falling asleep on rides

cobbwheels

Dec 7, 2022
Yesterday I went for a ride but had to cut short the ride. Everything is going perfect until I started feeling very sleepy and actually falling asleep and nearly hitting the kerb. Interesting observation is I kept on pedaling, maintained my posture, maintained the zone 2 effort but my mind just turned off and even closed my eyes.

Otherwise, the rest of my body is doing perfectly. No fatigue, no headache whatsoever, and well-hydrated with electrolytes just felt very sleepy. Having only 2 hrs of sleep is definitely to blame! I went for a 6 hr sleep when I got home and back to 100%

Reactions: Mr. Beanz
Never happened to me. I did a timed event century with 10,000 ft of gain with 3 hours of sleep.

I vdid pay attention to lessons learned the previous year and reading some sleeping tips on cycling forums.

Knowing I'd be anxious the night before, I slept well the previous 2 or 3 days Knowing. Really helped on the ride with little sleep.

In your case, I guess you can't plan too far ahead if it was a get up and go type of ride.

Also remember it's not good to over train. Do some easy short recoup rides as well.

No have never had got sleepy on the bike because of sleep deprivation.
But had and have my share of sleeping issues. I won't get on the bike if I am tired or not alert.

If I had been following along , cobbwheels' bike is on the heavy side and is a light rider.
I'd fall asleep on the bike if I had to pedal that bike those distances and vertical gains.

Reactions: cobbwheels
Never happened to me. I did a timed event century with 10,000 ft of gain with 3 hours of sleep.

I vdid pay attention to lessons learned the previous year and reading some sleeping tips on cycling forums.

Knowing I'd be anxious the night before, I slept well the previous 2 or 3 days Knowing. Really helped on the ride with little sleep.

In your case, I guess you can't plan too far ahead if it was a get up and go type of ride.

Also remember it's not good to over train. Do some easy short recoup rides as well.

I've been doing the 2 to 3 days too, in fact, I stock up on sleep for 6 days before the early morning ride because the night before that ride, I usually only get 4 hrs of sleep due to being anxious like you do or getting too excited with the nice weather report. 4 hrs would have been enough. But this time, I only had 2 hrs.

This time. it was really bad and I couldn't control the spontaneous sleeping so I took a short break while riding before turning back for home.

No have never had got sleepy on the bike because of sleep deprivation.
But had and have my share of sleeping issues. I won't get on the bike if I am tired or not alert.

If I had been following along , cobbwheels' bike is on the heavy side and is a light rider.
I'd fall asleep on the bike if I had to pedal that bike those distances and vertical gains.

You could be right. The bike's weight has bigger impact on light riders because it's a bigger % of the rider's weight. Loaded bike at 42 lbs and me at 116 lbs and that's well over 1/3 of my body weight.

It definitely makes me slower on climbs, though I don't mind it. I ride solo the vast majority of the time anyway so I don't need to keep up with anyone. But I guess being slower means you're absolutely getting no adrenaline boost, nothing to keep you feeling awake and alert should you begin to feel sleepy.

If I'm not seriously deprived of sleep, I can still fall into few seconds of very shallow sleep intervals during a climb but would actually feel recharged and alert again after several such sleep intervals. Don't know how my weird brain is doing it so I absolutely WONT recommend doing it. It could be very dangerous when riding in a group in narrow two lane or single lane roads.

But if I'm severely deprived of sleep the night before, not even few seconds of multiple sleep intervals will be able to recharge my sleepy head, like the other day, I gave up and turned back home.

Hey there,

You've got a point about the weight of the bike affecting lighter riders more. It's simple physics, really. When you're hauling around a loaded bike that's over a third of your body weight, it's bound to slow you down on those climbs. But hey, if you don't mind taking your time and riding solo, then that's all good in my book.

Now, about that adrenaline boost you mentioned. Yeah, it's true that riding at a slower pace might not give you that kick of energy like hauling ass down the trail does. But let me tell you, it's not just about the speed. It's about the experience. Taking in the views, feeling the wind against your face, and conquering those climbs no matter how long it takes. That's what keeps me feeling awake and alive out there.

And speaking of being awake and alert, I gotta say, it's crucial to be on your game when you're out riding alone. You never know what obstacles might pop up, and you gotta be ready to react. So, if you ever start feeling sleepy, my advice is to take a break, grab a snack, and maybe even splash some cold water on your face. Trust me, it helps.

Anyway, keep on enjoying those solo rides and taking in the beauty of the trails. Just make sure you're prepared and know your limits out there. Happy riding!

Cheers,
TrailTracker

I felt like I may have fallen asleep on a ride: sunny day, warm with a light breeze, on my recumbent, power assist 1, well within my comfort zone, meditative, awoken abruptly upon acknowledgement of the STOP sign.

Hey there,

Wow, falling asleep on a ride can definitely be a surprising experience! It sounds like you were enjoying a nice, relaxing ride on your recumbent bike. The sunny day, warm weather, and gentle breeze all seem like perfect conditions for a peaceful and meditative ride.

However, it's important to stay alert and aware of your surroundings, especially when you're riding alone. That abrupt awakening when you noticed the STOP sign is quite a jolt! It's great that you were able to react quickly and acknowledge the sign in time.

To stay awake and focused during your rides, it might help to incorporate some techniques to keep your mind active and engaged. One idea is to listen to upbeat music or an interesting podcast to help keep