FAMISHED!

Hunger after long rides is a conditioned response. I always do my yard chores and shower after my rides and before eating.

I used to plan my rides 100+ miles to have stops every 40-50 miles. A candy bar (250 cal) plus a 44oz pop (550 cal) would provide enough calories to get me to the next stop. Now I prefer a quart of chocolate milk (880 cal).

Originally Posted by An old Guy .

Hunger after long rides is a conditioned response. I always do my yard chores and shower after my rides and before eating.

I used to plan my rides 100+ miles to have stops every 40-50 miles. A candy bar (250 cal) plus a 44oz pop (550 cal) would provide enough calories to get me to the next stop. Now I prefer a quart of chocolate milk (880 cal).
After a long ride you need to immediately inhale some protein for recovery, do this first then do your yard chores and shower.

Yeah there is a way. Might want to try eating really clean. Sounds like the processed foods are making you feel some hunger pains. Eat real foods. High fructose corn syrup and processed chemicals are doing it to you. When you change the diet there is a huge difference. You won't ever feel hungry and you will eat with control. Who knows what is in those power bars.

I am also not satisfied with the energy bars or any food I bring with me together with the drinks. This is the reason why after every long ride I always finish it with a nice dinner at a nearby restaurant or any food place I can find along the way. You used lots of calories and you need to replace them the body is telling you to do it quick so feed it well

One good thing when I ride along with a group is that I can go farther. My favorite haunt during weekend mornings is the town of Antipolo (already a city now). The steep zigzag road is a good climb that can test a rider's mettle. And after the 15-kilometer ride, the finish line is the cathedral where eateries are abound in the church patio. There are breakfast food, meals, soup and native delicacies. Take your pick and enjoy eating. What more? I buy some native delicacies to bring home.

Reactions: BobCochran
It must be very nice to finish a ride close to many places to eat. Is the Hinulugang Taktak Park also close by? Antipolo is close to Manila and I guess its population is about the same as Washington, D.C.

Reactions: Corzhens
whuppingboy said:
After a long ride, (100miles+) i feel sooo hungry.
I get the strongest desire to consume anything and everything.
I eat energy bars and take drinks whilst riding but nothing substancial, is there anything i could carry to stop me feeling that hungry?
Something to fill me up.!
Trail mix, fruit, a PBJ and some water.

BobCochran said:
It must be very nice to finish a ride close to many places to eat. Is the Hinulugang Taktak Park also close by? Antipolo is close to Manila and I guess its population is about the same as Washington, D.C.
Gee, I'm awed by your comment, Sir. Yes, Hinulugang Taktak is the small waterfall that used to be the landmark of Antipolo town (which is now a city that is full of residential subdivisions). But we never go to HInulugang Taktak park for no reason at all, maybe the guys just wanted a straight ride in the main road. By the way, the weather in Antipolo is cool that's why bikers prefer to go there in the early morning or leave the place in the evening.. although it is risky to bike at night considering the winding road.

Corzhens said:
But we never go to HInulugang Taktak park for no reason at all
Hi Corzhens, what is considered a good reason to go to the park? Does the waterfall have special significance?

Thanks

Bob

That is a very long ride indeed, especially if you haven't eaten anything along the way. Personally, I like to take oat bars with me, as they are easy to take out of my bag, and I don't even have to stop my bike if I don't want to (although I find eating a much better experience if I do pull over for a short while). I have one of these perhaps every hour, along with plenty of water, and I find that it is enough to keep my hunger at bay until I get home, when I can make myself a good meal. You always need to make sure that you keep yourself full of enough food, because this will give you the energy that you need in order to keep yourself going along the way.

Nothing like carrying some energy bars. Also, if you pass by a supermarket, just go for some fresh milk and bananas, awesome combination. :)

For the most part anything with lots of carbs and proteins fills me up quite nicely. Things like peanut butter sandwiches are a really simple choice but go a long way to keep me feeling full. In terms of protein, any steak, meat, or chicken will help a lot in replenishing muscle energy and reducing lactic acid so you won't feel as sore the next day. But as other people have said, trail mix is another good option. It's a crunchy, tasty snack that packs a punch for hunger.