Falafel...cooked vs raw garbanzo beans??

Deepak Saxena

Guest
Topic says it all. I have seen variations of falafel recipes
with either cooked or raw beans. What's traditional and what
have people found works best from experience? I'm making
some for the first time tonight and have the chick peas
currently soaking. My worry with using them raw is digestion
issues and I am worried about having a pile of mush that
won't set if I cook them before food processing.

Tnx!! ~Deepak

--
Deepak Saxena - dsaxena at plexity dot net -
http://www.plexity.net/

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] (Deepak Saxena) wrote:

> Topic says it all. I have seen variations of falafel
> recipes with either cooked or raw beans. What's
> traditional and what have people found works best from
> experience? I'm making some for the first time tonight and
> have the chick peas currently soaking. My worry with using
> them raw is digestion issues and I am worried about having
> a pile of mush that won't set if I cook them before food
> processing.

IMO, raw is better. You soak them overnight, drain and
then grind that way. Cooked turns to mush.

Regards, Ranee

--
Remove do not and spam to e-mail me.

"The God who made the world and everything in it, being Lord
of heaven and earth, does not live in shrines made by man."
Acts 17:24

[email protected] (Deepak Saxena) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Topic says it all. I have seen variations of falafel
> recipes with either cooked or raw beans. What's
> traditional and what have people found works best from
> experience? I'm making some for the first time tonight and
> have the chick peas currently soaking. My worry with using
> them raw is digestion issues and I am worried about having
> a pile of mush that won't set if I cook them before food
> processing.
>
> Tnx!! ~Deepak

HI, sorry this response is late but traditionally the beans
are soaked then ground or pureed they are not cooked. cafeus

Deepak Saxena wrote:

> Topic says it all. I have seen variations of falafel
> recipes with either cooked or raw beans. What's
> traditional and what have people found works best from
> experience? I'm making some for the first time tonight and
> have the chick peas currently soaking. My worry with using
> them raw is digestion issues and I am worried about having
> a pile of mush that won't set if I cook them before food
> processing.

I prefer to make falafel with slightly undercooked
garbanzos.

--
Reg email: RegForte (at) (that free MS email service) (dot)
com

In article <[email protected]>,
Deepak Saxena <[email protected]> wrote:

>Topic says it all. I have seen variations of falafel
>recipes with either cooked or raw beans. What's traditional
>and what have people found works best from experience? I'm
>making some for the first time tonight and have the chick
>peas currently soaking. My worry with using them raw is
>digestion issues and I am worried about having a pile of
>mush that won't set if I cook them before food processing.

Tnx for the replies. Unfortunately I went ahead and boiled
them and I ended up with stuff that just fell apart upon
hitting the oil. However, it did taste very very much like
falafel and I was able to coerce the patties to stay
together by rolling them in flour first. Slightly different
taste, but they got gobbled up quickly.

Next time I'll do this right. :)

~Deepak