Fall/Winter cycling tights suggestions wanted

MtnGoat

Guest
Hi all, first post to this group,

I'm a retired racing (Cat. 2) and touring (several multi-week and
-month) cyclist. But it's been many moons since I've been on my bike
and now I'm itching to get going again. But as I contemplate this the
leaves are falling and it gets colder, so I find myself in the market
for some tights.

Back in the day, one of the few luxuries I afforded myself (aside from
Vittoria CX/CG's) were Assos full bibs. Wore out two pairs. I see
they're now running upward toward US$400 which is nearly twice what I
used to pay, so I'm shopping around and not seeing much in the way of
reviews of other brands. One I do come across is the British Endura
brand which I've seen good dicussion of, and a decent price as well.

Anyone have any other recommendations at around US$100? They need to
be full bib, and suitable for down to freezing temps (altho I have a
high tolerance for the cold).

Thanks!

Chuck

MtnGoat wrote:
> Hi all, first post to this group,
>
> I'm a retired racing (Cat. 2) and touring (several multi-week and
> -month) cyclist. But it's been many moons since I've been on my bike
> and now I'm itching to get going again. But as I contemplate this the
> leaves are falling and it gets colder, so I find myself in the market
> for some tights.
>
> Back in the day, one of the few luxuries I afforded myself (aside from
> Vittoria CX/CG's) were Assos full bibs. Wore out two pairs. I see
> they're now running upward toward US$400 which is nearly twice what I
> used to pay, so I'm shopping around and not seeing much in the way of
> reviews of other brands. One I do come across is the British Endura
> brand which I've seen good dicussion of, and a decent price as well.
>
> Anyone have any other recommendations at around US$100? They need to
> be full bib, and suitable for down to freezing temps (altho I have a
> high tolerance for the cold).

I haven't been truly happy with any tights since Protogs merino wool
were still around.

On Mon, 30 Oct 2006 21:14:05 GMT, MtnGoat <[email protected]> wrote:

>Hi all, first post to this group,
>
>I'm a retired racing (Cat. 2) and touring (several multi-week and
>-month) cyclist. But it's been many moons since I've been on my bike
>and now I'm itching to get going again. But as I contemplate this the
>leaves are falling and it gets colder, so I find myself in the market
>for some tights.
>
>Back in the day, one of the few luxuries I afforded myself (aside from
>Vittoria CX/CG's) were Assos full bibs. Wore out two pairs. I see
>they're now running upward toward US$400 which is nearly twice what I
>used to pay, so I'm shopping around and not seeing much in the way of
>reviews of other brands. One I do come across is the British Endura
>brand which I've seen good dicussion of, and a decent price as well.
>
>Anyone have any other recommendations at around US$100? They need to
>be full bib, and suitable for down to freezing temps (altho I have a
>high tolerance for the cold).

I don't wear them below 40F, but I tend to dress warmer than other
people, so take a look at the Giordana bib tights available at
<http://www.sierratradingpost.com/product.aspx?baseno=17466&CN=Giordana-Race-Tech-Bib-Tights-For-Men>
Quite nice -- very thick 'roubaix" material.

--
JT
****************************

In article <[email protected]>,
MtnGoat <[email protected]> wrote:

> Hi all, first post to this group,
>
> I'm a retired racing (Cat. 2) and touring (several multi-week and
> -month) cyclist. But it's been many moons since I've been on my bike
> and now I'm itching to get going again. But as I contemplate this the
> leaves are falling and it gets colder, so I find myself in the market
> for some tights.
>
> Back in the day, one of the few luxuries I afforded myself (aside
> from Vittoria CX/CG's) were Assos full bibs. Wore out two pairs. I
> see they're now running upward toward US$400 which is nearly twice
> what I used to pay, so I'm shopping around and not seeing much in the
> way of reviews of other brands. One I do come across is the British
> Endura brand which I've seen good dicussion of, and a decent price as
> well.
>
> Anyone have any other recommendations at around US$100? They need to
> be full bib, and suitable for down to freezing temps (altho I have a
> high tolerance for the cold).

The full bibs requirement severely limits your options. If you can live
without that, I recommend the Col d'Lizard Powerstretch 100 tights.
These are very comfortable and good from the high 40s to the teens.

http://www.coldlizard.com/cgi/wc.dll?GEKKO~catalog~DETAIL~34

I've never personally used them, so bear that in mind, but Boure has a
good reputation:

http://www.boure.com/tightsmen.html

In article <[email protected]>,
"bill" <[email protected]> wrote:

> I haven't been truly happy with any tights since Protogs merino wool
> were still around.

Try the Col d'Lizard Powerstretch 100 tights. They feel remarkably like
wool, weigh less than wool, and are very cozy. And they don't wear out
in the crotch as quick as wool did.

Tim McNamara wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>,
> "bill" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > I haven't been truly happy with any tights since Protogs merino wool
> > were still around.

> Try the Col d'Lizard Powerstretch 100 tights. They feel remarkably like
> wool, weigh less than wool, and are very cozy. And they don't wear out
> in the crotch as quick as wool did.

I have to second the Powerstretch 100 tights from Cold Lizard. I have
two pairs and they're my favorites.
http://www.coldlizard.com/cgi/wc.dll?GEKKO~catalog~DETAIL~34

In article
<[email protected]>,
MtnGoat <[email protected]> wrote:

> Hi all, first post to this group,
>
> I'm a retired racing (Cat. 2) and touring (several multi-week and
> -month) cyclist. But it's been many moons since I've been on my bike
> and now I'm itching to get going again. But as I contemplate this the
> leaves are falling and it gets colder, so I find myself in the market
> for some tights.
>
> Back in the day, one of the few luxuries I afforded myself (aside from
> Vittoria CX/CG's) were Assos full bibs. Wore out two pairs. I see
> they're now running upward toward US$400 which is nearly twice what I
> used to pay, so I'm shopping around and not seeing much in the way of
> reviews of other brands. One I do come across is the British Endura
> brand which I've seen good dicussion of, and a decent price as well.
>
> Anyone have any other recommendations at around US$100? They need to
> be full bib, and suitable for down to freezing temps (altho I have a
> high tolerance for the cold).

Blackbottoms. Good seams. Fair price.

<http://www.blackbottoms.com/Bib_Tight_with_Ankle_Zipper.asp>

--
Michael Press

In article <[email protected]>,
Michael Press <[email protected]> wrote:

> In article <[email protected]>,
> MtnGoat <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > Hi all, first post to this group,
> >
> > I'm a retired racing (Cat. 2) and touring (several multi-week and
> > -month) cyclist. But it's been many moons since I've been on my
> > bike and now I'm itching to get going again. But as I contemplate
> > this the leaves are falling and it gets colder, so I find myself in
> > the market for some tights.
> >
> > Back in the day, one of the few luxuries I afforded myself (aside
> > from Vittoria CX/CG's) were Assos full bibs. Wore out two pairs. I
> > see they're now running upward toward US$400 which is nearly twice
> > what I used to pay, so I'm shopping around and not seeing much in
> > the way of reviews of other brands. One I do come across is the
> > British Endura brand which I've seen good dicussion of, and a
> > decent price as well.
> >
> > Anyone have any other recommendations at around US$100? They need
> > to be full bib, and suitable for down to freezing temps (altho I
> > have a high tolerance for the cold).

> Blackbottoms. Good seams. Fair price.
>
> <http://www.blackbottoms.com/Bib_Tight_with_Ankle_Zipper.asp>

Good grief! Are they still in business? My first pair of cycling
shorts was made by them, nearly 25 years ago.

[email protected] wrote:
> Tim McNamara wrote:
>> In article <[email protected]>,
>> "bill" <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>>> I haven't been truly happy with any tights since Protogs merino wool
>>> were still around.

>> Try the Col d'Lizard Powerstretch 100 tights. They feel remarkably like
>> wool, weigh less than wool, and are very cozy. And they don't wear out
>> in the crotch as quick as wool did.

> I have to second the Powerstretch 100 tights from Cold Lizard. I have
> two pairs and they're my favorites.
> http://www.coldlizard.com/cgi/wc.dll?GEKKO~catalog~DETAIL~34

I'll "third" the PowerStretch 100 tights. If OP wants bib style, those
are available custom-made from Young Originals (youngoriginals.com). I
imagine they are still under $100/pr -- ask for PowerStretch -- it's not
in catalog. I have ordered stuff from both companies, and was pleased
with everything.

"Tim McNamara" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>,
> Michael Press <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > In article <[email protected]>,
> > MtnGoat <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> > > Hi all, first post to this group,
> > >
> > > I'm a retired racing (Cat. 2) and touring (several multi-week and
> > > -month) cyclist. But it's been many moons since I've been on my
> > > bike and now I'm itching to get going again. But as I contemplate
> > > this the leaves are falling and it gets colder, so I find myself

in
> > > the market for some tights.
> > >
> > > Back in the day, one of the few luxuries I afforded myself (aside
> > > from Vittoria CX/CG's) were Assos full bibs. Wore out two pairs. I
> > > see they're now running upward toward US$400 which is nearly twice
> > > what I used to pay, so I'm shopping around and not seeing much in
> > > the way of reviews of other brands. One I do come across is the
> > > British Endura brand which I've seen good dicussion of, and a
> > > decent price as well.
> > >
> > > Anyone have any other recommendations at around US$100? They need
> > > to be full bib, and suitable for down to freezing temps (altho I
> > > have a high tolerance for the cold).

> > Blackbottoms. Good seams. Fair price.
> >
> > <http://www.blackbottoms.com/Bib_Tight_with_Ankle_Zipper.asp>

> Good grief! Are they still in business? My first pair of cycling
> shorts was made by them, nearly 25 years ago.

Moths got mine!

On Mon, 30 Oct 2006 21:14:05 GMT, MtnGoat <[email protected]> wrote:

>Hi all, first post to this group,
>
>I'm a retired racing (Cat. 2) and touring (several multi-week and
>-month) cyclist. But it's been many moons since I've been on my bike
>and now I'm itching to get going again. But as I contemplate this the
>leaves are falling and it gets colder, so I find myself in the market
>for some tights.
>
>Back in the day, one of the few luxuries I afforded myself (aside from
>Vittoria CX/CG's) were Assos full bibs. Wore out two pairs. I see
>they're now running upward toward US$400 which is nearly twice what I
>used to pay, so I'm shopping around and not seeing much in the way of
>reviews of other brands. One I do come across is the British Endura
>brand which I've seen good dicussion of, and a decent price as well.
>
>Anyone have any other recommendations at around US$100? They need to
>be full bib, and suitable for down to freezing temps (altho I have a
>high tolerance for the cold).
>
>Thanks!
>
>Chuck

Hey thanks for the great responses, y'all.
Tough decisions when you can't actually try them on, but I'll take the
chance. AFA bibs being needed, let's just say my current <caph> build
dictates. Without over the shoulder support I'd be constantly pulling
them up (but that was true when seeing my own belt buckle wasn't such
a problem as well).

So it's down to the Enduras, Boure (Nedly's brand?), Giordanas, and
custom PowerStretch 100's.

Thanks again!

Chuck

"MtnGoat" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Mon, 30 Oct 2006 21:14:05 GMT, MtnGoat <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >Hi all, first post to this group,
> >
> >I'm a retired racing (Cat. 2) and touring (several multi-week and
> >-month) cyclist. But it's been many moons since I've been on my bike
> >and now I'm itching to get going again. But as I contemplate this the
> >leaves are falling and it gets colder, so I find myself in the market
> >for some tights.
> >
> >Back in the day, one of the few luxuries I afforded myself (aside

from
> >Vittoria CX/CG's) were Assos full bibs. Wore out two pairs. I see
> >they're now running upward toward US$400 which is nearly twice what I
> >used to pay, so I'm shopping around and not seeing much in the way of
> >reviews of other brands. One I do come across is the British Endura
> >brand which I've seen good dicussion of, and a decent price as well.
> >
> >Anyone have any other recommendations at around US$100? They need to
> >be full bib, and suitable for down to freezing temps (altho I have a
> >high tolerance for the cold).
> >
> >Thanks!
> >
> >Chuck

> Hey thanks for the great responses, y'all.
> Tough decisions when you can't actually try them on, but I'll take the
> chance. AFA bibs being needed, let's just say my current <caph> build
> dictates. Without over the shoulder support I'd be constantly pulling
> them up (but that was true when seeing my own belt buckle wasn't such
> a problem as well).
>
> So it's down to the Enduras, Boure (Nedly's brand?), Giordanas, and
> custom PowerStretch 100's.
>
> Thanks again!
>
> Chuck

I'm in somewhat the same boat as you.

I dug out an almost new set of short Trek bibs - they are a little tight
though....

I also found my old suspenders (braces) but the clips were all rusted
from perspiration over time.

I tried on a number of different pairs of winter tights at a LBS
recently. I wear Lg/XtraLg (size 5) but I have short legs - 28" inseam.
I couldn't find any that weren't 4"-6" longer than my legs.

Guess that I'll have to order some special made winter bibs.

Chas.

"MtnGoat" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Mon, 30 Oct 2006 21:14:05 GMT, MtnGoat <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>Hi all, first post to this group,
>>
>>I'm a retired racing (Cat. 2) and touring (several multi-week and
>>-month) cyclist. But it's been many moons since I've been on my bike
>>and now I'm itching to get going again. But as I contemplate this the
>>leaves are falling and it gets colder, so I find myself in the market
>>for some tights.
>>
>>Back in the day, one of the few luxuries I afforded myself (aside from
>>Vittoria CX/CG's) were Assos full bibs. Wore out two pairs. I see
>>they're now running upward toward US$400 which is nearly twice what I
>>used to pay, so I'm shopping around and not seeing much in the way of
>>reviews of other brands. One I do come across is the British Endura
>>brand which I've seen good dicussion of, and a decent price as well.
>>
>>Anyone have any other recommendations at around US$100? They need to
>>be full bib, and suitable for down to freezing temps (altho I have a
>>high tolerance for the cold).
>>
>>Thanks!
>>
>>Chuck

> Hey thanks for the great responses, y'all.
> Tough decisions when you can't actually try them on, but I'll take the
> chance. AFA bibs being needed, let's just say my current <caph> build
> dictates. Without over the shoulder support I'd be constantly pulling
> them up (but that was true when seeing my own belt buckle wasn't such
> a problem as well).
>
> So it's down to the Enduras, Boure (Nedly's brand?), Giordanas, and
> custom PowerStretch 100's.
>
> Thanks again!
>
> Chuck

maybe Uvex Sport Suspenders - Mountain Equipment Co-op
http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_...older_id=2534374302699263&bmUID=1162349183513

they have bibs too.

Tim McNamara wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>,
> Michael Press <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> In article <[email protected]>,
>> MtnGoat <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all, first post to this group,
>>>
>>> I'm a retired racing (Cat. 2) and touring (several multi-week and
>>> -month) cyclist. But it's been many moons since I've been on my
>>> bike and now I'm itching to get going again. But as I contemplate
>>> this the leaves are falling and it gets colder, so I find myself in
>>> the market for some tights.
>>>
>>> Back in the day, one of the few luxuries I afforded myself (aside
>>> from Vittoria CX/CG's) were Assos full bibs. Wore out two pairs. I
>>> see they're now running upward toward US$400 which is nearly twice
>>> what I used to pay, so I'm shopping around and not seeing much in
>>> the way of reviews of other brands. One I do come across is the
>>> British Endura brand which I've seen good dicussion of, and a
>>> decent price as well.
>>>
>>> Anyone have any other recommendations at around US$100? They need
>>> to be full bib, and suitable for down to freezing temps (altho I
>>> have a high tolerance for the cold).

>> Blackbottoms. Good seams. Fair price.
>>
>> <http://www.blackbottoms.com/Bib_Tight_with_Ankle_Zipper.asp>

> Good grief! Are they still in business? My first pair of cycling
> shorts was made by them, nearly 25 years ago.

http://www.lickbike.com/manfline1.asp?MANF='Blackbottom'
It ain't all Blackbottoms, strangely.

Robin Hubert

"nash" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> "MtnGoat" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > On Mon, 30 Oct 2006 21:14:05 GMT, MtnGoat <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> >>Hi all, first post to this group,
> >>
> >>I'm a retired racing (Cat. 2) and touring (several multi-week and
> >>-month) cyclist. But it's been many moons since I've been on my bike
> >>and now I'm itching to get going again. But as I contemplate this

the
> >>leaves are falling and it gets colder, so I find myself in the

market
> >>for some tights.
> >>
> >>Back in the day, one of the few luxuries I afforded myself (aside

from
> >>Vittoria CX/CG's) were Assos full bibs. Wore out two pairs. I see
> >>they're now running upward toward US$400 which is nearly twice what

> >>used to pay, so I'm shopping around and not seeing much in the way

of
> >>reviews of other brands. One I do come across is the British Endura
> >>brand which I've seen good dicussion of, and a decent price as well.
> >>
> >>Anyone have any other recommendations at around US$100? They need to
> >>be full bib, and suitable for down to freezing temps (altho I have a
> >>high tolerance for the cold).
> >>
> >>Thanks!
> >>
> >>Chuck

> > Hey thanks for the great responses, y'all.
> > Tough decisions when you can't actually try them on, but I'll take

the
> > chance. AFA bibs being needed, let's just say my current <caph>

build
> > dictates. Without over the shoulder support I'd be constantly

pulling
> > them up (but that was true when seeing my own belt buckle wasn't

such
> > a problem as well).
> >
> > So it's down to the Enduras, Boure (Nedly's brand?), Giordanas, and
> > custom PowerStretch 100's.
> >
> > Thanks again!
> >
> > Chuck

> maybe Uvex Sport Suspenders - Mountain Equipment Co-op

http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT<>prd_id=845524
442619949&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302699263&bmUID=1162349183513

> they have bibs too.

I wonder about the plastic clips. I had several pairs of suspenders that
I used for cycling, cross country and telemark skiing. The metal clips
on one pair kept coming apart even though they were high quality
suspenders. The other ones rusted out.

Bibs are nice but difficult when one needs to water their lizard....
worse than panty hose (reference being, many men used to wear women's
panty hose for warmth when participating in winter sports)!

Chas.

MtnGoat wrote:
> Hi all, first post to this group,
>
> I'm a retired racing (Cat. 2) and touring (several multi-week and
> -month) cyclist. But it's been many moons since I've been on my bike
> and now I'm itching to get going again. But as I contemplate this the
> leaves are falling and it gets colder, so I find myself in the market
> for some tights.
>
> Back in the day, one of the few luxuries I afforded myself (aside from
> Vittoria CX/CG's) were Assos full bibs. Wore out two pairs. I see
> they're now running upward toward US$400 which is nearly twice what I
> used to pay, so I'm shopping around and not seeing much in the way of
> reviews of other brands. One I do come across is the British Endura
> brand which I've seen good dicussion of, and a decent price as well.
>
> Anyone have any other recommendations at around US$100? They need to
> be full bib, and suitable for down to freezing temps (altho I have a
> high tolerance for the cold).
>
> Thanks!
>
> Chuck

I like the Pearl Izumi Therma Fleece tights. Available in bib or tight
version. Both bib and tight are available with or without chamois.
Available on sale and with discount coupon codes from Performance
and/or Nashbar.

And here is a review since that seems to be important to you.
http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech.php?id=tech/2006/reviews/pearl_izumi_fleece_bib

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> MtnGoat wrote:
> > Hi all, first post to this group,
> >
> > I'm a retired racing (Cat. 2) and touring (several multi-week

and
> > -month) cyclist. But it's been many moons since I've been on

my bike
> > and now I'm itching to get going again. But as I contemplate

this the
> > leaves are falling and it gets colder, so I find myself in

the market
> > for some tights.
> >
> > Back in the day, one of the few luxuries I afforded myself

(aside from
> > Vittoria CX/CG's) were Assos full bibs. Wore out two pairs. I

see
> > they're now running upward toward US$400 which is nearly

twice what I
> > used to pay, so I'm shopping around and not seeing much in

the way of
> > reviews of other brands. One I do come across is the British

Endura
> > brand which I've seen good dicussion of, and a decent price

as well.

> > Anyone have any other recommendations at around US$100? They

need to
> > be full bib, and suitable for down to freezing temps (altho I

have a
> > high tolerance for the cold).
> >
> > Thanks!
> >
> > Chuck

> I like the Pearl Izumi Therma Fleece tights. Available in bib

or tight
> version. Both bib and tight are available with or without

chamois.
> Available on sale and with discount coupon codes from

Performance
> and/or Nashbar.
>
> And here is a review since that seems to be important to you.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech.php?id=tech/2006/reviews/pearl_izumi_fleece_bib

I like these, too. They are a good value and a good fit for a
taller rider (no bib snuggy effect). I have ridden them in below
freezing temperatures, and they were warm enough. They are not
the warmest bibs on the market, though -- and that is good for me
because I live in a relatively temperate climate and rarely ride
in temperatures below the 20s. If I lived in a really cold
climate, e.g. Minnesota, I might want something with insulating
panels and a little more heft -- or a better set of rollers. --
Jay Beattie.