Fame at last! [warning: contains 5m*th]

> If you aren't engaging in criminal activity, you don't
> *need* to watch for cameras. If you are a criminal, then
> it's a fair cop, guv, isn't it?
>
> The solution is really amazingly simple. You don't
> habitually shoplift, I suppose, or break into your
> neighbours houses, do you? And before you start saying
> 'but speeding isn't really criminal', who kills more
> people every year, shoplifters or speeding motorists?

I appreciate that you won't yet have read my other recent

In addition to the list of things that I don't
habitually do:

Beastiality. Rape. Murder. Drugs. Jump off tall buildings.

I would continue to not do these things in the absence of a
law prohibiting them (As the last point demonstrates).

Speeding in urban areas, where visibility is poor and the
likelihood of there being pedestrians is high is dangerous
and likely to kill people. Speeding on a four lane motorway
with few bends, and excellent visibility, with an
exceptionally low likelihood of there being pedestrians is
not so dangerous. If you read my prior posts, it will become
apparent which of these scenarios I support.

Jon

On Sat, 20 Mar 2004 21:14:02 -0000, "Jon Senior"
<jon@restless_REMOVE_lemon.co.uk> wrote in message
<[email protected]>:

>I would continue to not do these things in the absence of a
>law prohibiting them (As the last point demonstrates).

So you'll only commit an offence when the consequences are
not obvious to you? Or are you happy to commit an offence
whose consequences you simply believe will not happen at
that point in time? Speeding is not a victimless crime,
there are plenty of victims. The problem most speedophiles
seem to have is in accepting that anything with a
probability of crashing less than 100% in every instance, is
dangerous.

--
Guy
===

88% of helmet statistics are made up, 65% of them at
Washington University

On Sat, 20 Mar 2004 21:16:48 -0000, "Jon Senior"
<[email protected]>:

>> No such implication exists in the statements you quote. I
>> can't recall having seen it said either.

>"The idea that the set of drivers who speed is different
>from the set of dangerous drivers is seductive of course".

You are conflating fast driving with speeding. The two
are separate. I can drive fast both legally and safely on
a motorway.

>To my mind that is an implication. To suggest that the
>idea is seductive, is to suggest (As I understood it) that
>it is false.

It is false. Speedophiles love to say "speeding doesn't
cause crashes, bad driving causes crashes" as if the two are
separate and the types of drivers who do both are also
separate. That is simply untrue. The evidence is that those
drivers who speed are more likely to be bad drivers.

>I admit that this may be seen as clutching at straws, but I
>didn't come up with the idea from nowhere.

Yes is is, and yes you did ;-)

--
Guy
===

Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
> On Thu, 18 Mar 2004 17:34:40 GMT, "mark"
> <[email protected]> wrote in message
> <Q4l6c.27676$%[email protected]>:
>>Solution: conditions permitting, move over, let the twit
>>pass, and let someone else worry about him.
>
> If there is somewhere to go, yes. But I am always
> reluctant to give in to bullies: they think it validates
> their behaviour.

I don't like giving in to bullies either, but I sometimes
let them pass where I wouldn't let more polite drivers past.

Why? Because if there's just a short space for them to get
past in, I'll only pull over if I'm reasonably sure they
will pass quickly, before I have to move out again.

Is this rewarding aggressive driving? Maybe, but it's also
only allowing overtaking if it won't delay me.

Colin McKenzie

"Gawnsoft" <[email protected]> wrote in
message news:[email protected]...
> My own experiences differ markedly.

As mentioned earlier. A1, A1(M), A14, M8. Predominantly,
although I've driven many other roads.

> The first routes with speed cameras were the western
> aproaches to London.
>
> The first week I commuted with cameras on, the flow-of-
> traffic speed had dropped by about 10mph from teh previous
> (i.e. non-camera) week.
>
> This did not creep back up over the following months.

I was referring to the behaviour of a single speeding driver
on noticing a camera. Slow down, pass through camera, speed
up to original speed. This is the behaviour I tend to see.

Jon

> The tube in London, though, is rather a special case - at
> peak hours a uniquely horrible form of transport, with
> degrees of overcrowding which would be very properly
> illegal if applied to animals.

As someone who has rarely used it during rush hour, I find
it infinitely preferable to buses.

> Still, I suspect you are right, for a lot of people. I
> know that when I used more regularly to work on customer
> sites, the moment I flopped into my car at the end of the
> day was the moment I started to relax. I was in my own
> space, my own territory, familiar and private. This is not
> wholly a good thing, I'll agree - the occasion on which I
> broke my back
<snip>

You may need to adjust the lumbar support of your seat. ;)
What happened?

More seriously, I tend to find the exertion of the ride home
to be a far greater relaxant than those days when I have to
take a van.

Jon

> >I'm sure you could skwiffle it so, depending on the
> >distribution, most drivers get above average.
>
> Quite possibly. But 85% of them? When the most clueless
> are excluded by reason of inability even to pass the test?

Quite, and I wouldn't argue against it. I just had a brief
touch of the u.r.c. pedantic bug. Oh, and was it a typo or
did the figures you(?) presented show other drivers as above
average too (> 2.5/5) ? If so then maybe they just simply
don't know what good driving is?

in message <[email protected]>, Jon Senior
('jon@restless_REMOVE_lemon.co.uk') wrote:

> "Simon Brooke" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:gmpti1-
> [email protected]...
>> The tube in London, though, is rather a special case - at
>> peak hours a uniquely horrible form of transport, with
>> degrees of overcrowding which would be very properly
>> illegal if applied to animals.
>
> As someone who has rarely used it during rush hour, I find
> it infinitely preferable to buses.
>
>> Still, I suspect you are right, for a lot of people. I
>> know that when I used more regularly to work on customer
>> sites, the moment I flopped into my car at the end of the
>> day was the moment I started to relax. I was in my own
>> space, my own territory, familiar and private. This is
>> not wholly a good thing, I'll agree - the occasion on
>> which I broke my back
> <snip>
>
> You may need to adjust the lumbar support of your seat. ;)
> What happened?

I was driving a Triumph Spitfire, which has a slightly
interesting rear axle anyway, and I had actually booked it
into the garage to have new rear shock absorbers fitted. I
*knew* the rear end was skittish. As I come home from
Glasgow there's a point where you come over the waterhead of
the southern uplands and can see right down the Glenkens to
the kill behind my house, about thirty miles away. I'd just
seen that and was thinking about what would be for supper
when the back of the car started to overtake the front. I
had actually straightened out the spin before I ran out of
tarmac... 720 degree roll over boulder-strewn moorland. The
rear axle was torn out of the car and the rear of the body
shell parted company with the tub. In casualty they picked
moss and grass out of my hair.

And even after that I would probably have been fine except
that I'm quite tall and to fit the roll over bar we'd had to
cut and weld the frame of my seat. I think what broke my
back was where we'd welded it. Mind you if we hadn't fitted
the roll-over bar I would have torn my head off so I'm not
complaining.

This is actually highly germane to this discussion. At the
time I was not intending to speed and had earlier been
keeping my speed to within speed limits. I was on a well
engineered road which I knew well. I was driving a car which
I knew well, and although I knew the back end had a
propensity to slide I believed I was skilled enough to
control that.

Looking at the crash scene some weeks afterwards - when I
was fit to sit in a car again, but long before I was fit to
drive one - I now believe that at the time of the impact I
must have been doing at least eighty miles an hour. The
distance between the rock that launched the car into the air
and the place where it impacted was quite sobering.

So I think a reasonable summary of the situation is a driver
rather overconfident of his ability, somewhat overtired and
briefly slightly distracted, increased speed and lost
control of the car.

Shame: it was a beautiful car. I loved it. And to have
wrecked it through sheer stupidity and carelessness... Not
to mention the little matter of my fifth thoracic vertebra,
which I have now not got.

--
[email protected] (Simon Brooke)
http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon/ ;; Generally Not Used ;;

in message <[email protected]>, Jon Senior
('jon@restless_REMOVE_lemon.co.uk') wrote:

> "david kenning" <[email protected]>
> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> Here's a thought: all motorists should re-take their test
>> every two
> years -
>> maybe make it a voluntary test because driving test
>> centres are already
> busy
>> enough, plus there are cost implications, and so on...
>
> This was an idea that I was going to suggest. Compulsory
> re-testing every X years. Probably 5 to reduce costs.

If the charge for the test covers the cost of the test, why
should this matter?

It might also be a good thing if, after holding a 'full'
license for five years, you were obliged to sit the
'advanced' test. All of us who've driven for any length of
time *ought* to be able to sail through the basic test;
we've got practice and experience on our side. It would be
better if people were encouraged not just to maintain their
level of skill but increase it.

--
[email protected] (Simon Brooke)
http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon/

;; When your hammer is C++, everything begins to
look like a thumb.

> So you'll only commit an offence when the consequences are
> not obvious to you? Or are you happy to commit an offence
> whose consequences you simply believe will not happen at
> that point in time? Speeding is not a victimless crime,
> there are plenty of victims.

Ignoring the breaking the law bit, the argument can be seen
as just different appreciations of risk. Every time we get
behind the wheel of a car there is a very small chance that
we will have an accident. We are happy to do this because we
believe that it will not happen at that point in time. If we
assume going ten miles an hour over the limit on a four lane
motorway in light traffic with good blah blah is less risky
than driving at or a bit below the limit in a built up area,
and we all drive at thirty or a bit below in built up areas
now with no feelings of guilt, it seems silly to criticise
someone else for doing something less risky than what you do
every day.

We could argue that he is unnecessarily increasing the risk
by driving faster, but following that to its logical
conclusion would mean all unnecessary car trips are wrong
and deserve criticism. Er, hang on, global warming an' all
that. b'ah I'm just confused now.

BenS wrote:

> On Sat, 20 Mar 2004 22:45:13 +0900, James Annan
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>I've heard that they are, but unless you are stupid enough
>>to get 12 within 3 years (IIRC) they are of no particular
>>consequence.
>

> If you happen the think that 25% loading on your insurance
> per 3 points is of no particular consequence.

Comparable consequence to the fine itself. If it mattered, I
could easily prevent it from happening, and I don't actually
go out of my way to collect points, but you can't pretend
they matter much one way or the other. If they did, people
wouldn't speed.

James

On Sun, 21 Mar 2004 00:15:02 -0000, "Jon Senior"
<[email protected]>:

>> So you'll only commit an offence when the consequences
>> are not obvious to you?

>As in "no forseeable consequences"? Yes. I act in
>accordance with the information I possess.

Given that there are a reported five million crashes in the
UK every year, leading to tens of thousands of serious
injuries and thousands of fatalities, the idea that crashing
is somehow unforeseeable is an interesting one.

>> Or are you happy to commit an offence whose consequences
>> you simply believe will not happen at that point in time?

>As in one in which there are no consequences? Yes.

So that's speedin out, then. The consequences are well
documented.

>> Speeding is not a victimless crime, there are plenty of
>> victims.

>There are no victims of speeding. There are victims of
>bad driving.

Speedophile myth no. 1. I refer the hon. genlteman to my
earlier answer: drivers with speeding convictions are more
likely to crash, and more likely to have convictions for
other offences. Speeding is a dangerous behaviour. Any
moving vehicle poses danger, and speeding increases that
danger above the level posed by an identical vehicle not
speeding. It is seductive to try to pretend that bad drivers
and speeding drivers are separate classes, but there is too
much evidence supporting overlap to be able to endorse that.

>pedestrian killed, who's life would have been saved by the
>driver obeying the speed limit (ie. 40 in a 30 zone) was
>killed by a bad driver.

A bad drivr speeding. To say otherwise is to imply that the
bad driver would both have hit and killed the pedestrian
had he not been speeding, when the evidence shows that at
slower speeds both the likelihood and severity of crashes
is reduced.

>> The problem most speedophiles seem to have is in
>> accepting that anything with a probability of crashing
>> less than 100% in every instance, is dangerous.

>It sounds profound, but I'm afraid I have no idea what you
>mean. Please elaborate.

It is pretty clear. And in fact you appear to show some
signs of the same delusion youself in some of what you have
posted in this thread. Just because you won't crash every
time you speed does not mean that speeding is not dangerous.

--
Guy
===
posting. http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

88% of helmet statistics are made up, 65% of them at
Washington University

On Sat, 20 Mar 2004 21:28:30 +0000, Colin McKenzie
<[email protected]>:

>> The stated aim of cameras is to nick people who speed.

>True. But the aim should be to persuade as many drivers as
>possible to comply with the speed limit everywhere.

That is the role of government, not the enforcement
machines. And government seems quite happy to play the
provisional RAC's bloody silly self-delusional games, at
least until after the election.

>After all, would the breathalyser have been counted a
>success if all it had done had been to increase the number
>of drink-driving convictions?

The breathalyser had its vociferous opponents as well, who
used many of the same arguments that modern-day
speedophiles use.

--
Guy
===
posting. http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

88% of helmet statistics are made up, 65% of them at
Washington University

On Sun, 21 Mar 2004 00:21:50 -0000, "Jon Senior"
<[email protected]>:

>> You are conflating fast driving with speeding. The two
>> are separate. I can drive fast both legally and safely on
>> a motorway.

>Speed has so far meant "to exceed the posted limit". Your
>statement used "speed".

You are arguing round in circles. Speeding increases risk.

>Bad driving does cause crashes. This does not mean the
>people who speed are bad drivers. Nor does it mean that bad
>drivers speed.

Once again: the set of bad drivers and the set of speeding
drivers overlaps to a remarkable degree. Not all speeding
drivers speed all the time, most will moderate their speed
much of the time. This conslcusion is inescapable from the
average speed data on British roads, and not all bad drivers
are uniformly bad. The fact remains that drivers with
speeding convictions are more likely to crash. I have said
before that I believe that speeding is an effect as much as
a cause, but that does not detract from the fact that
speeding increases risk: it is bad driving. It is also
legally defined as bad driving. Just because the risk is not
apparent to you at the time does not mean it doesn't exist.

>You have confirmed the implication that I thought was
>present, and you have just repeated it in a new form. You
>may not be stating it so simply but you do seem to believe
>that speeding = dangerous driving.

That wasn't what you said before. Of course I believe that
speeding is dangerous driving, that is no secret. It is
dangerous.

>OK. Just re-read the last few posts and I think the error
>here may be mine. I used "fast driving" as synonymous with
>speeding.

Just so.

--
Guy
===

On Sun, 21 Mar 2004 15:02:35 +0000, Jon Senior wrote:

>> So that's speedin out, then. The consequences are well
>> documented.
>
> If every time I went over the speed limit something bad
> happened you'd be right.

Sir,

you are a complete idiot and/or a troll.

A vast majority of the bullets shot by firearms all over the
world do not hit anybody; according to your reasoning (and I
use the term in the loosest possible way) we should all be
allowed to hose a crowded club with an M16. After all, if we
SHOULD actually hit someone, it's an "unforeseeable
consequence", isn't it?

Eugenio

--
A friend with weed is a friend indeed

"Eugenio Mastroviti" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:p[email protected]...
> Sir,
>
> you are a complete idiot and/or a troll.

A troll for sure. Except that unlike most, I stay around to
fight back afterwards!

> A vast majority of the bullets shot by firearms all over
> the world do not hit anybody; according to your reasoning
> (and I use the term in the loosest possible way) we should
> all be allowed to hose a crowded club with an M16. After
> all, if we SHOULD actually hit someone, it's an
> "unforeseeable consequence", isn't it?

In a word. No. When driving safely, the likelihood of being
involved in an accident is very low. The circumstances that
lead to an accident would be those which were unforeseeable.
When emptying the magazine of an M16 into a club (Presumably
towards the punters, rather than the ceiling) the likelihood
of hitting someone is very high. At what point did you feel
that this analogy would show anything useful?

If you wish to draw aspertions on my intelligence, then
please have the decency to put your arguments first and
demonstrate an "idiotic" response before name calling.

Love, hugs, and kisses.

Jon

On Sat, 20 Mar 2004 23:32:40 -0000, "Mark Thompson"
<[email protected] (change warm for hot)> wrote in
message <[email protected]>:

>Oh, and was it a typo or did the figures you(?)
>presented show other drivers as above average too (>
>2.5/5) ? If so then maybe they just simply don't know
>what good driving is?

The 1-5 scale means that the "average" average is perceived
to be 2.7, and the average of their own skills being
assessed a third higher. Or something. It's all in Death on
the Streets, as perviously mentioned, a polemical but very
well researched and persuasive book.

--
Guy
===

On Sun, 21 Mar 2004 15:31:44 +0000, Jon Senior wrote:

> In a word. No. When driving safely, the likelihood of
> being involved in an accident is very low.

But when driving safely, you are NOT speeding, now are you?
Unless there is a new, unheard-of definition of "safe" which
says "Whatever Jon Senior decides is safe".

> The circumstances that lead to an accident would be those
> which were unforeseeable. When emptying the magazine of an
> M16 into a club (Presumably towards the punters, rather
> than the ceiling) the likelihood of hitting someone is
> very high. At what point did you feel that this analogy
> would show anything useful?

Uh, so it's perfectly legal to shoot it at the ceiling,
isn't it? And what about emptying the magazine against your
front door, in the firm personal conviction that nobody is
standing behind it? I mean, it's a bit like speeding, isn't
it? Nothing's going to happen, and if it does it's an
unforeseeable consequence - I had decided not to foresee it.

> If you wish to draw aspertions on my intelligence, then
> please have the decency to put your arguments first and
> demonstrate an "idiotic" response before name calling.

why?

--
The nice thing about Windows is - It does not just crash, it
displays a dialog box and lets you press 'OK' first.

<[email protected]>:

>> Given that there are a reported five million crashes in
>> the UK every year, leading to tens of thousands of
>> serious injuries and thousands of fatalities, the idea
>> that crashing is somehow unforeseeable is an
>> interesting one.

>If it is truely foreseeable then we must presume that
>everyone involved in a crash knew that they would crash and
>took no action.

Nope. It is just an example of mass self-delusion. No
driver, if they actually think about it, can be unaware of
the connection between taking risks and crashing;
inaccurate perception of the level of risk is of course a
major problem.

>> >As in one in which there are no consequences? Yes.
>> So that's speedin out, then. The consequences are well
>> documented.
>If every time I went over the speed limit something bad
>happened you'd be right.

Clearly you are determined not to get the point. ALl
driving brings risk, speeding increases the risk. The
inability to accept that risk exists below the level of
virtual certainty of crashing is common in speedophiles and
their apologists, but most of us here have little
difficulty understanding the concept.

>And the danger posed by any vehicle is greater than
>the danger posed by the same vehicle travelling at a
>lesser speed.

Correct.

>All vehicles should therefore be stationary. The speed
>limit is not a magic number (As I'm sure you've mentioned).

The speed limit expresses numerically the level of risk
which society is prepared to allow motor traffic to impose
on a given section of road. This is a balance between
utility and convenience for the traffic, and the utility and
safety of other users of the road, and communities wthrough
which it passes.

>If a crime is not victimless, then for every instance of
>that crime, you must be able to find a victim.

Cobblers. You have said that in the case of fly-tipping the
victim is the abstract concept "environment". In the case of
speeding the victim is the abstract concept "society".
Individual cases have more easily identifiable victims, but
in the round what happens is that the overall level of risk
to society as a whole is increased.

>Who was the victim the last time I travelled at 80mph in
>70mph area? An increased risk does not constitute a victim.

An increased risk imposed on others does indeed constitute a
victim. The average level of harm is low, but the aggregate
is substantial.

>> It is seductive to try to pretend that bad drivers and
>> speeding drivers are separate classes, but there is
>> too much evidence supporting overlap to be able to
>> endorse that.

>Overlap meaning that they are the same? Or that some people
>are both while others are one, or the other (Or neither!)?

A meaningless distinction. People who speed enough to get
convictions are more likely to crahs, therefore speed
enforcement activity is inherently desirable.

>The fact that he was travelling at a speed at which he
>couldn't take appropriate action shows him to be a bad
>driver. This is a driver issue not a speeding issue.

Evasion. Had the bad driver not been speeding then the
likelihood and the consequences of the crash would both have
been reduced. In any case it is perfectly possible that the
pedestrian died solely because of the excess speed above the
limit, given the curve of fatality vs. speed in car v
pedestrian crashes.

>I wasn't being sarcastic Guy (Well, not much ;-) ), I
>genuinely don't understand what you mean, could you please
>elaborate?

I don't know how to make it any clearer. I can't see what
you don't understand.

>> Just because you won't crash every time you speed does
>> not mean that speeding is not dangerous.

>Just because I don't crash every time I drive does not mean
>that driving is not dangerous. Just because I don't get run
>over every time I cross a road, doesn't mean that crossing
>roads is not dangerous. There is an increased risk
>associated with travelling at higher speeds. If that risk
>is acknowledged and accounted for, then there is no
>difference from driving at a lower speed where the risks
>have been evaluated and compensated for.

That ignores the ever-present fact that the probability
of fatality in a crash rises with the fourth power of
speed. It is always possible to conceive of a crash
which is unavoidable, certainly on a road with numerous
other drivers.

This sounds to me like the traditional speedophile
hypothetical case based on the deserted motorway at 3am,
which ignores facts like: the number of speeding convictions
handed out on deserted motorways at 3am is negligible; the
distance you can see on main beam headlights is insufficient
to drive safely at much over 70mph; few motorways are ever
truly deserted even at 3am. And so on. Frankly I don't give
a toss if people drive like idiots on a road with no other
road users and kill themselves, but all too often they
assume that there are no other road users and are often
wrong. So give them a racetrack with a wall across it and
let them kill themselves that way, if they want.

--
Guy
===
posting. http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

88% of helmet statistics are made up, 65% of them at
Washington University

> >Oh, and was it a typo or did the figures you(?) presented
> >show other drivers
as
> >above average too (> 2.5/5) ? If so then maybe they just
> >simply don't know
what
> >good driving is?
>
> The 1-5 scale means that the "average" average is
> perceived to be 2.7,

Wouldn't the average on an scale of 1-5 be 2.5, or hang on,
erm, yeah I think I've got it, but every time I start to
think about it my brain starts dribbling out.

---
virus system (http://www.grisoft.com). Version: 6.0.631 /
Virus Database: 404 - Release Date: 17/03/2004