps could be used
    to balance the unicycle, rather than the pedals. Alowing the rider of a
    geared uni to really crank with there legs and balance by ajusting the
    pressure of the air passing over the wing.

    --
    Ottawa Dave - coaster brakes for uncycles
    Ottawa Dave's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7959

  16. tomblackwood

    tomblackwood Guest

  17. goldenchicken wrote:
    > *For bikes wind resistance becomes an important factor even at
    > moderate speed. When going faster it will offer far greater resistance
    > than rolling resistance.
    >
    > Perhaps in a downhill race with unis using coaster hubs ... *

    I agree. I hit about 40 on hills going home from school on a good day,
    and the thing that stops me is wind resistance and a crappy bike. Then
    again I'm in jeans and a t-shirt, so it's not like I have the most aero
    clothing.

    And when do you expect there to be a DH uni race on coaster hubs? I'm
    thinking a time scale of 5 years to NEVER.

    --
    gerblefranklin - Trials Unicyclist

    "Democracy is just a word when the people are starving"-Immortal
    Technique

  18. Klaas Bil

    Klaas Bil Guest

    On Fri, 7 Jan 2005 16:14:40 -0600, "Ottawa Dave" wrote:

    >Think of a fairing that looks like the tail of an air plane. The rider
    >is housed in the upright part and the wing with its flaps could be used
    >to balance the unicycle, rather than the pedals. Alowing the rider of a
    >geared uni to really crank with there legs and balance by ajusting the
    >pressure of the air passing over the wing.

    Ha, I wanted to post the picture I once saw (and thought I had saved
    but I can't find it) of a blimp with an undercarriage consisting of a
    single wheel and ask "Is this what you mean?"

    The T-shirt tomblackwood linked to is NOT the one I mean.

    Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict
    --
    It's impossible to get old when you ride a unicycle - John (what's in a name) Childs

  19. Thanks all for trashing the idea about a faired unicycle. I have learnt
    that the fairing would not increase speed, it would make my banana sling
    and hence cause frequent UPDs. The fairing would not even make a decent
    rain cover!

    So unless you fill the whole thing with tobacco and smoke it, the only
    meaningful way to use it is to plaster it with stickers. We all know
    that many companys would sponsor unicyclists if only the machines
    offered more space for advertising.

    --
    goldenchicken - .
    goldenchicken's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8149

  20. Like this perhaps

    | Attachment filename: stickeredfairing.jpg |
    |Download attachment: http://www.unicyclist.com/attachment/264728|