Fall/Winter Riding Motivation

Kerry Nikolaise

Guest
I am curious to know when people from this list get in their M-F rides. Here in the midwest, one
maybe has 1-1.5 hours after work to ride, although that window will be closed in a couple of weeks.

Morning riding is the same with the sun not lighting things up until about 6:45 am.

Especially as fall progresses, when, and how often do you non-commuter types get your rides in?
Do folks just crank up the indoor trainer for weekly rides, or go with lighting systems/cold
weather gear?

Kerry "I'm having trouble getting motivated to ride at 5:45 am" Nikolaisen

> I am curious to know when people from this list get in their M-F rides. Here in the midwest,
> one maybe has 1-1.5 hours after work to ride, although that window will be closed in a couple
> of weeks.
>
> Morning riding is the same with the sun not lighting things up until about 6:45 am.
>
> Especially as fall progresses, when, and how often do you non-commuter types get your rides in?
> Do folks just crank up the indoor trainer for weekly rides, or go with lighting systems/cold
> weather gear?
>
> Kerry "I'm having trouble getting motivated to ride at 5:45 am" Nikolaisen

I go out for short (10 - 15 mi), hard rides right after I get home from work. I try to be back in by
about 6:15 or so, and always wear my bright yellow jersey and run with my blinky on, and the
headlight on its dim setting to help me be seen.

I ride at 5:30 AM. Put lights on the bike, wear a reflective vest, dress appropriately, use roads
that are relatively lightly traveled, and enjoy the solitude and animals!

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jim Artherholt
[email protected] "Kerry Nikolaisen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I am curious to know when people from this list get in their M-F rides. Here in the midwest,
> one maybe has 1-1.5 hours after work to ride, although that window will be closed in a couple
> of weeks.
>
> Morning riding is the same with the sun not lighting things up until about 6:45 am.
>
> Especially as fall progresses, when, and how often do you non-commuter types get your rides in?
> Do folks just crank up the indoor trainer for weekly rides, or go with lighting systems/cold
> weather gear?
>
> Kerry "I'm having trouble getting motivated to ride at 5:45 am" Nikolaisen

Kerry Nikolaisen <[email protected]> spake thusly on or about Wed, 1 Oct 2003 11:27:38 UTC

-> Kerry "I'm having trouble getting motivated to ride at 5:45 am" Nikolaisen ->

to quote the zen master: Just do it.

I personally prefer riding at -40C more than 38C but I ride everyday that I have to go someplace and
am well enough.
--
I hurt before the ride so fibro gives me a head start on the rest of the pack. silver lining?
[email protected]

"Kerry Nikolaisen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I am curious to know when people from this list get in their M-F rides. Here in the midwest,
> one maybe has 1-1.5 hours after work to ride, although that window will be closed in a couple
> of weeks.
>
> Morning riding is the same with the sun not lighting things up until about 6:45 am.
>
> Especially as fall progresses, when, and how often do you non-commuter types get your rides in?
> Do folks just crank up the indoor trainer for weekly rides, or go with lighting systems/cold
> weather gear?
>
> Kerry "I'm having trouble getting motivated to ride at 5:45 am" Nikolaisen

I've already put lights on my MTB. Go to work at about 06:00 AM for a two hours ride. Return back
home @ 16:00 for anaother hour. Soon I'll have to put studdied tires on. Ride all winter but it can
be hard getting out @
06:00 AM when it's snowy and windy. Makes you tough I guess. Hjalmar

Kerry Nikolaisen <[email protected]> wrote:

: Especially as fall progresses, when, and how often do you non-commuter types get your rides in?
: Do folks just crank up the indoor trainer for weekly rides, or go with lighting systems/cold
: weather gear?

A trainer could be a good idea, especially if you use it for measuring your power levels and your
bike doesn't have such function. Then again, do you want to ride the trainer for 6+ months? :)

If you want to implement a regular training programme then rain, snow and wind can be no obstacle.
What really keeps one from riding is the stuff between one's two ears. Maybe it's time to edit your
self-image... :) Be sure to dress and gear up appropriately.

That said, winter can be a good time for a change of focus. One could go from racing to touring or
off-road riding. Personally I find winter a good time to cross-train and taper, though I still
commute a bit.

Kerry Nikolaisen <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> I am curious to know when people from this list get in their M-F rides. Here in the midwest,
> one maybe has 1-1.5 hours after work to ride, although that window will be closed in a couple
> of weeks.
>
> Morning riding is the same with the sun not lighting things up until about 6:45 am.
>
> Especially as fall progresses, when, and how often do you non-commuter types get your rides in?
> Do folks just crank up the indoor trainer for weekly rides, or go with lighting systems/cold
> weather gear?
>
> Kerry "I'm having trouble getting motivated to ride at 5:45 am" Nikolaisen

I get up and put on my flashing lights. Although it is easier for me since NYC has thoughtfully
provided my riding route with street lights.

If I have to ride in winter gear I must have the sun shining on me. I put away the bike for weekday
rides in the winter tho my gf puts hers on the trainer. If I'm in the mood I'll sometimes take the
bike out in January. Especially if I'm putting air in the tires. All of a sudden I've got my riding
gear on and I'm out the door. Don't know how it happens.

Andy

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...
> Kerry Nikolaisen <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> : Especially as fall progresses, when, and how often do you non-commuter types get your rides in?
> : Do folks just crank up the indoor trainer for weekly rides, or go with lighting systems/cold
> : weather gear?
>
> A trainer could be a good idea, especially if you use it for measuring your power levels and your
> bike doesn't have such function. Then again, do you want to ride the trainer for 6+ months? :)

In my area, it's about 4 <Grin>.

"Kerry Nikolaisen" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> Especially as fall progresses, when, and how often do you non-commuter types get your rides in?
> Do folks just crank up the indoor trainer for weekly rides, or go with lighting systems/cold
> weather gear?
>
> Kerry "I'm having trouble getting motivated to ride at 5:45 am" Nikolaisen

I don't know the trick to getting motivated at 5:45am either, which is about the time I go out. As
someone zenfully mentioned, you just do it. Once you're on the bike, the motivation to finish the
ride eventually kicks in. For me the first two minutes are the toughest; it's all downhill (so to
speak) from there.

We're not even into cold weather. Here in Los Angeles it's never really bitingly cold (I remember
one year when it got down to 42 degrees fahrenheit). These early October mornings it's in the high
fifties or low sixties at that time of the morning. Weather-related problems like fog or rain are
rare. It's dark but I have lights and the streets are well-lit so I don't have many excuses.

Frankly there's no other time for my ride, which is about six to eight miles on weekdays. Evenings
are out; traffic's no good then. And I have to be back home by about 6:15am to get the kids roused
and fed and walked to the bus or school so a later morning ride is impractical.

Sometimes I think about how bad my knees will feel if I skip too many morning workouts. Sometimes I
say to myself "What would Lance do?" (this works only occasionally though). Now and again I'll allow
myself to buy some nifty piece of new gear or upgrade the bike to increase my obligation; to *not*
go out would be a waste of all that good money, not to mention somehow disrespectful to the bike.

You could also focus on how good it'll feel to finish the ride. Sometimes this works for me too...it
did this morning.

----
[email protected]