Family mtn bike rids not to miss



Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Brian

Guest
This summer, I am taking the family on a 2 1/2 month summer camping, hiking, climbing, mtn biking
tour of the U.S. I would like to compile a list of day bike rides (and maybe some relatively tame
overnighters) that we absolutely should not miss. and what time of the Summer (June - August) would
be the best time to go. I guess, also, if there are any permits, reservations etc that might need be
secured that would be nice to know as well.

We want to do a big loop from the mid atlantic (home), south then west, then north, and finally
coming back east through wyoming, dakotas etc. However, that is subject to change.

We will be pulling a popup and set up a "base-camp" for a week or two at a given location and
backpack, climb, bike, hike, and then move on. I have looked through lots of books, but if you know
of a book that would fulfill my quest, please pass along the title.

BTW, The kids will be 8, 10, 13. We all bike ok, but the kids do not have much technical skills
(especially while climbing). However, they can go for miles when the technical challenges are
minimal (they love water crossings, though) Thanks for any help you can give.

BAC
 
P

Penny S

Guest
Brian wrote:
> BTW, The kids will be 8, 10, 13. We all bike ok, but the kids do not have much technical skills
> (especially while climbing). However, they can go for miles when the technical challenges are
> minimal (they love water crossings, though) Thanks for any help you can give.
>
> BAC

Here's one on the ID/Montana border, a non-paved rail trail. Easy yes, all down hill at a 1-3%
grade. What makes this ride very cool is that it's the old route of the Hiawatha, and old rr grade
complete with tunnels (up to 2 miles long) and lots of high trestles. Headlamps are required ( or
lights of some sort) http://math.fullerton.edu/mathews/bicycle/RRView.jpg
http://www.skilookout.com/bike_home_page.html http://wallace-id.com/skilookout/taft.html

Other things in the area are old mine tours, white water, hiking, camping and a bit further south
(St Maries Idaho) are beautiful old growth white pine and cedar forests to hike in - I think there
are MB trails too. Lots of old cool mining camp ruins in the area, garnet collecting....

Another fun one is the Lewis River trail, SE of the Mt., St Helens Nat'l Monument. Which btw is a
must see-- camp on the east side and do some hiking around Windy Ridge. The east side of the part is
not developed and hasn't been cleaned up by the loggers. But you do have to see the volano
observatory on top.

Lewis River trail. I don't have any links, but it's a wonderful swoopy, not very techincial ride 10
miles up, 10 miles back from the bottom. Cedars, ferns. waterfall, sand beaches for lunch...I took
my boys on this one at ages 11& 14 and they loved it. No links, but I'm sure it's listed in the WA
trails of mtbr.com

HTH

Penny (draggin her kids all over the PNW for years now)
 
T

Tj

Guest
"penny s" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Brian wrote:
Snip good advice

The Lewis River trail has made Bike mag several times. It is one of my favorites to ride. Great
scenery. It's nice to see so much green. I grew up a short distance from there. I even got to see
the mountain blow up.

TJ

> trails of mtbr.com
>
> HTH
>
> Penny (draggin her kids all over the PNW for years now)
 
B

Bill Wheeler

Guest
On 24 Jan 2003 11:45:34 -0800, [email protected] (Brian) wrote:

Howard County MD Patapsco State Park Avalon or Mckeldin area. The mind serves properly as a window
glass rather than as a reflector, that is, the mind should give an immediate view instead of an
interpretation of the world.
:-]
 
P

Paladin

Guest
"penny s" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Brian wrote:
> > BTW, The kids will be 8, 10, 13. We all bike ok, but the kids do not have much technical skills
> > (especially while climbing). However, they can go for miles when the technical challenges are
> > minimal (they love water crossings, though) Thanks for any help you can give.
> >
> > BAC
>
> Here's one on the ID/Montana border, a non-paved rail trail. Easy yes, all down hill at a 1-3%
> grade. What makes this ride very cool is that it's the old route of the Hiawatha, and old rr grade
> complete with tunnels (up to 2 miles long) and lots of high trestles. Headlamps are required ( or
> lights of some sort) http://math.fullerton.edu/mathews/bicycle/RRView.jpg
> http://www.skilookout.com/bike_home_page.html http://wallace-id.com/skilookout/taft.html
>
>
> Other things in the area are old mine tours, white water, hiking, camping and a bit further south
> (St Maries Idaho) are beautiful old growth white pine and cedar forests to hike in - I think there
> are MB trails too. Lots of old cool mining camp ruins in the area, garnet collecting....
>
> Another fun one is the Lewis River trail, SE of the Mt., St Helens Nat'l Monument. Which btw is a
> must see-- camp on the east side and do some hiking around Windy Ridge. The east side of the part
> is not developed and hasn't been cleaned up by the loggers. But you do have to see the volano
> observatory on top.
>
> Lewis River trail. I don't have any links, but it's a wonderful swoopy, not very techincial ride
> 10 miles up, 10 miles back from the bottom. Cedars, ferns. waterfall, sand beaches for lunch...I
> took my boys on this one at ages 11& 14 and they loved it. No links, but I'm sure it's listed in
> the WA trails of mtbr.com
>
> HTH
>
> Penny (draggin her kids all over the PNW for years now)

Good calls, Penny. I would only add the Sawtooths and Whiteclouds of Central Idaho, around
Stanley and Sun Valley. Great for the family, and some relatively tame, but spectacular riding
here and there.

Paladin
 
S

Santa

Guest
> Get out a map, plan your route, then do a Google search for trails on your
route.
>
> JD

great help
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar threads