FAMISHED!

whuppingboy

Feb 22, 2010
After a long ride, (100miles+) i feel sooo hungry.
I get the strongest desire to consume anything and everything.
I eat energy bars and take drinks whilst riding but nothing substancial, is there anything i could carry to stop me feeling that hungry?
Something to fill me up.!

Maybe some trail mix with a lot of fiber in it.You can design your own according to your taste and lots of water.

Well if your just got back from a 100 mile ride eat whatever you want. Prime Rib should hit the spot./img/vbsmilies/smilies/wink.gif

Did a 70mi out and 70mi back yesterday. Unsupported, so had to figure out what to do about nutrition without carrying a lot of stuff. Tried Hammer Perpetuem for the first time. Mixed two small Hammer squeeze flasks with 1 serving of powder each and just enough water to make it a paste. Sucked a small shot every 10 miles or so.

My ride plan called for a rest stop at the turn around point, so had a small wrap sandwich there. A footlong Subway sub and 3 small bottles of Gatorade at the finish and I was OK. On supported centuries I usually consume PBJ quarters and bannanas at 50mil stop and am on an insatiable food scavage after like you, but not yesterday. Not sure if it was the Perpetuem but you might try it.

This does nothing to compare with what you all did, but I rode 20 miles on Saturday, halfway point was at an old country store. Lady asked me if I wanted a 1/3 lb or 1/2 lb burger. I got the 1/3 lb, but wished after I was done that I got the 1/2 lb! I couldve eaten it and been okay.

I did a solo unsupported 70 miles on Saturday. I started with two 20 oz water bottles of Heed, two bananas, and a couple of energy bars. At 60 miles, I rode past a steak house. My mouth is still watering, but I rode on past since I had been sweating fairly freely and probably smelled a little bad by then. Some evening this week is going to see me in that steak house though, probably after my easy Wednesday ride.

I did a 100 mile (102.45 to be exact) ride two days ago and went through 3 packs of clif shot bloks, 1 powerbar gel and 2 clif bars with 2 bottles of Gatorade. I passed two McDonalds places on my route, being 13 years old the only thing keeping me from going in there was that I only had 5 bucks on me.

So then from the advice and tales you have told me i am going to do the following;-
Nice breakfast -porridge oats, banana and make some little sandwiches up with jam.
Then loads of water and electrolyte.
THEN after go to Macdonalds (Big MAC+fries) and then the closest steak house for a juicy fillet steak and a rack of ribs..!!
Cannot wait...LOL

You'll probably find that McChicken Nuggets fit in the back pocket easier than a Big Mac. Tear off the side of the box, fold down the paper bag and slide it in the pocket.

... and yes, been there and done that. Not the best food on the planet but after a 100 miles around Holmfirth and Saddleworth moor and still 20 miles from home, 20 chicken nuggets and fries hit the spot as did the 2.5 gallon of Coke that came with the meal.

Supersize me, beeyatch. ;) 145lbs and no signs of weight gain or puking in the parking lot like Morgan "weak belly" Spewlock.

This meal is not recommended as a regular source of sports nutrition and may lead to stomach cramps, nausea, heart burn and vomiting in the weak and infirm. Consult your doctor or nambypamby.net if symptoms occour.

Originally Posted by finnrambo .

being 13 years old the only thing keeping me from going in there was that I only had 5 bucks on me.
Sheesh, at 13 years old I was building ramps with cinder blocks and jumping over friends in the neighborhood. Certainly not riding 100 miles on a road bike. Granted, I probably rode thousands of miles in my little neighborhoods, but nothing like a structured ride and wanting to build muscle, etc.

Originally Posted by whuppingboy .

I eat energy bars and take drinks whilst riding but nothing substancial, is there anything i could carry to stop me feeling that hungry?
I was just like you in my youth. I couldn't keep food in my stomach for nothing. My first 100 mile race I prepared according to another rider I knew and I came in last place in the race because I had gone through all the food I had and was famished at about the 2/3rd mark so I stopped into market to buy food!! If your consuming the normal Power or Cliff bars forget them! You need something more substantial, you need a meal replacement bar like the Big 100 Colossal bar's, or the Snickers meal replacement high protein bar sold at Walmart where they keep the protein powders and protein shakes. The other alternative, which is what I did back when I was young due to this other stuff not out yet, was to buy army surplus Hooah bar or another bar I can't remember the name of. But the bars I mentioned from Walmart work very well.

Originally Posted by Jman .

I don't ride long enough to need it but Alan Lim has some good ideas

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGZUohUwDdI
Thank you, Jman. I think that fellow makes a great deal of good sense.
Then I read the comments and see criticisms from people who...what, would
rather be drinking an "energy drink"; I don't know. So I wrote from the heart at the video just now,
@Island728 , because it's a SMALL MEAL, dude. He knows what he's talking about.
It's a calorie-dense and nutrient dense SMALL meal you eat on the ride, as needed to stoke the animal machinery.
NOTE that cows do very little athletic work, and can live on grass. LIONS need meat. Horses can graze between runs.
WOLVES need meat and fat, like vigorous people do, too.

ampdavolts 1 sec ago
It is much more difficult for the animal to make red meat from green, than red meat from red,
and it is much better, too, to obtain white matter, fat, from fat, than to make it from greens.
Cows eat nothing but lean, have complex digestion processes, and turn fat-less greens into fatty red meat.
Isn't it interesting, that presto-change-o act of cows? They are health food animals who make us salivate to eat them.
Likewise, we generally do not turn up our snouts at pigs. :) Cows are necessarily stupid,
for they cannot afford to think fast, not on their fare and not for fast moves. Lions gulp cows,
whereas cows must ruminate slowly on vegetable cuds and try not to worry about the food chain snapping back on them.
It is interesting to note that the pig never worries whether he/she will be digestible in the athlete on the run or ride. The pig
eats and snorts in delight and takes a nap and dreams not of you.

Frank was perfect, teaching hundreds of millions of people to live their lives in bold, in defiance of doubt.

I was just like you in my youth. I couldn't keep food in my stomach for nothing. My first 100 mile race I prepared according to another rider I knew and I came in last place in the race because I had gone through all the food I had and was famished at about the 2/3rd mark so I stopped into market to buy food!! If your consuming the normal Power or Cliff bars forget them! You need something more substantial, you need a meal replacement bar like the Big 100 Colossal bar's, or the Snickers meal replacement high protein bar sold at Walmart where they keep the protein powders and protein shakes. The other alternative, which is what I did back when I was young due to this other stuff not out yet, was to buy army surplus Hooah bar or another bar I can't remember the name of. But the bars I mentioned from Walmart work very well.
Thanks.. i live in England so we don't have Walmart as it were.. but will source some from the net or health shop.. i'm sure i will.get and give em a go..
Nice one..

As others here have suggested eating during a ride is important but unless you're eating gargantuan amounts during a spin you'll still be hungry when you finish.

If I do an extra long spin, I make sure to have a pasta-based menu to eat straight after the cycle because like you I'm hungry as well.
I find that these dishes quickly satisfy my hunger.

A little tip though. The night before you do a long cycle load up on plenty of carbohydrates. This should offset the hunger pangs during a ride.

I remember after my first metric century, I came home and my wife said, "whaddya want to do for dinner?" I took us straight to Five Guys Burgers and Fries and ate a garantuan burger and probably a pound of fries (exag). I was soooo hungry. And I ate barbecue right after the ride!

Thanks.. i live in England so we don't have Walmart as it were.. but will source some from the net or health shop.. i'm sure i will.get and give em a go..
Nice one..

WalMart own ASDA - and they're both similar stores, except that ASDA doesn't have a section of needless cheap tat.

Your local bike shop will have plenty of stuff in - the Science in Sport powder is good stuff and has been around for decades. PSP22 is the original. It's just a plain complex carb drink that dissolves completely and has a very neutral taste. It's very easy on the stomach too. They do a flavoured drink now as well - but that seems to require lots of scoops... I have friends that come over once a year (I used to live in England) and they do some riding out here in northern California and they always bring a couple of bottles of SIS products. I think Contadors team is using their stuff this year...

I'm not sure in Hammer Nutrition products are sold in the UK but they're the only other carb drink product that I'll use. Again, very easy on the stomach if you're riding hard for 3+ hours which is key. If you're riding on the tops, spinning 42x18 chatting with friends then you can pretty much eat anything - stuff it in 52x16 and 15 for 3 hours at 22mph and your stomach might have a different reaction when you chow or slurp down that uber sugary drink lacking in complex carbs, especially when the weather starts to get hotter.

Stuff like Hammer Perpertuem and SIS PSP22 ain't cheap but for me, they work as well as the price suggests they should.

Originally Posted by limerickman .

As others here have suggested eating during a ride is important but unless you're eating gargantuan amounts during a spin you'll still be hungry when you finish.

If I do an extra long spin, I make sure to have a pasta-based menu to eat straight after the cycle because like you I'm hungry as well.
I find that these dishes quickly satisfy my hunger.

A little tip though. The night before you do a long cycle load up on plenty of carbohydrates. This should offset the hunger pangs during a ride.
This is good and correct advice, advice given to me was the same years ago when I did my first century ride...it didn't work for me, it worked for others, just not me. I was still hungry even after consuming my bars, too hungry (shaking type of hunger) to sustain energy for fast pace riding for the last 30 miles or so. The second time I ran a century race I simply packed more bars and won that one.

Yeah dudes.
Finished my ride yesteday. (122Miles).
Avg speed 16.5Mph (mostly flattish till the last 20)
Its a start and hopefully will get better. This time however i made the effort to eat a nice breakfast (porridge oats), then a bar every 20-30 miles + electrolyte+ water.
then we made a quick stop for a sandwich and filled up with water. kept the steady intake of bars and water till the last 35miles and had to use a few gels also to get me over the hills..!
It was a good experience (better and more manageable than my previous centuries) and one that was made more enjoyable by the great advice of you guys...Nice one guys..

Originally Posted by swampy1970 .

Supersize me, beeyatch. ;) 145lbs and no signs of weight gain or puking in the parking lot like Morgan "weak belly" Spewlock.
Haha! Nice! The McBrick! That movie cracked me up!