Fairing for USS bikes?

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Ron, Jun 9, 2003.

  1. Ron

    Ron Guest

    I am wondering if USS machines can be equipped with a fairing? More importantly, is there a generic
    fairing (sort of after market product) that can be attached to a USS machine? I am considering a USS
    configuration but like the idea of having a fairing to cut down on wind and weather.

    Any thoughts? Thanks, Ron

    Tags:

  2. A very fast rider friend has a fairing on his VR-40. Its a Mueller that he made mounting brackets
    for out of lawnchair aluminum and pop rivits. He also made a flipit to fit in the deraileur tube so
    the whole fairing tilts fwd. This allows for a close in to the body position. Its quite Aero. Are
    you lurking Murphy? Karbiker.
    news:[email protected]...

  3. On Mon, 9 Jun 2003 21:57:47 -0400, "ron" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I am wondering if USS machines can be equipped with a fairing? More importantly, is there a generic
    >fairing (sort of after market product) that can be attached to a USS machine? I am considering a
    >USS configuration but like the idea of having a fairing to cut down on wind and weather.

    The three major fairing manufacturers are: Mueller (http://www.mueller-hp.com/) ZZipper
    (http://www.zzipper.com/) HP Velotechnik
    (http://www.hpvelotechnik.com/produkte/streamer/index_e.html)

    I have a Mueller fairing on my USS trike and it works well for weather protection. But with USS,
    your hands aren't protected by the fairing so you still need good gloves in winter.

  4. Paul Bruneau

    Paul Bruneau Guest

    I have a zzipper for my Ryan Vanguard. I don't use it much. I think you can get a fairing for a SWB
    like a Haluzak, too.

    Signed,

    Dedicated USS fan

    ron wrote:
    > I am wondering if USS machines can be equipped with a fairing? More importantly, is there a
    > generic fairing (sort of after market product) that can be attached to a USS machine? I am
    > considering a USS configuration but like the idea of having a fairing to cut down on wind and
    > weather.
    >
    > Any thoughts? Thanks, Ron

  5. Ron

    Ron Guest

    Thanks guys. That's what I was hoping for. I'll check out the three sites that Ken has kindly
    indicated. This sounds encouraging.

    Cheers, Ron

    "ron" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I am wondering if USS machines can be equipped with a fairing? More importantly, is there a
    > generic fairing (sort of after market product)
    that
    > can be attached to a USS machine? I am considering a USS configuration
    but
    > like the idea of having a fairing to cut down on wind and weather.
    >
    > Any thoughts? Thanks, Ron

  6. Jeff Wills

    Jeff Wills Guest

    Ken Kobayashi <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > On Mon, 9 Jun 2003 21:57:47 -0400, "ron" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >I am wondering if USS machines can be equipped with a fairing? More importantly, is there a
    > >generic fairing (sort of after market product) that can be attached to a USS machine? I am
    > >considering a USS configuration but like the idea of having a fairing to cut down on wind and
    > >weather.
    >
    > The three major fairing manufacturers are: Mueller (http://www.mueller-hp.com/)

    Mark Mueller himself has a Greenspeed trike (pictures from the website:
    http://windwrap.com/gx/gxatparkside6.jpg ) and has a pretty comprehensive set of brackets for
    mounting fairings on just about anything. Take a look at his compatibility chart:
    http://windwrap.com/compatability.htm .

    Jeff

  7. Gary B. Herbst

    Gary B. Herbst New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 3, 2003

    I am using a Vision fairing on a Haluzak. It seems to work on any bent that has a deraileur tube that is not capped off. One hex bolt holds it in place which makes transport easy. Also tilts forward and back for easy entrance on the bike.

  8. Seamus

    Seamus New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 24, 2003
  9. John Murphy

    John Murphy Guest

    Jude T. McGloin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > A very fast rider friend has a fairing on his VR-40. Its a Mueller that he made mounting brackets
    > for out of lawnchair aluminum and pop rivits. He also made a flipit to fit in the deraileur tube
    > so the whole fairing tilts fwd. This allows for a close in to the body position. Its quite Aero.
    > Are you lurking Murphy? Karbiker.
    > --
    > Jude....///Bacchetta AERO St. Michaels and Tilghman Island.. Maryland Wheel Doctor Cycle and
    > Sports, Inc 1-800-586-6645 "ron" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > I am wondering if USS machines can be equipped with a fairing? More importantly, is there a
    > > generic fairing (sort of after market product)
    > that
    > > can be attached to a USS machine? I am considering a USS configuration
    > but
    > > like the idea of having a fairing to cut down on wind and weather.
    > > Thanks, Ron

    Hey Jude first time I've looked at the group in a while computer crashed.But not much need for
    the fairing right now.Couldn't stand the eastern shore weather any more.Moved to where there.
    is some sun shine,loving it down here in North Port Florida. Murf R40 R82 Rans wave Homebuilt
    Trailmate Fun Trike

  10. Murphy yo' dog. Northport eh?...Just above Port Charlotte? I have some property on the Port
    Charlotte/Northport border. Al and I were wondering where the hell you two got to? Things are about
    the same at the shop. Except for the monsoons we have had this spring. Made some pontoons and
    outriggers for the AERO.
    Inc 1-800-586-6645 "John Murphy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Jude T. McGloin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > > A very fast rider friend has a fairing on his VR-40. Its a Mueller that
    he
    > > made mounting brackets for out of lawnchair aluminum and pop rivits. He
    also
    > > made a flipit to fit in the deraileur tube so the whole fairing tilts
    fwd.
    > > This allows for a close in to the body position. Its quite Aero. Are you lurking Murphy?
    > > Karbiker.
    > > --
    > > Jude....///Bacchetta AERO St. Michaels and Tilghman Island.. Maryland Wheel Doctor Cycle and
    > > Sports, Inc 1-800-586-6645 "ron" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > > > I am wondering if USS machines can be equipped with a fairing? More importantly, is there a
    > > > generic fairing (sort of after market product)
    > > that
    > > > can be attached to a USS machine? I am considering a USS
    configuration
    > > but
    > > > like the idea of having a fairing to cut down on wind and weather.
    > > > Thanks, Ron
    > > >

    > Hey Jude first time I've looked at the group in a while computer crashed.But not much need
    > for the fairing right now.Couldn't stand the eastern shore weather any more.Moved to where
    > there. is some sun shine,loving it down here in North Port Florida. Murf R40 R82 Rans wave
    > Homebuilt Trailmate Fun Trike

  11. Tom Blum

    Tom Blum Guest

    George Reynolds recently reported large gains using, not a fairing, but a "splitter". This is a fin
    from the front derailleur post back a foot or less. I'm going to try it one of thee days.

    He has data from rolldown tests showing a big effect. Look through the message board at " bent rider
    on line". I think it is in the "HPV racing" section. If not, it's in "technical discussion"

    The problem with conventional fairings is that there is usually too much space between the rider and
    the fairing. The flow gets behind the fairing and causes drag.