faired uni

goldenchicken

Guest
Are there any records of faired unicycles ever been built? In this
dreary weather I wouldn't mind riding something like this:

| Attachment filename: faireduni.jpg |
|Download attachment: http://www.unicyclist.com/attachment/264297|

goldenchicken - .
goldenchicken's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8149

It's a fairing. it's to drop air resistance.

I doubt unicyclists can really go fast enough to warrant having one.
There are some bikers who do over 100 mph on faired bikes, but unis
really are limited as to speed. there's not going to be enough air
resistance to make the weight of the fairing worth carrying.

--
Fuego - Unicycle Ninja

"Unicycling is more about the center of concentration than the center of
balance."

If you don't want us riding on your concrete, don't make it in such damn
interesting shapes!
Fuego's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6983

goldenchicken wrote:
> *Are there any records of faired unicycles ever been built? In this
> dreary weather I wouldn't mind riding something like this: *

I'm not buying it. I can imagine some funny UPD's - to watch, not to
experience. Mounting and dismounting may be more cumbersome. Unicyclists
hardly go fast enough to have substantial benefit of a fairing. A
unicycle rides like ~~~~ so you would be slinging your banana through
the air which might actually -increase- air resistance. The extra weight
wouldn't be nice for belancing. Finally, a unicycle doesn't offer ample
opportunity to attach a fairing - but that is a technical issue that I
imagine can be solved.

Some of these issues might be solved by attaching the fairing to the
rider as opposed to to the unicycle.

Klaas Bil

--
Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict
Klaas Bil's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3442

Klaas Bil wrote:
> *Some of these issues might be solved by attaching the fairing to the
> rider as opposed to to the unicycle.*

I'm partial to the 'bumbershoot'
(http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=bumbershoot) fairing.

--
UniBrier - Its Time to Ride

Steve

You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream. - C.
S. Lewis

UniBrier's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1404

Klaas Bil wrote:
> * A unicycle rides like ~~~~ so you would be slinging your banana
> through the air which might actually -increase- air resistance. *

How long till that ends up in some ones sig?

--
daino149 - On Vacation - till i find a job

Check out my 'pics ' (http://www.unicyclist.com/gallery/daino)
'My X-a-n-g-a' (http://www.xanga.com/home.aspx?user=fingerpies)
I need to find a job

Klaas Bil wrote:
> * A unicycle rides like ~~~~ so you would be slinging your banana
> through the air which might actually -increase- air resistance. *

How long till that ends up in some ones sig?

--
daino149 - On Vacation - till i find a job

Check out my 'pics ' (http://www.unicyclist.com/gallery/daino)
'My X-a-n-g-a' (http://www.xanga.com/home.aspx?user=fingerpies)
I need to find a job

Originally posted by Klaas Bil

daino149 wrote:
> *How long till that ends up in some ones sig? *

Great! This rendered my biggest laugh on this forum yet.

I understand if no one buys my faired uni, I wouldn't buy it myself.
After all, as UniBrier points out, there already exist such things as
unibrellas.

--
goldenchicken - .
goldenchicken's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8149

81 mph sounds like the record for *non-paced* cycling. I think speeds up
to 150+ have been managed with motorpacing. Mile-a-minute Murphy did a
one-minute mile about 100 years ago (paced). Surely bikes have gone a
lot faster since then?

Why use a fairing? I can think of three major reasons:
1. Improved speed
2. To look cool
3. Possibly to keep the rain off

1. Improving speed only works if you're going pretty fast in the first
place. Before messing around with fairings, a geared recumbent unicycle
design should be worked out. Got to get the frontal area down first,
before a fairing is going to help at all.

2. Yup, there's always looking cool. Only if you're fully enclosed,
you'd better have a lot of help starting and stopping! Not to mention
riding with any kind of wind. More about this below.

3. The purpose of a fairing, per-se, is not to protect you from the
weather. A weather-proof unicycle sounds pretty ridiculous. You can use
an umbrella to keep the rain off, but you still need something major to
keep the backs of your legs from getting soaked and dirty because of all
the water you're picking up and "wobbling" all over yourself. So I'd
recommend a rain suit and goggles.

Fairings make bike handling unwieldly. That's on a bike. Take away one
of the wheels, and a little bit of wind will keep you from being able to
ride in the direction of your choosing. Even a large wheel unicycle is
susceptable to wind. I remember once riding across a giant parking lot
at Jones Beach, Long Island, with Ken Fuchs. We were on 40" and 45"
wheels, trying to cross this parking lot with a very strong headwind,
hitting us at kind of a 45 degree angle. We literally had to tack, like
sailboats, to avoid flailing our arms all over the place!

--
johnfoss - Walkin' on the edge

John Foss, the Uni-Cyclone

"Read the rules!" -- 'IUF Rulebook'

johnfoss wrote:
> 81 mph sounds like the record for *non-paced* cycling.

Correct, and truly amazing, engineering-wise and athletic-wise.

> I think speeds up to 150+ have been managed with motorpacing.

Also true, and plenty crazy, but not as awesome of a record, IMHO.

--
steveyo - touring wobbler

steveyo

If your feet are cold, cover your head.
- eskimo proverb

johnfoss wrote:
> *1. Improving speed only works if you're going pretty fast in the
> first place. *

For bikes wind resistance becomes an important factor even at moderate
speed. When going faster it will offer far greater resistance than
rolling resistance.

But as you imply, the upright position of the rider makes the fairing
quite useless for this purpose.

Perhaps in a downhill race with unis using coaster hubs ...

--
goldenchicken - .
goldenchicken's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8149

Think of a fairing that looks like the tail of an air plane. The rider
is housed in the upright part and the wing with its flaps could be used
to balance the unicycle, rather than the pedals. Alowing the rider of a
geared uni to really crank with there legs and balance by ajusting the
pressure of the air passing over the wing.

--
Ottawa Dave - coaster brakes for uncycles
Ottawa Dave's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7959

goldenchicken wrote:
> *For bikes wind resistance becomes an important factor even at
> moderate speed. When going faster it will offer far greater resistance
> than rolling resistance.
>
> Perhaps in a downhill race with unis using coaster hubs ... *

I agree. I hit about 40 on hills going home from school on a good day,
and the thing that stops me is wind resistance and a crappy bike. Then
again I'm in jeans and a t-shirt, so it's not like I have the most aero
clothing.

And when do you expect there to be a DH uni race on coaster hubs? I'm
thinking a time scale of 5 years to NEVER.

--
gerblefranklin - Trials Unicyclist

"Democracy is just a word when the people are starving"-Immortal
Technique

On Fri, 7 Jan 2005 16:14:40 -0600, "Ottawa Dave" wrote:

>Think of a fairing that looks like the tail of an air plane. The rider
>is housed in the upright part and the wing with its flaps could be used
>to balance the unicycle, rather than the pedals. Alowing the rider of a
>geared uni to really crank with there legs and balance by ajusting the
>pressure of the air passing over the wing.

Ha, I wanted to post the picture I once saw (and thought I had saved
but I can't find it) of a blimp with an undercarriage consisting of a
single wheel and ask "Is this what you mean?"

The T-shirt tomblackwood linked to is NOT the one I mean.

Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict
--
It's impossible to get old when you ride a unicycle - John (what's in a name) Childs

Thanks all for trashing the idea about a faired unicycle. I have learnt
that the fairing would not increase speed, it would make my banana sling
and hence cause frequent UPDs. The fairing would not even make a decent
rain cover!

So unless you fill the whole thing with tobacco and smoke it, the only
meaningful way to use it is to plaster it with stickers. We all know
that many companys would sponsor unicyclists if only the machines
offered more space for advertising.

--
goldenchicken - .
goldenchicken's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8149

Like this perhaps

| Attachment filename: stickeredfairing.jpg |
|Download attachment: http://www.unicyclist.com/attachment/264728|