Fakie Roll Hops

Discussion in 'rec.sport.unicycling' started by president_luke, Apr 30, 2006.

  1. Hey unicycle people. I'm just wonering how many stairs people have fakie
    (backwards) roll hopped. I did a 5 today and im really happy. I've seen
    Shaun.J and Dan.H do 6 stairs. Anybody done anymore?

    --
    president_luke
    president_luke's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11036

  2. jake_amos

    jake_amos Guest

  3. So if I get this right, you ride towards a stairs backwards and clear
    it? Land backwards too or can you 180 it?
    I'll try it tommorow, but we don't have any proper sets here though,
    the 5er we have is the same as a normal 6-7 set really and the 4 set is
    the same as a normal 3 set... pretty bloody annoying.

    --
    DustinMichels

    Been there, done that, went back for more.

    *'OWNER OF 63921' (http://tinyurl.com/pa7go)*
    DustinMichels's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10289

  4. maxisback

    maxisback Guest

  5. James_Potter

    James_Potter Guest

    DustinMichels wrote:
    > So if I get this right, you ride towards a stairs backwards and clear
    > it? Land backwards too or can you 180 it?
    > I'll try it tommorow, but we don't have any proper sets here though,
    > the 5er we have is the same as a normal 6-7 set really and the 4 set is
    > the same as a normal 3 set... pretty bloody annoying.

    technically a fakie rolling hop involves taking off and landing
    backwards...but taking off backwards and doing a 180 before landing,
    would be a fakie 180 down a stairset, I guess.

    --
    James_Potter

    i still believe that all you need is love...john
    lennon
    '*mikael atkinson*' (http://www.barefoothippie.com)
    jonny peacock is my main man.
    mdotedotatkinsonatgmaildotcom
    *President of the 'MRIS' (http://tinyurl.com/dk2de)*

  6. tholub

    tholub Guest

    president_luke wrote:
    > Hey unicycle people. I'm just wonering how many stairs people have fakie
    > (backwards) roll hopped. I did a 5 today and im really happy. I've seen
    > Shaun.J and Dan.H do 6 stairs. Anybody done anymore?

    Backwards isn't "fakie" on a unicycle. Wrong foot forward is
    equivalent to fakie.

    --
    tholub

  7. koebwil

    koebwil Guest

  8. tholub

    tholub Guest

    koebwil wrote:
    > Wrong foot forward is the equivalent of switch.

    Well, I can see that argument, but "fakie" doesn't really work for
    unicycling jargon. The reason it's called "fakie" is that you're
    faking like it's normal when it's not. There's no faking involved in
    going backwards on a unicycle; it's just going backwards. Why not just
    call it "backwards"?

    (Side note: you couldn't call it "backwards" on a skateboard or
    snowboard, because you're actually moving sideways in either case).

    --
    tholub

  9. backwards rolling hop down a stairs then, switches wouldn't be too good
    on a unicycle though. You hardly see the difference between normal and
    switch, plus, lots of people use different positions so it's not like
    "OMG HE DID THAT WITH HIS LEFT FOOT FORWARDS, INSANE".
    I'll settle with the term fakie rolling hop.

    --
    DustinMichels

    Been there, done that, went back for more.

    *'OWNER OF 63921' (http://tinyurl.com/pa7go) ::
    'GALLERY' (http://tinyurl.com/94j5k)*
    DustinMichels's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10289

  10. koebwil

    koebwil Guest

    tholub wrote:
    > Well, I can see that argument, but "fakie" doesn't really work for
    > unicycling jargon. The reason it's called "fakie" is that you're
    > faking like it's normal when it's not. There's no faking involved in
    > going backwards on a unicycle; it's just going backwards. Why not just
    > call it "backwards"?
    >
    > (Side note: you couldn't call it "backwards" on a skateboard or
    > snowboard, because you're actually moving sideways in either case).

    It's called fakie on a bike too. Even for inline.

    --
    koebwil

    "I used to eat erasers in grade school...." James_Potter
    'come to my gallery.' (http://tinyurl.com/qssag)
    I'm on 'my space' (http://www.myspace.com/73602024) now too
    koebwil's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11308

  11. maxisback wrote:
    > dan heaton does 7 in defect..

    Wow your right. I counted 6 for some reason. Yeah just because its a
    skating word dosn't mean it's exactly the same in unicycling. Fakie is
    backwards.

    --
    president_luke
    president_luke's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11036

  12. onetrack

    onetrack Guest

    I am sure dan could go bigger than 7. He landed that set in defect on
    his first attempt. I wouldn't be suprised if he could make 8-9 steps.

    --
    onetrack

    "People over here have a dangerous habit of adding quotes to signature
    lines."
    -Klaas Bil
    onetrack's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6374

  13. andycookuk

    andycookuk Guest

  14. maestro8

    maestro8 Guest

    tholub wrote:
    > Backwards isn't "fakie" on a unicycle.

    I didn't know you were a street rider, Tom... how long have you been
    throwin' down the flips & spins?

    We're glad you can set us straight on the terminology here... does this
    mean that General Dibbles and 'Wikipedia'
    (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flatland_BMX) are wrong? Is there a
    specific sport from which unicyclists are allowed to select their
    jargon? As it stands, we've "borrowed" from skaters, bikers and
    boarders so far...

    :rolleyes:

    --
    maestro8

    Groucho Marx

  15. -Riding- backwards isn't necessarily fakie on a unicycle. But doing
    tricks backwards that you would normally do forwards is considered
    fakie.

    For instance, a fakie 360 would be a 360 while riding backwards. Riding
    down the road backwards wouldn't be considered 'riding fakie'.

    --
    forrestunifreak

    Money talks. Mine says goodbye. *'My gallery'
    (http://tinyurl.com/bbf9x)*