Fall protection for mtn biker wrists?

Destroy <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Getting into technical stuff with a bit of height involved makes me ponder protection. I know the
> usual helmet, knee and elbow pads are fine but what about one's wrists?
>
> Being a mechanic my wrists are extremely important to my lively-hood. Is there anything one can
> wear mtn biking to help prevent wrist injury in the event of a fall?
>
> I know there are some sort of wrist guards that rollerbladers often wear but I've never seen or
> used them and wonder if they could be fitted somehow to be comfortable and workable enough to
> ride with?
>
> Any suggestions on this topic?

Don't extend your hands when you fall. (Say that one hundred times before every ride) Sounds simple,
but it is counter-intuitive. It takes concentration and attention to remember. Consider on slower
falls to the sides, just holding onto the bars and letting them take the impact, and if need be roll
all the way over with bike attached. Handlebars take the impact better than your collarbone, which
receives the benefit of your transferring all that energy up your arm. Faster crashes to the side
and front, learn the tuck and roll.

And the commander's advice about learning how to fall from Judo folks is good. Judo, Jiu-Jitsu,
Aikido or any other grappling/throwing sport has to teach its adherents how to fall. Otherwise they
get hurt, quit, and stop paying their monthly dues.

Finally, what I've done to avoid the problem (and yet more broken bones), *slow down on descents.* A
guy never killed himself (to my knowledge) climbing a hill at 5mph. It's always the siren-call of
the need for speed downhill that gets ya.

So there you have it, fwiw.

Paladin

"Paladin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Don't extend your hands when you fall. (Say that one hundred times before every ride) Sounds
> simple, but it is counter-intuitive. It takes concentration and attention to remember.

It sure does. I didn't listen to myself and wound up busting my wrist when I intuitively stuck my
hand out to try to break a fall.

- CA-G

Canadian Girls Kick Ass!

Destroy <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Getting into technical stuff with a bit of height involved makes me ponder protection. I know the
> usual helmet, knee and elbow pads are fine but what about one's wrists?
>
> Being a mechanic my wrists are extremely important to my lively-hood. Is there anything one can
> wear mtn biking to help prevent wrist injury in the event of a fall?
>
> I know there are some sort of wrist guards that rollerbladers often wear but I've never seen or
> used them and wonder if they could be fitted somehow to be comfortable and workable enough to
> ride with?
>
> Any suggestions on this topic?

I live in Hollyweird and got my hands on an original Star Wars Stormtrooper uniform. I just encase
myself in thermoplastic every ride and crash at will without ever getting a scratch.

JD

On 31 Jan 2003 09:23:10 -0800, [email protected] (Paladin) wrote:

>Don't extend your hands when you fall. (Say that one hundred times before every ride) Sounds
>simple, but it is counter-intuitive. It takes concentration and attention to remember. Consider on
>slower falls to the sides, just holding onto the bars and letting them take the impact, and if need
>be roll all the way over with bike attached. Handlebars take the impact better than your
>collarbone, which receives the benefit of your transferring all that energy up your arm. Faster
>crashes to the side and front, learn the tuck and roll.

>Paladin

Learned my skill building lesson last year during an endo. Stuck my hands out and nearly broke my
wrist on a super slow endo.

Peace, Bill

:-]

>Couldn't agree more! and Thanks for that info, JD jr.

I'll take that as a backhanded compliment....I think.

>Dave (what no mention of the adult BMX?)

Sometimes I pull my punches.

Peace get out and ride,

Bill

:-]

> Any suggestions on this topic?

Wear a helmet and fall on your head?

Like riding with clipless pedals, you need to re-learn a natural reaction.

But breaking your wrist shouldn't be high on your worry list. Other bones would/could break first.

nk

> Destroy <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > Getting into technical stuff with a bit of height involved makes me ponder protection. I know
> > the usual helmet, knee and elbow pads are fine but what about one's wrists?
> >
> > Being a mechanic my wrists are extremely important to my lively-hood. Is there anything one can
> > wear mtn biking to help prevent wrist injury in the event of a fall?
> >
> > I know there are some sort of wrist guards that rollerbladers often wear but I've never seen or
> > used them and wonder if they could be fitted somehow to be comfortable and workable enough to
> > ride with?
> >
> > Any suggestions on this topic?
>
> I live in Hollyweird and got my hands on an original Star Wars Stormtrooper uniform. I just encase
> myself in thermoplastic every ride and crash at will without ever getting a scratch.
>
> JD

Looks like you kept the Chewbacca uniform full time....

Dave (Elmer say's JD's a wookie!)

> >Couldn't agree more! and Thanks for that info, JD jr.
>
> I'll take that as a backhanded compliment....I think.

umm, I wouldn't. but I agree anyway.....

> >Dave (what no mention of the adult BMX?)
> >

> Sometimes I pull my punches.

There ya' go, dispelling the rumor that your actually that you're JD's and Rimmers love
child.....whatta trying to pull....

> Peace get out and ride,
>
> Bill

Live long and prosper Billy-boy

Dave

"Dave" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> > Destroy <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
> > > Getting into technical stuff with a bit of height involved makes me ponder protection. I know
> > > the usual helmet, knee and elbow pads are fine but what about one's wrists?
> > >
> > > Being a mechanic my wrists are extremely important to my lively-hood. Is there anything one
> > > can wear mtn biking to help prevent wrist injury in the event of a fall?
> > >
> > > I know there are some sort of wrist guards that rollerbladers often wear but I've never seen
> > > or used them and wonder if they could be fitted somehow to be comfortable and workable enough
> > > to ride with?
> > >
> > > Any suggestions on this topic?
> >
> > I live in Hollyweird and got my hands on an original Star Wars Stormtrooper uniform. I just
> > encase myself in thermoplastic every ride and crash at will without ever getting a scratch.
> >
> > JD
>
> Looks like you kept the Chewbacca uniform full time....
>
> Dave (Elmer say's JD's a wookie!)

Hey, look who made a funny! /s

"supabonbon" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Dave" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > "JD" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > > Destroy <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:<[email protected]>...
fine

> > > I live in Hollyweird and got my hands on an original Star Wars Stormtrooper uniform. I just
> > > encase myself in thermoplastic every ride and crash at will without ever getting a scratch.
> > >
> > > JD
> >
> > Looks like you kept the Chewbacca uniform full time....
> >
> > Dave (Elmer say's JD's a wookie!)
>

> Hey, look who made a funny! /s

it was obviously a fluke..

but I'll keep trying....