Fame at last! [warning: contains 5m*th]

"Jon Senior" <jon@restless_REMOVE_lemon.co.uk> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

> I would advocate a number of changes to driving law in
> this country (I can bore people with the details if
> requested) but one thing I would suggest is; modifications
> to the cameras to make them record drivers who drive
> within 2 seconds of the leading vehicle at speeds over
> (For example) 40mph.

Well, that would remove most drivers from the road at a
stroke. Can you imagine the M25 if everyone drove at a safe
and correct distance? The number of vehicles that use it now
simply wouldn't all fit on.
:)

--
Dave...

in message <[email protected]>, Jon Senior
('jon@restless_REMOVE_lemon.co.uk') wrote:

> The crash (if it happens) consists of two drivers: The one
> who was travelling too fast and brakes sharply, and the
> one who was travelling too fast and too close to the other
> car. Of the two, the latter is the problem.

Frankly, they're both 'the problem'. We'd all be better off
if neither of them had driving licences any more, or could
afford insurance. I applaud your idea of having cameras to
catch people who drive too close
- excellent suggestion - but frankly if 'drives too close'
does shunt into the back of 'brakes fiercely for cameras'
this is Darwinism in action and no bad thing. With modern
cars they're unlikely to kill one another, but their
insurance premiums will skyrocket, and hopefully this may
price them off the road.

--
[email protected] (Simon Brooke)
http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon/

;; Usenet: like distance learning without the
learning.

David Hansen <[email protected]> writes:

>On Tue, 16 Mar 2004 21:36:09 +0000 someone who may be "Just
>zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote this:-

>><url:http://www.safespeed.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.ph-
>>p?t=110>
>>
>>For those who read it,

>I have not done so.

>Have they started the death threats yet. It is only
>when the death threats start that one knows one is
>having an impact.

I'm sure you sometimes ride in urban traffic :)

[http://www.dai.ed.ac.uk/homes/cam/]

> in message <[email protected]>, Jon
> Senior ('jon@restless_REMOVE_lemon.co.uk') wrote:
>
> > The crash (if it happens) consists of two drivers: The
> > one who was travelling too fast and brakes sharply, and
> > the one who was travelling too fast and too close to the
> > other car. Of the two, the latter is the problem.
>
> Frankly, they're both 'the problem'.

Perhaps, but the driver in front could have had a real
reason to brake.

> The crash (if it happens) consists of two drivers: The one
> who was travelling too fast and brakes sharply, and the
> one who was travelling too fast and too close to the other
> car. Of the two, the latter is the problem.

I've always been sceptical about this - braking from say, 85
down to seventy in a short space of time surely won't cause
problems for the twit following unless he's right on your
bumper. I quite agree that in every case of a rear end shunt
it's the one at the back with the problem. However, the
major reason for driving to closely is that it only takes
1.3 seconds to say 'only a fool breaks the two second rule'.

"Dave Kahn" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> > I would advocate a number of changes to driving law in
> > this country (I
can
> > bore people with the details if requested) but one thing
> > I would suggest is; modifications to the cameras to make
> > them record drivers who drive within 2 seconds of the
> > leading vehicle at speeds over (For example)
40mph.

> Well, that would remove most drivers from the road at a
> stroke. Can you imagine the M25 if everyone drove at a
> safe and correct distance? The number of vehicles that use
> it now simply wouldn't all fit on.

That's what the VSL is for...

--
Guy
===

88% of helmet statistics are made up, 65% of them at
Washington University

In article <[email protected]>,
Dave Kahn <[email protected]> wrote:
> Well, that would remove most drivers from the road at a
> stroke. Can you imagine the M25 if everyone drove at a
> safe and correct distance? The number of vehicles that use
> it now simply wouldn't all fit on.

They would if their speed was correct. Hence, indeed, the
Variable Speed Limit. There's a OU programme that I saw some
years ago which models the speed at which throughput is
optimal: it's quite low.

ian

"Ian G Batten" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> There's a OU programme that I saw some years ago which
> models the speed at which throughput is optimal: it's
> quite low.

ISTR about 50-55mph, but I'd like to track downb the
original source.

--
Guy
===
posting. http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

88% of helmet statistics are made up, 65% of them at
Washington University

news:[email protected]...
> "Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]>
> wrote in message news:[email protected]
> berlin.de...
> > "Ian G Batten" <[email protected]> wrote in
> > message news:[email protected]...
> >
> > > There's a OU programme that I saw some years ago
> > > which models the speed at which throughput is
> > > optimal: it's quite low.

I bet that was rather duff mathematical modelling that gives
you 18mph. The assumptions and observations that give you
the real answer are far more complicated.

> > ISTR about 50-55mph, but I'd like to track downb the
> > original source.
>
> ISTR 18mph...

If you use the precise figures from the stopping distance
table, yes.

If you find the actual spacings that people can actually use
safely (but would hit the car in front if somehow it stopped
instantly ... not a likely scenario), its about 50.

"Mark Thompson" <[email protected] (change warm for hot)>
> I've always been sceptical about this - braking from say,
> 85 down to
seventy in
> a short space of time surely won't cause problems for the
> twit following
unless
> he's right on your bumper.

The twit frequently is! Regardless, the effect is to make
him brake hard, and unless he's clocked the reason in the
first place, he will undoubtedly brake harder. Assuming no
collisions, the other effect of this is to reduce the speed
of any following vehicles. This effect is well known and can
usually be witnessed in slow-moving traffic. A car braking
ahead, can result in stationary traffic behind. The effect
is minimised by maintaining a safe distance.

> I quite agree that in every case of a rear end shunt it's
> the one at the back with the problem. However, the major
> reason for driving to closely is that it only takes 1.3
> seconds to say 'only a fool
breaks
> the two second rule'.

Agreed. I was never taught that by my instructor who instead
suggested a more musical "one-and-two-and-three" where "one"
is as the vehicle in front passes some marker by the side of
the road. It does rely on good timing, but it forces you to
be more aware of it.

A clamp-down on drivers who drive too close to the vehicle
in front, rather than those who drive within the
capabilities of the road, and their cars might be more
effective in reducing accidents on trunk roads.

Jon

---
virus system (http://www.grisoft.com). Version: 6.0.624 /
Virus Database: 401 - Release Date: 15/03/2004

"Jon Senior" <jon_AT_restlesslemon.co.uk> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> > I've always been sceptical about this - braking from
> > say, 85 down to
> seventy in
> > a short space of time surely won't cause problems for
> > the twit following
> unless
> > he's right on your bumper.

> The twit frequently is! Regardless, the effect is to make
> him brake hard, and unless he's clocked the reason in the
> first place, he will undoubtedly brake harder.

Solution: ease off the throttle until either the twit drops
back or you are going slow enough for his ludicrous
following distance to be safe. As recoemmended in loads of
places by loads of driving experts.

> A clamp-down on drivers who drive too close to the vehicle
> in front,
rather
> than those who drive within the capabilities of the road,
> and their cars might be more effective in reducing
> accidents on trunk roads.

Why either / or? And why make excuses for speeding in this
way? The "capabilities of the road" take no account of those
who might be incapable of or unwilling to drive in excess of
the posted limit; it also takes no account of vulnerable
road users who might be travelling at substantially less
than the limit. Limits exist as a recognition of the fact
that drivers, left to their own devices, do not choose safe
speeds. Most drivers overestimate their own skill.

--
Guy
===
posting. http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

88% of helmet statistics are made up, 65% of them at
Washington University

"W K" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> If you find the actual spacings that people can actually
> use safely (but would hit the car in front if somehow it
> stopped instantly ... not a
likely
> scenario), its about 50.

Around the same speed at which most modern cars are most
efficient (56mph seems to be the norm, just over minimum
revs, maximum gear). Seems like a good incentive to follow
it. I've seen the system used in France (where they do seem
to follow it properly) and it does work well for clearing
congestion.

Jon

---
virus system (http://www.grisoft.com). Version: 6.0.624 /
Virus Database: 401 - Release Date: 15/03/2004

> Solution: ease off the throttle until either the twit
> drops back or you
are
> going slow enough for his ludicrous following distance to
> be safe. As recoemmended in loads of places by loads of
> driving experts.

And one I frequently use. I was referring to the situation
that I originally described regarding speed cameras.

> Why either / or? And why make excuses for speeding in
> this way?

Because one addresses the main cause of accidents while the
other addresses a minor accessory to the former. Out of
interest, do you think that the current limits are
appropriate?

> The "capabilities of the road" take no account of those
> who might be
incapable
> of or unwilling to drive in excess of the posted limit;

What speed would these people drive at if the posted limit
was removed? What difference does it make to them what the
limit is? I have not suggested a compulsory minimum speed,
just the removal of the maximum one. That way you can drive
however fast (Or slowly) you like.

> it also takes no account of vulnerable road users who
> might be travelling
at substantially
> less than the limit.

Vunerable in the sense of a cyclist? I'm talking about major
trunk roads (Motorways predominantly). Not really somewhere
you should be on a bike anyway.

> Limits exist as a recognition of the fact that drivers,
> left to their own devices, do not choose safe speeds. Most
drivers
> overestimate their own skill.

Then the problem is with the drivers. One of my other
"ideas" was to offer tax incentives (fuel perhaps) to
driving instructors to reduce their fees, allowing learners
to gain more driving experience before sitting their tests.
I would also consider that teaching (Hands on) skid control
should be compulsory. Drivers should be made aware of their
skill, not told that "speed = bad". As with the shock
campains aimed at reducing drug take-up in the young, it
only serves to make the state seem unreliable with
information. If the limits exist to counter a different
problem in driving, namely driver awareness, then surely the
obvious solution is to ban public driving licences, and make
commercial vehicles the only ones allowed on the roads!

Most of the advanced driving "skills" that I have, I learnt
through trial (and thankfully not much error) after taking
my test. Cornering hard on open country roads taught me what
it feels like when the car is near to losing traction. I am
aware of how to remain in control of a vehicle that has
begun to skid because I drove a 3.5T van on black ice on the
motorway. These skills should not be things I have to learn
later, they should be taught. A more skilled driving
community would be a better idea than an un-skilled one that
is more scared of being caught going too fast, than of
losing control of their vehicle.

Just my tuppence on the matter.

Jon

---
virus system (http://www.grisoft.com). Version: 6.0.624 /
Virus Database: 401 - Release Date: 15/03/2004

"Just zis Guy, you know?" wrote
> Solution: ease off the throttle until either the twit
> drops back or you
are
> going slow enough for his ludicrous following distance to
> be safe. As recoemmended in loads of places by loads of
> driving experts.
>
> Guy

If the twit's following distance is truly ludicrous, you
could find yourself travelling *very* slowly. Solution:
conditions permitting, move over, let the twit pass, and let
someone else worry about him.
--
mark

"Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> "Dave Kahn" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...

> > Can you imagine the M25 if everyone drove at a safe and
> > correct distance? The number of vehicles that use it now
> > simply wouldn't all fit on.
>
> That's what the VSL is for...

My understanding, which may be wrong, is that the VSL aims
to keep the traffic flowing by reducing the ripple wave
effect when a vehicle slows momentarily. It seems to do
this quite successfully - not perfectly because many
drivers still exceed the posted speeds where they can, and
also dive from lane to lane to try to gain an advantage.
Even at 40 mph most traffic is still following far too
close for safety.

--
Dave...

"Jon Senior" <jon_AT_restlesslemon.co.uk> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "W K" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > If you find the actual spacings that people can actually
> > use safely (but would hit the car in front if somehow it
> > stopped instantly ... not a
> likely
> > scenario), its about 50.
>
> Around the same speed at which most modern cars are most
> efficient (56mph seems to be the norm, just over minimum
> revs, maximum gear). Seems like a good incentive to
> follow it.

I'm with you so far, and the M6 in staffs etc. seems to slow
naturally as if there was a VSL.

> I've seen the system used in France (where they do seem to
> follow it properly) and it does work well for clearing
> congestion.

< eyebrows raised to ceiling >

I have a lot of experience of driving round paris ... idiots
with feet to the floor on brakes or accellerators at all
times! Where do you see this? I am surprised you find them
to be a good example.

On Thu, 18 Mar 2004 16:30:08 -0000, "Jon Senior"
<[email protected]>:

>> Solution: ease off the throttle until either the twit
>> drops back or you are going slow enough for his ludicrous
>> following distance to be safe.

>And one I frequently use. I was referring to the situation
>that I originally described regarding speed cameras.

Point remains: the problem is not the speed camera, but a
bad driver. Bad drivers are bad drivers whatever goes on
around them.

>> Why either / or? And why make excuses for speeding in
>> this way?

>Because one addresses the main cause of accidents while the
>other addresses a minor accessory to the former. Out of
>interest, do you think that the current limits are
>appropriate?

The major part of the problem is the underlying mindset,
which leads to speeding and to a range of other
undesirable behaviours. The idea that the set of drivers
who speed is different from the set of dangerous drivers
is seductive of course - most drivers speed, after all,
and who wants to be though of as a dangerous driver? but
there is a signifcant correlation between speeding
convictionas and crash involvement, and between speeding
and other traffic offences.

Speeding is easily detected automatically, which is a plus
because the Police performance criteria discourage forces
from resourcing traffic divisions, so having part of the job
done by self-funding machines is at least allowing the
traffic plod to do the work which requires judgement.

Do I thnk all limits are appropriate? Not really, but a
surprising nuber of "inappropriate" limits turn out to be
appropriate when you look in detail at the road. Many of
them are the result of changes to the criteria allowing
councils to apply more limits; a lot of these roads should
have had limits years ago but couldn't because the old
criteria were too rigid. In some cases the number of
fatalities was just below the required levels, or the
community through which the road ran had been effectively
excluded by the speed of through traffic. In some cases
councils have been over zealous in applying limits, but that
is a matter for the local electorate. They can vote in a
council which changes that.

There is a false claim made in opposition to reduced limits:
that if the road was "safe" yesterday at 60mph, it cannot
now be "dangerous" to exceed 40mph (or whatever). This
denies the fundamental truth that on any given road,
reducing the average speed reduces both the number and the
severity of crashes. Probability of death rises with the
fourth power of average speed on a road, an inconvenient
fact which the ABD and it's fellow-travellers are less than
keen to publicise. No road is "safe" at 60mph or at any
other speed, the speed limit is an indication of the level
of risk which society is prepared for motor traffic to
impose on other users of any particular stretch of road. If
society decides, through whatever process, that the level of
tolerable risk should be reduced, so be it. We all have a
vote. Which, experience shows, we use to support those who
reduce the speed around our homes, our schools and our
communities, while railing against those who try to reduce
speeds around other homes, schools and communities. Funny
old world.

In any case I believe that, like cameras, the level of
bleating from the poor downtrodden[1] motorists - who only
kill and injure a few hundreds of thousands a year after all
- will surely result in the return of the old "blood on the
streets" criteria before long. We are all motorists now,
after all. Except the poor, children, the elderly and the
disabled, obviously.

>> The "capabilities of the road" take no account of those
>> who might be incapable of or unwilling to drive in excess
>> of the posted limit;

>What speed would these people drive at if the posted limit
>was removed? What difference does it make to them what the
>limit is? I have not suggested a compulsory minimum speed,
>just the removal of the maximum one. That way you can drive
>however fast (Or slowly) you like.

That would be profoundly dangerous. As previously noted
drivers routinely overestimate their own skill, and in any
case most drivers assess "risk" primarily in terms of risk
to them, coccooned in their increasingly crashworthy tin
boxes. What of the danger to others? Britain's reputation
for road "safety" has been largely at the expense of scaring
the vulnerable off the roads. In 1971, 80% of seven- and eight-year-
old children went to school on their own, by 1990 only 9%
were making the journey unaccompanied, and the dcline
continued through the 90s. The major reasons cited are
traffic danger and "stranger danger". But of course
"stranger danger" is magnified when children are isolated -
in other words, the inexorable move towards car transport to
school has multiplied both problems (even allowing for the
obvious fact that the "stranger danger" issue is grossly
exaggerated). Is that an improvement, do you think? The road
"safety" lobby portrays it as such.

>> it also takes no account of vulnerable road users who
>> might be travelling at substantially less than the limit.

>Vunerable in the sense of a cyclist? I'm talking about
>major trunk roads (Motorways predominantly). Not really
>somewhere you should be on a bike anyway.

We have a right to use every road from which we are not
specifically excluded, which mainly means motorways. I often
ride on trunk roads, and I don't time trial. Time triallists
do much of their riding on trunk roads. And what consititues
a trunk road? A cross-country A road, being the only
significant road linking two adjacent towns? Many drivers
seem to want to treat country A roads a their personal
racetracks, despite the fact that cyclists, tractors, horse
riders and pedestrians are all to be found on these roads.
Again, the fewer of us there are, the greater the danger,
because drivers won't be expecting us.

In any case you can't consider one part of the road network
in isolation. You could suggest, I suppose, removing limits
solely for motorways - I would say that would be unwise.
They are one of the few parts of the road network where the
fatality rate is currently increasing (although this is
obviously impossible in SmithWorld[tm] because motorways
have very few death cameras, so the DfT must be lying; I
wonder if 5m*th and Mike Corley are related?). In Germany
the unlimited autobahns appear to have worse crash records
than our motorways, despite manifestly better standards of
lane discipline and other driving skills.

>> Limits exist as a recognition of the fact that drivers,
>> left to their own devices, do not choose safe speeds.
>> Most drivers overestimate their own skill.

>Then the problem is with the drivers.

And always has been. Hence the existence of the Road Traffic
Regulation Act and its many siblings.

>One of my other "ideas" was to offer tax incentives (fuel
>perhaps) to driving instructors to reduce their fees,
>allowing learners to gain more driving experience before
>sitting their tests.

I would suggest that would be pointless, because at the
moment the test is fundamentally designed to let as many
people pass as possible; until it is changed to something
which is actually difficult to pass, and until those who
fail repeatedly are required to demonstrate more than token
competence before being trusted with a licence, any other
measures are a waste of time.

>I would also consider that teaching (Hands on) skid control
>should be compulsory. Drivers should be made aware of their
>skill, not told that "speed = bad". As with the shock
>campains aimed at reducing drug take-up in the young, it
>only serves to make the state seem unreliable with
>information.

No, what makes the state seem unreliable is those
organisations with a vested interest in speeding, and their
friends in the press, pretending that speed is *not*
dangerous, when it is very apparent that not only is
excessive speed a cause of a third of crashes, it is also
the prime determinant of severity of outcome of crashes. And
yes, the speedophiles love to pretend that speeding is not
necessarily excessive speed. They are wrong there, as well,
by the timeyou are in the Gatso zone you are getting on for
twice as likely to crash, depending on road type. Again, the
correlation between crashing and speeding convictions
confirms that it is they who are wrong.

>If the limits exist to counter a different problem in
>driving, namely driver awareness, then surely the obvious
>solution is to ban public driving licences, and make
>commercial vehicles the only ones allowed on the roads!

No, the limits are there to counteract the fundamental
problem thet all the benefit of speed accrues to the driver
and most of the risk is offloaded on others.

>Most of the advanced driving "skills" that I have, I learnt
>through trial (and thankfully not much error) after taking
>my test. Cornering hard on open country roads taught me
>what it feels like when the car is near to losing traction.

Not something that should be learned on the public roads,
whatever the courts may think. Or was it "unintentional
accelerator syndrome?" Or "driving like a ******" as it is
more often known. No, not you, a recent incident involving a
driver discovering the limits of traction of his BMW to the
(fatal) detriment of bystanders.

[1] downtrodden in the sense that motoring duty
revenues are now approaching the costs of private
motoring to society, heralding the end of a century
of concealed subsidies

--
Guy
===
posting. http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

88% of helmet statistics are made up, 65% of them at
Washington University

On Thu, 18 Mar 2004 17:34:40 GMT, "mark" <[email protected]> wrote
in message <Q4l6c.27676$%[email protected]>:

>If the twit's following distance is truly ludicrous, you
>could find yourself travelling *very* slowly. Solution:
>conditions permitting, move over, let the twit pass, and
>let someone else worry about him.

If there is somewhere to go, yes. But I am always reluctant
to give in to bullies: they think it validates their
behaviour.

--
Guy
===
posting. http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

88% of helmet statistics are made up, 65% of them at
Washington University

Wow. You're really hot on this one!

> Point remains: the problem is not the speed camera, but a
> bad driver. Bad drivers are bad drivers whatever goes on
> around them.

Not denying it. Does an arbitrary (or otherwise) limit make
a bad driver into a good driver? I drive at what my
experience has shown to be a "safe" speed for the
conditions. Principly this involves maintaining high
visibility (dropping back to clear my forward view) and
ensuring I have ample room to stop safely. If a large tree
landed in my path within my stopping distance I'd be screwed
whether I was doing 70 or 80.

> The major part of the problem is the underlying mindset,
> which leads to speeding and to a range of other
> undesirable behaviours.

Personal opinion of course but I would consider speeding to
be the lesser of the many other undesirables such as driving
too close to other vehicles, overtaking on blind bends,
holding a mobile phone while trying to negociate city centre
one-way systems!

> The idea that the set of drivers who speed is different
> from the set of dangerous drivers is seductive of course -
> most drivers speed, after all, and who wants to be though
> of as a dangerous driver? but there is a signifcant
> correlation between speeding convictionas and crash
> involvement, and between speeding and other traffic
> offences.

There is also (I believe) a significant correlation between
all traffic offenses and being male and under 25. I believe
that this category holds the record for accidents. This is
not because they slow down once they reach 25. It's because
they don't know how to drive a car. They were taught to pass
a test, nothing more.

> Speeding is easily detected automatically, which is a plus
> because the Police performance criteria discourage forces
> from resourcing traffic divisions, so having part of the
> job done by self-funding machines is at least allowing the
> traffic plod to do the work which requires judgement.

Self-funding? I don't remember the exact figures, but I
seem to recall that they were doing slightly better than
self-funding.

> Do I thnk all limits are appropriate? Not really, but a
> surprising nuber of "inappropriate" limits turn out to be
> appropriate when you look in detail at the road. Many of
> them are the result of changes to the criteria allowing
> councils to apply more limits; a lot of these roads should
> have had limits years ago but couldn't because the old
> criteria were too rigid. In some cases the number of
> fatalities was just below the required levels, or the
> community through which the road ran had been effectively
> excluded by the speed of through traffic. In some cases
> councils have been over zealous in applying limits, but
> that is a matter for the local electorate. They can vote
> in a council which changes that.

I was actually thinking of limits being too great. If
everyone drove at no faster than 20mph on any road
(enforced!) then the number of accidents would probably
almost zero. "Appropriate" is a balance between safety and
practicality. When the 70mph limit was introduced, the road
quality and vehicle quality dictated this. Both factors have
(largely) improved.

> There is a false claim made in opposition to reduced
> limits: that if the road was "safe" yesterday at 60mph, it
> cannot now be "dangerous" to exceed 40mph (or whatever).

Definately daft. A reduced limit implies that the original
limit has been rethought in light of new evidence.

> This denies the fundamental truth that on any given road,
> reducing the average speed reduces both the number and the
> severity of crashes. Probability of death rises with the
> fourth power of average speed on a road, an inconvenient
> fact which the ABD and it's fellow-travellers are less
> than keen to publicise. No road is "safe" at 60mph or at
> any other speed, the speed limit is an indication of the
> level of risk which society is prepared for motor traffic
> to impose on other users of any particular stretch of
> road. If society decides, through whatever process, that
> the level of tolerable risk should be reduced, so be it.
> We all have a vote. Which, experience shows, we use to
> support those who reduce the speed around our homes, our
> schools and our communities, while railing against those
> who try to reduce speeds around other homes, schools and
> communities. Funny old world.

Popularly known as N.I.M.B.Y. Demonstrated frequently by
those who complain when a new railway line that they've been
wanting for some time is going to pass near their house.

> In any case I believe that, like cameras, the level of
> bleating from the poor downtrodden[1] motorists - who only
> kill and injure a few hundreds of thousands a year after
> all - will surely result in the return of the old "blood
> on the streets" criteria before long. We are all motorists
> now, after all. Except the poor, children, the elderly and
> the disabled, obviously.

By "pushing" the speed limits, I recently managed to cover
the journey from parents door to my door in less time than
the train I would normally have caught. This should be
infeasible. If it were rarely faster to make a journey by
car, I sizable number of current motorists would leave the
roads in favour of other transport.

> That would be profoundly dangerous. As previously noted
> drivers routinely overestimate their own skill, and in any
> case most drivers assess "risk" primarily in terms of risk
> to them, coccooned in their increasingly crashworthy tin
> boxes. What of the danger to others? Britain's reputation
> for road "safety" has been largely at the expense of
> scaring the vulnerable off the roads. In 1971, 80% of seven-
> and eight-year-old children went to school on their own,
> by 1990 only 9% were making the journey unaccompanied, and
> the dcline continued through the 90s. The major reasons
> cited are traffic danger and "stranger danger". But of
> course "stranger danger" is magnified when children are
> isolated - in other words, the inexorable move towards car
> transport to school has multiplied both problems (even
> allowing for the obvious fact that the "stranger danger"
> issue is grossly exaggerated). Is that an improvement, do
> you think? The road "safety" lobby portrays it as such.

No. It is not an improvement. The school in my parent's
village has an attendance of around 400. Most of these are
from the village itself with a maximum (estimated) of 100
coming from the two other villages it serves. A free (I
think) bus is run to take these children. Yet come 15:00,
the roads are filled with parked cars (Let's not mince words
here - they're all small buses!).

> >Vunerable in the sense of a cyclist? I'm talking about
> >major trunk roads (Motorways predominantly). Not really
> >somewhere you should be on a bike anyway.
>
> We have a right to use every road from which we are not
> specifically excluded, which mainly means motorways. I
> often ride on trunk roads, and I don't time trial. Time
> triallists do much of their riding on trunk roads. And
> what consititues a trunk road? A cross-country A road,
> being the only significant road linking two adjacent
> towns? Many drivers seem to want to treat country A roads
> a their personal racetracks, despite the fact that
> cyclists, tractors, horse riders and pedestrians are all
> to be found on these roads. Again, the fewer of us there
> are, the greater the danger, because drivers won't be
> expecting us.

Once again the problem is general driver attitude.
Increasing the number of non-motorised vehicles on the road
will make drivers more aware and (hopefully) more cautious.
I wouldn't suggest deregulation of minor country roads (single-
carriageway or less!) but only motorways or those roads
which are all but (Most stretches of the A1). I too still
ride on A roads, and occasionally (Where I have little
choice) I ride along dual carriageway, but even in Scotland
with it's 10-years-behind-the-times roads I can usually find
an alternative route which is more pleasant and safer.

> In any case you can't consider one part of the road
> network in isolation. You could suggest, I suppose,
> removing limits solely for motorways - I would say that
> would be unwise. They are one of the few parts of the road
> network where the fatality rate is currently increasing
> (although this is obviously impossible in SmithWorld[tm]
> because motorways have very few death cameras, so the DfT
> must be lying; I wonder if 5m*th and Mike Corley are
> related?). In Germany the unlimited autobahns appear to
> have worse crash records than our motorways, despite
> manifestly better standards of lane discipline and other
> driving skills.

Sadly I have not encountered this 5m*th. I take it he's fun?

> >One of my other "ideas" was to offer tax incentives (fuel
> >perhaps) to driving instructors to reduce their
fees,
> >allowing learners to gain more driving experience before
> >sitting their tests.
>
> I would suggest that would be pointless, because at the
> moment the test is fundamentally designed to let as many
> people pass as possible; until it is changed to something
> which is actually difficult to pass, and until those who
> fail repeatedly are required to demonstrate more than
> token competence before being trusted with a licence, any
> other measures are a waste of time.

I agree that the criteria are bad and do not reflect real
driving. This is why I advocated more hours with an
instructor including time in a skid pan and other "off-road"
practice to improve skills which should not be learnt on the
public roads.

> No, what makes the state seem unreliable is those
> organisations with a vested interest in speeding, and
> their friends in the press, pretending that speed is *not*
> dangerous, when it is very apparent that not only is
> excessive speed a cause of a third of crashes, it is also
> the prime determinant of severity of outcome of crashes.

Example: on the M8 (actually A8 at that point) there is an
enormous set of roadworks which currently includes narrow
lanes and contra-flows. The posted limit is 40. Where the
entry and exit points for the contra-flows occur the
"maximum speed" is 30 IIRC. When the roads are dry the S-
bend can easily be passed at 40, and a moderately skilled
driver could take it slightly faster in a good car. In a
laden (transit) van the maximum at which it is comfortable
is 35, the same van, unladen feels unsteady at that speed. A
large truck (7.5T or higher) would have stability problems
at speeds over 25mph. Exactly who or what is that speed
limit appropriate for? The same signs will be (and have
been) used on shallow contra-flows with good roads and
sharper ones with ramps and loose grit. This makes the state
seem unreliable.

> And yes, the speedophiles love to pretend that speeding is
> not necessarily excessive speed. They are wrong there, as
> well, by the timeyou are in the Gatso zone you are getting
> on for twice as likely to crash, depending on road type.
> Again, the correlation between crashing and speeding
> convictions confirms that it is they who are wrong.

Given your earlier (accurate) assertion that most drivers
speed, the final statement in that paragraph would imply
that most drivers crash. This doesn't currently seem to be
the case. You are drawing conclusions without all the facts
(As best as I can see!). What data do you have on age of
driver, experience of driving generally, experience of the
prevailing conditions, exact cause of crash etc? When both
sides of a debate start throwing stats around, it's
generally a good time to go back to the raw data.

> No, the limits are there to counteract the fundamental
> problem thet all the benefit of speed accrues to the
> driver and most of the risk is offloaded on others.

Ah. A socialist thing? Strange policy for a conservative
government (Followed by another with a red flag) to be
following!

> Not something that should be learned on the public roads,
> whatever the courts may think. Or was it "unintentional
> accelerator syndrome?" Or "driving like a ******" as it is
> more often known. No, not you, a recent incident involving
> a driver discovering the limits of traction of his BMW to
> the (fatal) detriment of bystanders.

I agree. I should not have learnt this on the public roads.
Large patches of deserted tarmac with safety barriers would
have made a better proving ground. I have been guilty of
"driving like a ******" from time-to-time. Less frequently
as I get older. As a consequence of some bad driving when
younger, I'm now very much aware of changes in traction when
driving and can (and do) compensate. I wouldn't dare to
suggest that this has subsequently saved my life or anyone
elses, but it has reduced the likelihood of an accident at
least once.

Britain does have a space problem which prevents us from
doing things like building a large (mostly private) road
network which (for a fee) allows drivers to rapidly traverse
the country. Or easily modifying our outdated rail network
to incorporate high speed trains. Which is the overall
problem. Just as it is difficult to view one part of the
road network in isolation, so it is difficult to view one
part of the transport network in isolation. There are a
great many things wrong with our transport network, and
lowering speed limits is not going to solve most of them.

Since most drivers will continue to speed regardless of the
limits, and the greatest safety issue is that of driver
capability and responsibility, a die-hard <inappropriate?>
adherance to a policy of increasing speed cameras will not
actually help matters. Until every inch of road is covered
by a camera, all you do is create points at which drivers
will take evasive action to avoid a perceived hazard. While
the drivers are in the wrong (In the eyes of the law), you
are not helping the problem.

If the only solution that you can find to the problems of
dangerous driving on our roads is to add more cameras, then
you have a long way to go before you'll solve the problem.
And you may make it worse in the meantime.

Jon

P.S. The use of the pronoun "you" was mostly intended to
mean the pro-camera lobby that I presume you side with.
I wasn't suggesting that you were going around putting
cameras in yourself... are you?