Fairfield Horsesho

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by rob, Dec 21, 2005.

  1. rob

    rob Guest

    of to do it tommorrow
    which is the preferable direction clockwise or anticlockwise
    or doesnt it make any difference
    shall be starting from ambleside probably unless anyone knows any where else
    to park

    Tags:

  2. John Dawson

    John Dawson Guest

    On Wed, 21 Dec 2005 17:13:47 +0000 (UTC), "rob" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >of to do it tommorrow
    >which is the preferable direction clockwise or anticlockwise
    >or doesnt it make any difference
    >shall be starting from ambleside probably unless anyone knows any where else
    >to park

    I prefer clockwise as I'd rather go up the steep climb to Nab Scar at
    the beginning of the day rather than down it at the end. This leaves a
    long and gradual descent from Dove Crag back to Ambleside.

    See:
    http://www.lakedistrictwalks.com/fairho.html

    for details and pictures.

    HTH

    John D.
    --
    John Dawson at home in Kendal, Cumbria.
    Lake District Walks Web Pages http://www.lakedistrictwalks.com/

  3. Sean McMahon

    Sean McMahon Guest

    rob wrote:
    > of to do it tommorrow
    > which is the preferable direction clockwise or anticlockwise
    > or doesnt it make any difference
    > shall be starting from ambleside probably unless anyone knows any where else
    > to park

    I always prefer to do it clockwise:
    http://www.stridingedge.net/Walks/2004/8 August/2.8.04.htm
    It might be worth trying to park at Rydal by the church, should be
    quiet tomorrow. There were some roadworks there, but you should still
    get parked. The only downside to parking there is the flat run in at
    the end rather than the beginning.
    Regards,
    Sean
    http://www.stridingedge.net

  4. 214Fells

    214Fells Guest

    rob wrote:
    > of to do it tommorrow
    > which is the preferable direction clockwise or anticlockwise
    > or doesnt it make any difference
    > shall be starting from ambleside probably unless anyone knows any where else
    > to park

    Most probably too late but...

    * Clockwise best direction

    Parking

    * Extortionate fees - large Car Park Ambleside

    David.

  5. rob

    rob Guest

    what a miserable day rained all day and was blowing a gale could hardly
    stand on fairfield dense mist al day took a wrong turn and ended up going
    round the back of dove crag and had to climb back up to the ridge was
    getting a bit worried at this point as it was 3 30 pm
    gets back on track and bugger me the sole came of my boot was held on just
    by the toe but made it back ok got back to the car at 6 .20
    at rydal church
    not the best day out but still enjoyed it
    thanks to sean and john for the info

    "214Fells" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > rob wrote:
    >> of to do it tommorrow
    >> which is the preferable direction clockwise or anticlockwise
    >> or doesnt it make any difference
    >> shall be starting from ambleside probably unless anyone knows any where
    >> else
    >> to park

    > Most probably too late but...
    >
    > * Clockwise best direction
    >
    > Parking
    >
    > * Extortionate fees - large Car Park Ambleside
    >
    > David.

  6. rob

    rob Guest

    what a miserable day rained all day and was blowing a gale could hardly
    stand on fairfield dense mist al day took a wrong turn and ended up going
    round the back of dove crag and had to climb back up to the ridge was
    getting a bit worried at this point as it was 3 30 pm
    gets back on track and bugger me the sole came of my boot was held on just
    by the toe but made it back ok got back to the car at 6 .20
    at rydal church
    not the best day out but still enjoyed it
    thanks to sean and john for the info

    "214Fells" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > rob wrote:
    >> of to do it tommorrow
    >> which is the preferable direction clockwise or anticlockwise
    >> or doesnt it make any difference
    >> shall be starting from ambleside probably unless anyone knows any where
    >> else
    >> to park

    > Most probably too late but...
    >
    > * Clockwise best direction
    >
    > Parking
    >
    > * Extortionate fees - large Car Park Ambleside
    >
    > David.

  7. SteveO

    SteveO Guest

    On Thu, 22 Dec 2005 22:30:16 +0000 (UTC), "rob" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >what a miserable day rained all day and was blowing a gale

    Exactly as the Beeb forecast suggested!! :)

    >could hardly stand on fairfield dense mist al day took a wrong turn

    ooh er,

    >gets back on track and bugger me the sole came of my boot was held on just
    >by the toe but made it back ok got back to the car at 6 .20
    >at rydal church
    >not the best day out but still enjoyed it

    Sounds like you had the makings of an epic there, sounds like you had
    fun :)