Fakie Roll Hops

So if I get this right, you ride towards a stairs backwards and clear
it? Land backwards too or can you 180 it?
I'll try it tommorow, but we don't have any proper sets here though,
the 5er we have is the same as a normal 6-7 set really and the 4 set is
the same as a normal 3 set... pretty bloody annoying.

--
DustinMichels

Been there, done that, went back for more.

*'OWNER OF 63921' (http://tinyurl.com/pa7go)*
DustinMichels's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10289

DustinMichels wrote:
> So if I get this right, you ride towards a stairs backwards and clear
> it? Land backwards too or can you 180 it?
> I'll try it tommorow, but we don't have any proper sets here though,
> the 5er we have is the same as a normal 6-7 set really and the 4 set is
> the same as a normal 3 set... pretty bloody annoying.

technically a fakie rolling hop involves taking off and landing
backwards...but taking off backwards and doing a 180 before landing,
would be a fakie 180 down a stairset, I guess.

--
James_Potter

i still believe that all you need is love...john
lennon
'*mikael atkinson*' (http://www.barefoothippie.com)
jonny peacock is my main man.
mdotedotatkinsonatgmaildotcom
*President of the 'MRIS' (http://tinyurl.com/dk2de)*

president_luke wrote:
> Hey unicycle people. I'm just wonering how many stairs people have fakie
> (backwards) roll hopped. I did a 5 today and im really happy. I've seen
> Shaun.J and Dan.H do 6 stairs. Anybody done anymore?

Backwards isn't "fakie" on a unicycle. Wrong foot forward is
equivalent to fakie.

--
tholub

koebwil wrote:
> Wrong foot forward is the equivalent of switch.

Well, I can see that argument, but "fakie" doesn't really work for
unicycling jargon. The reason it's called "fakie" is that you're
faking like it's normal when it's not. There's no faking involved in
going backwards on a unicycle; it's just going backwards. Why not just
call it "backwards"?

(Side note: you couldn't call it "backwards" on a skateboard or
snowboard, because you're actually moving sideways in either case).

--
tholub

backwards rolling hop down a stairs then, switches wouldn't be too good
on a unicycle though. You hardly see the difference between normal and
switch, plus, lots of people use different positions so it's not like
"OMG HE DID THAT WITH HIS LEFT FOOT FORWARDS, INSANE".
I'll settle with the term fakie rolling hop.

--

'GALLERY' (http://tinyurl.com/94j5k)*

tholub wrote:
> Well, I can see that argument, but "fakie" doesn't really work for
> unicycling jargon. The reason it's called "fakie" is that you're
> faking like it's normal when it's not. There's no faking involved in
> going backwards on a unicycle; it's just going backwards. Why not just
> call it "backwards"?
>
> (Side note: you couldn't call it "backwards" on a skateboard or
> snowboard, because you're actually moving sideways in either case).

It's called fakie on a bike too. Even for inline.

--
koebwil

"I used to eat erasers in grade school...." James_Potter
'come to my gallery.' (http://tinyurl.com/qssag)
I'm on 'my space' (http://www.myspace.com/73602024) now too
koebwil's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11308

tholub wrote:
> Backwards isn't "fakie" on a unicycle.

I didn't know you were a street rider, Tom... how long have you been
throwin' down the flips & spins?

We're glad you can set us straight on the terminology here... does this
mean that General Dibbles and 'Wikipedia'
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flatland_BMX) are wrong? Is there a
specific sport from which unicyclists are allowed to select their
jargon? As it stands, we've "borrowed" from skaters, bikers and
boarders so far...

:rolleyes:

--
maestro8

Groucho Marx

-Riding- backwards isn't necessarily fakie on a unicycle. But doing
tricks backwards that you would normally do forwards is considered
fakie.

For instance, a fakie 360 would be a 360 while riding backwards. Riding
down the road backwards wouldn't be considered 'riding fakie'.

--
forrestunifreak

Money talks. Mine says goodbye. *'My gallery'
(http://tinyurl.com/bbf9x)*