False Readings from wireless computers

bikerboy59

Nov 19, 2005
I have a polar 720i and constantly get false information like extra miles or not enough miles. This I know because I also have a wired computer on the bike after i had discovered that i was getting false readings. I had actually driven the route i rode my bike on and the polar 720i gat me 15 more miles than i really did. The numbers for tire size are the same on both units. I was wondering if any one else has had similar troubles and found out a solution to it??? I just do not trust it anymore.:confused:

I don't have that model, but have various polar, timex, garmin, and cateye wireless do-dads and experience with said. My advice is to get a new battery in there. Distance is a pretty simple signal - one 'tick' per rev. Polar watches are usually bullet proof and resistant to RF interference.

bikerboy59 said:
I have a polar 720i and constantly get false information like extra miles or not enough miles. This I know because I also have a wired computer on the bike after i had discovered that i was getting false readings. I had actually driven the route i rode my bike on and the polar 720i gat me 15 more miles than i really did. The numbers for tire size are the same on both units. I was wondering if any one else has had similar troubles and found out a solution to it??? I just do not trust it anymore.:confused:
Spent lots of money over the years on wireless with very little reliability. My last one was a VDO C-4 DS wireless bought six months ago. I threw it in the garbage along with the cateye wireless. For me, wireless cant be trusted.

My latest computer is a Blackburn Delphi w/cadence. All wired and soooo much better.

That is what I thought after a full season of riding with both computers and having different readings. I had a heart bypass in 2002 also and that is the reason i purchased the 720i. i wanted to know everything i could about my ride when i finished but with the false readings it can not be trusted.I looked alittle deeper into the Polar wireless stuff and there is a list a mile long of stuff that will interfer with the readings, for example cars now can you beat that.:eek: Cars will or can cause you to get false readings. i guess i must ride in the desert then to be accurate.

Does anyone make a good wired unit still, HRM, Cadance, all wired? :)

bikerboy59 said:
That is what I thought after a full season of riding with both computers and having different readings. I had a heart bypass in 2002 also and that is the reason i purchased the 720i. i wanted to know everything i could about my ride when i finished but with the false readings it can not be trusted.I looked alittle deeper into the Polar wireless stuff and there is a list a mile long of stuff that will interfer with the readings, for example cars now can you beat that.:eek: Cars will or can cause you to get false readings. i guess i must ride in the desert then to be accurate.

Garmin makes a very reliable wireless unit. You may want to check it out. It is pricey, but it will give you every imaginable readout and it includes GPS.

If you want a wired unit with Cadence, Cateye has a model that I understand to be reliable.