Familiarity with Southwestern West Virginia?

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Jac, Jun 3, 2003.

  1. Jac

    Jac Guest

    I'll be running a marathon next week. According to the info on the web... "The race begins in
    Eastern Pike County, KY in a small area known as Goody, KY on the parking lot of one of our
    sponsors, Food City Food Stores. We run a scenic course that will surprise you. There is one hill
    between miles 6 & 7 while the rest of the course is flat to rolling and runs on the roads that
    follow the creeks and rivers. Both finish lines are in West Virginia. The half-marathon ends in
    historic Matewan, WV and the marathon in Williamson, WV at the World Famous Coal House. " Marathon
    directors are notorious for underplaying the difficulties of their courses. Is anyone familiar with
    this area? The Hatfeld-McCoy reunion festival also takes place at the same time. Anyone been there
    before? I'm heading back to Philadelphia after the race. Any suggestions for fun stop off places on
    the way back??

    Thanks to all in advance. John Clarke

    Tags:

  2. Freewheeling

    Freewheeling Guest

    On Tue, 3 Jun 2003 19:12:37 -0400, "JAC" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >The Hatfeld-McCoy reunion festival also takes place at the same time. Anyone been there before?
    >I'm heading back to Philadelphia after the race. Any suggestions for fun stop off places on the
    >way back??

    Well that sounds interesting. I haven't run a marathon in years. Maybe when I get into that Atkins
    diet... My knees can't take it any more. I have rowed a few marathons though, and the level of
    exhaustion as well as the times are quite similar. Rowing is a little faster (about 3:20), probably
    because there are no hills.

    WV is beautiful. Hope you have a great run.

    --Scott

  3. Scott, Atkins eh! I tried it for a month felt good and was not snack hungry at all. I lost weight,
    wife didn't. So she is on a different diet and losing weight and I'm gaining. SW WV is a nice
    place to ride. I have not been thru there in years. I do have some stories about the locals
    reaction to oddly dressed yankees riding bikes in padded wool shorts. Some funny some not. I play
    gituar, some bluegrass, its a friend making ability in that part of the country 20 years ago I
    imagain it still is.
    Inc 1-800-586-6645 "Freewheeling" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > On Tue, 3 Jun 2003 19:12:37 -0400, "JAC" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >The Hatfeld-McCoy reunion festival also takes place at the same time.
    Anyone
    > >been there before? I'm heading back to Philadelphia after the race. Any suggestions for fun stop
    > >off places on the way back??
    >
    > Well that sounds interesting. I haven't run a marathon in years. Maybe when I get into that Atkins
    > diet... My knees can't take it any more. I have rowed a few marathons though, and the level of
    > exhaustion as well as the times are quite similar. Rowing is a little faster (about 3:20),
    > probably because there are no hills.
    >
    > WV is beautiful. Hope you have a great run.
    >
    > --Scott

  4. Stratrider

    Stratrider Guest

    John, consider a white-water raft trip on the Upper Youghiogheny River in Western Maryland. From
    West Virginia heading east on I68 take the first exit in Maryland (Friendsville, MD.) There is a
    white water outfitter (don't remember the name) in town just over the bridge and just off the exit
    that runs an awesome trip. They run a four man boat with a guide. It's about $100 for the 3 hour
    trip. It's a bit pricey but this is a class 4 and 5 river! I ran it last month with a buddy in HIGH
    water conditions. It was wild! This river drops about 100 feet per mile. The run is about 11 miles.
    It's no pleasure cruise. Each rafter MUST paddle. With the strength and stamina of a marathoner,
    you'd be fine with it. If you want the name of the outfitter, I'll find it. You can email me at
    [email protected]

    Jim Reilly Reading, PA