Family mtn bike rids not to miss

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Brian, Jan 24, 2003.

  1. Brian

    Brian Guest

    This summer, I am taking the family on a 2 1/2 month summer camping, hiking, climbing, mtn biking
    tour of the U.S. I would like to compile a list of day bike rides (and maybe some relatively tame
    overnighters) that we absolutely should not miss. and what time of the Summer (June - August) would
    be the best time to go. I guess, also, if there are any permits, reservations etc that might need be
    secured that would be nice to know as well.

    We want to do a big loop from the mid atlantic (home), south then west, then north, and finally
    coming back east through wyoming, dakotas etc. However, that is subject to change.

    We will be pulling a popup and set up a "base-camp" for a week or two at a given location and
    backpack, climb, bike, hike, and then move on. I have looked through lots of books, but if you know
    of a book that would fulfill my quest, please pass along the title.

    BTW, The kids will be 8, 10, 13. We all bike ok, but the kids do not have much technical skills
    (especially while climbing). However, they can go for miles when the technical challenges are
    minimal (they love water crossings, though) Thanks for any help you can give.

    BAC

    Tags:

  2. Penny S

    Penny S Guest

    Brian wrote:
    > BTW, The kids will be 8, 10, 13. We all bike ok, but the kids do not have much technical skills
    > (especially while climbing). However, they can go for miles when the technical challenges are
    > minimal (they love water crossings, though) Thanks for any help you can give.
    >
    > BAC

    Here's one on the ID/Montana border, a non-paved rail trail. Easy yes, all down hill at a 1-3%
    grade. What makes this ride very cool is that it's the old route of the Hiawatha, and old rr grade
    complete with tunnels (up to 2 miles long) and lots of high trestles. Headlamps are required ( or
    lights of some sort) http://math.fullerton.edu/mathews/bicycle/RRView.jpg
    http://www.skilookout.com/bike_home_page.html http://wallace-id.com/skilookout/taft.html

    Other things in the area are old mine tours, white water, hiking, camping and a bit further south
    (St Maries Idaho) are beautiful old growth white pine and cedar forests to hike in - I think there
    are MB trails too. Lots of old cool mining camp ruins in the area, garnet collecting....

    Another fun one is the Lewis River trail, SE of the Mt., St Helens Nat'l Monument. Which btw is a
    must see-- camp on the east side and do some hiking around Windy Ridge. The east side of the part is
    not developed and hasn't been cleaned up by the loggers. But you do have to see the volano
    observatory on top.

    Lewis River trail. I don't have any links, but it's a wonderful swoopy, not very techincial ride 10
    miles up, 10 miles back from the bottom. Cedars, ferns. waterfall, sand beaches for lunch...I took
    my boys on this one at ages 11& 14 and they loved it. No links, but I'm sure it's listed in the WA
    trails of mtbr.com

    HTH

    Penny (draggin her kids all over the PNW for years now)

  3. Racerx3165

    Racerx3165 Guest

  4. Tj

    Tj Guest

    "penny s" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Brian wrote:
    Snip good advice

    The Lewis River trail has made Bike mag several times. It is one of my favorites to ride. Great
    scenery. It's nice to see so much green. I grew up a short distance from there. I even got to see
    the mountain blow up.

    TJ

    > trails of mtbr.com
    >
    > HTH
    >
    > Penny (draggin her kids all over the PNW for years now)

  5. Jd

    Jd Guest

    [email protected] (Brian) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>... <snip tall order>

    Get out a map, plan your route, then do a Google search for trails on your route.

    JD

  6. Bill Wheeler

    Bill Wheeler Guest

    On 24 Jan 2003 11:45:34 -0800, [email protected] (Brian) wrote:

    Howard County MD Patapsco State Park Avalon or Mckeldin area. The mind serves properly as a window
    glass rather than as a reflector, that is, the mind should give an immediate view instead of an
    interpretation of the world.
    :-]

  7. Paladin

    Paladin Guest

    "penny s" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Brian wrote:
    > > BTW, The kids will be 8, 10, 13. We all bike ok, but the kids do not have much technical skills
    > > (especially while climbing). However, they can go for miles when the technical challenges are
    > > minimal (they love water crossings, though) Thanks for any help you can give.
    > >
    > > BAC
    >
    > Here's one on the ID/Montana border, a non-paved rail trail. Easy yes, all down hill at a 1-3%
    > grade. What makes this ride very cool is that it's the old route of the Hiawatha, and old rr grade
    > complete with tunnels (up to 2 miles long) and lots of high trestles. Headlamps are required ( or
    > lights of some sort) http://math.fullerton.edu/mathews/bicycle/RRView.jpg
    > http://www.skilookout.com/bike_home_page.html http://wallace-id.com/skilookout/taft.html
    >

    > Other things in the area are old mine tours, white water, hiking, camping and a bit further south
    > (St Maries Idaho) are beautiful old growth white pine and cedar forests to hike in - I think there
    > are MB trails too. Lots of old cool mining camp ruins in the area, garnet collecting....
    >
    > Another fun one is the Lewis River trail, SE of the Mt., St Helens Nat'l Monument. Which btw is a
    > must see-- camp on the east side and do some hiking around Windy Ridge. The east side of the part
    > is not developed and hasn't been cleaned up by the loggers. But you do have to see the volano
    > observatory on top.
    >
    > Lewis River trail. I don't have any links, but it's a wonderful swoopy, not very techincial ride
    > 10 miles up, 10 miles back from the bottom. Cedars, ferns. waterfall, sand beaches for lunch...I
    > took my boys on this one at ages 11& 14 and they loved it. No links, but I'm sure it's listed in
    > the WA trails of mtbr.com
    >
    > HTH
    >
    > Penny (draggin her kids all over the PNW for years now)

    Good calls, Penny. I would only add the Sawtooths and Whiteclouds of Central Idaho, around
    Stanley and Sun Valley. Great for the family, and some relatively tame, but spectacular riding
    here and there.

    Paladin

  8. Santa

    Santa Guest

    > Get out a map, plan your route, then do a Google search for trails on your
    route.

    > JD

    great help

  9. Jd

    Jd Guest

    "santa" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > > Get out a map, plan your route, then do a Google search for trails on your
    > route.
    > >
    > > JD
    >
    > great help

    Yeah, help yourself.