Falling into Taylor Creek, Toronto

mark1954

Oct 30, 2005
I just got back from a ride in Taylor Creek Park in Toronto. If you're familiar with it you know there are a few shallow 'river' crossings on the trail and signs posted saying 'Danger! Use the Bridge'. Well I've ignored those signs for years. The 'river' bottom is a smoothly paved sidewalk kind of a thing and there's only a couple of inches of water on it anyways. This time something in the water grabbed my front wheel and before I knew it I was sliding on my side in the wet stinking gravel. I guess from now on I will heed the signs.
As a side observation this is the second fall I've had with SPD pedals which I got this past spring. There was no time to react on this fall so no chance to get my feet loose. So the bruises I've gotten both times are along the side of my calf and hip. And my ego.

While riding my mountain bike down a MUT I had never been on, I came to a path closed and under construction sign. Just beyond was an underpass where the trail went under a major street. The path in the under pass was underwater, like the drain was not working and water had collected there. No problem. It didn't look very deep. I started through, the water was halfway up to my hubs, until the middle. That's when I fell into a a hole that was about three feet deep.

mark1954 said:
This time something in the water grabbed my front wheel and before I knew it I was sliding on my side in the wet stinking gravel.

There have been several sightings of saltwater crocs in that area. You are lucky to have escaped with your life!!! I took this picture two weeks ago while passing over that vary bridge. It is thought that the crocs were released by someone who couldn't or didn't want to handle them any longer.

cr22.jpg

Heh, I know exactly what you're talking about. I too always take the "Danger" path. It's only a few centimeters of water. But after reading your fiasco I'll consider taking the bridge next time. :p

Tony

bigtony22127 said:
Heh, I know exactly what you're talking about. I too always take the "Danger" path. It's only a few centimeters of water. But after reading your fiasco I'll consider taking the bridge next time. :p

Tony
I just read in the Globe that Taylor Creek has the highest e.coli count of all the creeks in the park system. Seems that high rise apartments all along it have connected their sanitary drains to rainwater drains so that raw sewage goes straight into the creek. And there I was, thinking I was smart, washing off the mud and blood in the creek. Yecchh!

mark1954 said:
I just read in the Globe that Taylor Creek has the highest e.coli count of all the creeks in the park system. Seems that high rise apartments all along it have connected their sanitary drains to rainwater drains so that raw sewage goes straight into the creek. And there I was, thinking I was smart, washing off the mud and blood in the creek. Yecchh!
:eek: I rode through this during last year's flood!:eek: