Falafel...cooked vs raw garbanzo beans??

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Deepak Saxena, Mar 6, 2004.

  1. Topic says it all. I have seen variations of falafel recipes
    with either cooked or raw beans. What's traditional and what
    have people found works best from experience? I'm making
    some for the first time tonight and have the chick peas
    currently soaking. My worry with using them raw is digestion
    issues and I am worried about having a pile of mush that
    won't set if I cook them before food processing.

    Tnx!! ~Deepak

    --
    Deepak Saxena - dsaxena at plexity dot net -
    http://www.plexity.net/

    Tags:

  2. In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] (Deepak Saxena) wrote:

    > Topic says it all. I have seen variations of falafel
    > recipes with either cooked or raw beans. What's
    > traditional and what have people found works best from
    > experience? I'm making some for the first time tonight and
    > have the chick peas currently soaking. My worry with using
    > them raw is digestion issues and I am worried about having
    > a pile of mush that won't set if I cook them before food
    > processing.

    IMO, raw is better. You soak them overnight, drain and
    then grind that way. Cooked turns to mush.

    Regards, Ranee

    --
    Remove do not and spam to e-mail me.

    "The God who made the world and everything in it, being Lord
    of heaven and earth, does not live in shrines made by man."
    Acts 17:24

  3. Cafeus

    Cafeus Guest

    [email protected] (Deepak Saxena) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Topic says it all. I have seen variations of falafel
    > recipes with either cooked or raw beans. What's
    > traditional and what have people found works best from
    > experience? I'm making some for the first time tonight and
    > have the chick peas currently soaking. My worry with using
    > them raw is digestion issues and I am worried about having
    > a pile of mush that won't set if I cook them before food
    > processing.
    >
    > Tnx!! ~Deepak

    HI, sorry this response is late but traditionally the beans
    are soaked then ground or pureed they are not cooked. cafeus

  4. Reg

    Reg Guest

    Deepak Saxena wrote:

    > Topic says it all. I have seen variations of falafel
    > recipes with either cooked or raw beans. What's
    > traditional and what have people found works best from
    > experience? I'm making some for the first time tonight and
    > have the chick peas currently soaking. My worry with using
    > them raw is digestion issues and I am worried about having
    > a pile of mush that won't set if I cook them before food
    > processing.

    I prefer to make falafel with slightly undercooked
    garbanzos.

    --
    Reg email: RegForte (at) (that free MS email service) (dot)
    com

  5. In article <[email protected]>,
    Deepak Saxena <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Topic says it all. I have seen variations of falafel
    >recipes with either cooked or raw beans. What's traditional
    >and what have people found works best from experience? I'm
    >making some for the first time tonight and have the chick
    >peas currently soaking. My worry with using them raw is
    >digestion issues and I am worried about having a pile of
    >mush that won't set if I cook them before food processing.

    Tnx for the replies. Unfortunately I went ahead and boiled
    them and I ended up with stuff that just fell apart upon
    hitting the oil. However, it did taste very very much like
    falafel and I was able to coerce the patties to stay
    together by rolling them in flour first. Slightly different
    taste, but they got gobbled up quickly.

    Next time I'll do this right. :)

    ~Deepak