Fairing rattle

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Elaine, May 20, 2003.

  1. Elaine

    Elaine Guest

    My husband has a fairing on his Greenspeed and we can hear a rattle noise from vibration. Has anyone
    else experienced a rattle and what did you do about it? All the fittings are tight.

    Elaine

    Tags:

  2. Larry Varney

    Larry Varney Guest

    Elaine wrote:
    > My husband has a fairing on his Greenspeed and we can hear a rattle noise from vibration. Has
    > anyone else experienced a rattle and what did you do about it? All the fittings are tight.
    >
    > Elaine

    If it's a Mueller Windwrap with the 'classic' mount that flips, then I'm having the same problem.
    It's sort of a "clanking" sound, and once I assured myself that everything was tight, I stopped
    worrying about it. It's still annoying, but not in a "imminent destruction" way. My guess is that
    it has to be coming from the portion that's hinged and folds forward. Nothing else moves, so
    that's gotta be it. Right?

    --
    Larry Varney Cold Spring, KY http://home.fuse.net/larryvarney

  3. Elaine

    Elaine Guest

    Sounds like the same problem. I just suggested to him to try a piece of fabric or cardboard in the
    spot to tighten the space.

    Elaine

    "Larry Varney" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Elaine wrote:
    > > My husband has a fairing on his Greenspeed and we can hear a rattle
    noise
    > > from vibration. Has anyone else experienced a rattle and what did you
    do
    > > about it? All the fittings are tight.
    > >
    > > Elaine
    > >

    > If it's a Mueller Windwrap with the 'classic' mount that flips, then I'm having the same
    > problem. It's sort of a "clanking" sound, and once I assured myself that everything was tight,
    > I stopped worrying about it. It's still annoying, but not in a "imminent destruction" way. My
    > guess is that it has to be coming from the portion that's hinged and folds forward. Nothing
    > else moves, so that's gotta be it. Right?
    >
    > --
    > Larry Varney Cold Spring, KY http://home.fuse.net/larryvarney

  4. Harv

    Harv Guest

    Polycarbonate is a good drum head material, and bubble fairings have been known to 'drum'. It isn't
    necessarily the mounting brackets, it could be the bubble itself "Elaine" <[email protected]>
    > Sounds like the same problem. I just suggested to him to try a piece of fabric or cardboard in the
    > spot to tighten the space.
    >
    > Elaine
    >
    > "Larry Varney" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > Elaine wrote:
    > > > My husband has a fairing on his Greenspeed and we can hear a rattle
    > noise
    > > > from vibration. Has anyone else experienced a rattle and what did you
    > do
    > > > about it? All the fittings are tight.
    > > >
    > > > Elaine
    > > >

    > > If it's a Mueller Windwrap with the 'classic' mount that flips, then I'm having the same
    > > problem. It's sort of a "clanking" sound, and once I assured myself that everything was
    > > tight, I stopped worrying about it. It's still annoying, but not in a "imminent destruction"
    > > way. My guess is that it has to be coming from the portion that's hinged and folds forward.
    > > Nothing else moves, so that's gotta be it. Right?
    > >
    > > --
    > > Larry Varney Cold Spring, KY http://home.fuse.net/larryvarney

  5. Elaine

    Elaine Guest

    Thanks for the ideas. Elaine "harv" <harv*no_spam*@spininternet.com> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Polycarbonate is a good drum head material, and bubble fairings have been known to 'drum'. It
    > isn't necessarily the mounting brackets, it could be
    the
    > bubble itself

    > > noise
    > > do

  6. John Foltz

    John Foltz Guest

    "Elaine" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > My husband has a fairing on his Greenspeed and we can hear a rattle noise from vibration. Has
    > anyone else experienced a rattle and what did you do about it? All the fittings are tight.

    TourEasy riders often have this problem with their Super ZZippers. The solution is to gently tension
    the fairing lengthwise between the mounts.

  7. "Elaine" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<hzdza.514 Make sure the fairing is pulled
    tight. Sometimes even though the mounting hardware is tight, there is road noise that is transfered
    through the fairing because the fairing has some give in it. To fix or to properly install a
    fairing, first install the top mounts, then pull the fairing down and make sure it becomes taut,
    then install the bottom mounts and that usually takes care of most road noise. Or get a carbon fiber
    fairing eliminates road noise. Freddy