Fantasy Cycling Team Competition

limerickman

Jan 5, 2004
For those of you who really follow the sport and are interested in testing your
DS abilities at spotting talent and picking riders, can I recommend this site

[email protected] <[email protected]>

http://www.depontieu.net/cobble/

The rules are self explanatory : you get to select 10 (if I remember correctly) based on the UCI listing and can throughout the season alternate selections at designated times.
All riders actual race results are aggregated together to award your team points based upon actual race results.

It's good fun - over 1200 team selections entered last year.

I selected a team last year that included Freire, Petacchi etc and managed to finish in 235th place.

Enjoy.

Thanks for the tip Lim! I like how this site is run: simple, no ads, looks like a good system. I just spent some time working on my team for the first set of races. Should be fun!

I joined. I picked a team based on emotions more then anything. I had to go with Zabel & Boonen. I love my sprinters. The rest are English speakers to go along with my Team name of Ti-Raleigh. The one rider I feel is going to be a dark horse that could pull off some major upsets is Chris Horner. I saw him ride away from Armstrong a week after Armstrong won the Worlds. I had to go with a few Americans and some Brits because of the Raleigh name...... I threw some Aussies in there.
I am assuming we can change our team as we head into the stage racing season? Am I correct in that?

wolfix said:
I joined. I picked a team based on emotions more then anything. I had to go with Zabel & Boonen. I love my sprinters. The rest are English speakers to go along with my Team name of Ti-Raleigh. The one rider I feel is going to be a dark horse that could pull off some major upsets is Chris Horner. I saw him ride away from Armstrong a week after Armstrong won the Worlds. I had to go with a few Americans and some Brits because of the Raleigh name...... I threw some Aussies in there.
I am assuming we can change our team as we head into the stage racing season? Am I correct in that?

Indeed you can change you team as the season progresses - the website tells you when you can change them (normally every six weeks or so).

It's good fun and this compeition forces fans to look at all race results
to guage if they have the best team.

Greta to see you and tcklyde taking up the competition!

Yeah ..... it looks as if this will be fun. I noticed in the graph provided that Zabel wasn't very popular.... I think Erik has a victory left in him this year. Matter of fact, since he will be leading out the Italian, I could see him taking it all the way to the line. He could be a surprise. Last year I was outraged he was not chosen for the TDF team.... I still hold a grudge against T-M.
I see Axel Merckx was real popular when his ranking was not very high. I didn't choose him , but he might be a dark horse this year.
I think Hincapie might have a good year. I chose him. I chose a few other Americans too simply because......
I like the chances of Hammond. I chose him.

The next step is I get to design the frame paint job and the team car..... Campagnolo through out of course. And the podium girls have to be "Girls of the Union Jack" because of the Raleigh sponsorship.

This comment taken from cyclingnews.com is an insight to why I think Boonen will have a great year.
--------------------
Newcomer Tosatto echoed his friend and training partner Trenti, explaining,

"Trenti and I gave Tom an Italian style leadout like we did for Petacchi. I don't think Tom has ever had a real lead-out train like that and now that we've organized it, I think we'll be able to help Tom a lot in the sprints."
- ------------------
I think Boonen will give Petacchi a run for the money in the mass sprints , but he also has the ability to ride without a train and pull off a win now and then on his own. And Merckx commented something about Boonen's ability to ride all season long. Maybe Boonen is the new Zabel with a fancy jersey???
He is the first rider in a long time that really peaks my interest.

Another great game can be found at http://www.cyclingcompetition.com
Apart from the two different competitions,
there's a news section, a forum, chatroom, background stories,
interviews, you name it, they've got it! No entry fees, no advertising, no banners or annoying pop-ups either !

Those of you who joined the Cobblestone fantasy team competition - have you checked how your team is faring, so far?

My team is in the top 30 (out of 644 teams) as at 05/03/06.
Quite surprised that my team was going that well to be perfectly honest !

limerickman said:
Those of you who joined the Cobblestone fantasy team competition - have you checked how your team is faring, so far?

My team will finish last. I picked a team heavy on sprinters and English speaking riders. A few Americans, a few GB'ers, and a few Aussies..... Of course I did go with Zabel & big Tom......I'm not like T-mobile, I want Zabel around.

This year I am going to watch a little closer, then next year I am going to try and put a winning team together.....

As I was choosing the tem I realized that Zabel was probably my favorite rider the last decade....... I have a love/hate type of thing with Jan Ullrich. I think he has wasted some big potential in his career. Last year when Lance rode by him in the TT I would have pulled Jan and sent him home. It had to be humiliating to his team , fans and the German public.

Especially when they left Zabel home.

wolfix said:
My team will finish last. I picked a team heavy on sprinters and English speaking riders. A few Americans, a few GB'ers, and a few Aussies..... Of course I did go with Zabel & big Tom......I'm not like T-mobile, I want Zabel around.

This year I am going to watch a little closer, then next year I am going to try and put a winning team together.....

As I was choosing the tem I realized that Zabel was probably my favorite rider the last decade....... I have a love/hate type of thing with Jan Ullrich. I think he has wasted some big potential in his career. Last year when Lance rode by him in the TT I would have pulled Jan and sent him home. It had to be humiliating to his team , fans and the German public.

Especially when they left Zabel home.

I didn't do too badly last year in that competition (my first time).

Zabel is the best cyclist of the last 10 years - Mr Consistent.

My team this year is Di Luca, Bettini, Voigt, Pozzato, Flecha, Weening, Astarloa, Scarponi, Van Petegem, Wauters (Marc), Baldato.

You picked a real solid team ...... I like your choice of Van Petegem. I thinkm he is the rider that could break out and have a spectaular season. I just did not have room for any Belgians.......
My team name is Ti-Raleigh. My riders will be distinctive for the their wool jerseys......

My team ....
bel.png
Boonen Tom (Quickstep - Innergetic) 2
ger.png
Zabel Erik (Team Milram) 3
usa.png
Hincapie George (Discovery Channel) 4
aus.png
O'Grady Stuart (Team CSC) 5
aus.png
McGee Bradley (Francaise Des Jeux) 6
usa.png
Horner Christopher (Davitamon - Lotto) 7
usa.png
Rodriguez Fred (Davitamon - Lotto) 8
usa.png
Zabriskie David (Team CSC) 9
gbr.png
Hammond Roger (Discovery Channel) 10
gbr.png
Wiggins Bradley (Cofidis) 11
gbr.png
Hunt Jeremy (Unibet.com)

I know it is not a catagory, but I choose Peter Post for my DS. I went with Raleigh for my bikes , equipped with Super Record. Reynolds 753 of course. The Conti peaple are putting the tubulars on the bikes. I put the ghost of Gerrie Knetemann in the team car......

Dsc00419.jpg

wolfix said:
You picked a real solid team ...... I like your choice of Van Petegem. I thinkm he is the rider that could break out and have a spectaular season. I just did not have room for any Belgians.......
My team name is Ti-Raleigh. My riders will be distinctive for the their wool jerseys......

My team ....
bel.png
Boonen Tom (Quickstep - Innergetic) 2
ger.png
Zabel Erik (Team Milram) 3
usa.png
Hincapie George (Discovery Channel) 4
aus.png
O'Grady Stuart (Team CSC) 5
aus.png
McGee Bradley (Francaise Des Jeux) 6
usa.png
Horner Christopher (Davitamon - Lotto) 7
usa.png
Rodriguez Fred (Davitamon - Lotto) 8
usa.png
Zabriskie David (Team CSC) 9
gbr.png
Hammond Roger (Discovery Channel) 10
gbr.png
Wiggins Bradley (Cofidis) 11
gbr.png
Hunt Jeremy (Unibet.com)

I know it is not a catagory, but I choose Peter Post for my DS. I went with Raleigh for my bikes , equipped with Super Record. Reynolds 753 of course. The Conti peaple are putting the tubulars on the bikes. I put the ghost of Gerrie Knetemann in the team car......

Dsc00419.jpg

That's a good team Wolf : guys like Hammond, Hincapie and Hunt could well do something in the Classics.
I see you've gone for a sizable American contingent - Rodriguez, Horner, Zabriskie : these boys can get a result or too as well.
Seasons early!

limerickman said:
That's a good team Wolf : guys like Hammond, Hincapie and Hunt could well do something in the Classics.
I see you've gone for a sizable American contingent - Rodriguez, Horner, Zabriskie : these boys can get a result or too as well.
Seasons early!
I will look at the game, but mostly i don't do very well with cycling fantasy games. My love for climbers is too big (a team full of climbers, a few guys who can do well at ITT's, NO SPRINTERS! And who is gonna bring the climbers through the flat stages at the Grand tours? Yes... nobody... Lim if you made place 235 last season i will probebly manage place 500

limerickman said:

top 40.
actually 30-40.:D

Folks - I'm not getting carried away just yet.
My team name this year is Galloways Gallopers.
They're currently 24th - but the seasons early, and that position can easily change.

As regards selecting teams - I'd love to have a team of climbers : but unfortunately not all racing is climbing!

If I can pass on any advise - it would be to select a team with guys who are good allrounders : and not necessarily the JU's or LA's of this sport.
JU and LA will score big in the GT's but..........
It's like what I've been saying all along - this competition, like the sport, isn't just about big tours.

limerickman said:
Seasons early!
I went with some Americans because I am American ....... But I missed Bobby Julich ...... He seems to be on form. Horner is a mystery man. He was not always well recieved when racing in America. But he is exciting racer. He will attack , sometimes way too far out. If he would transfered to Europe early in his career and held on, he might have made a name for himself.

Today is Gerrie Knetemanns birthday .......... Lim .....check out the jersey he is wearing in the link I have here...... http://www.cyclinghalloffame.com/ Then check out the one in my pic. .......

Hey, hey now you're talking : Gerrie Kneteman was a great great rider.
Go on the TI Raleigh boys!

That's why you've Peter Post as your cycling team manager!
I remember TI Raleigh devouring the peloton : Jan Rass, Kneteman..............

I'm languishing in 250th right now. But I think things could improve.

My team is:
Boonen
Julich
Freire
O'Grady
Eeckhout
Van Heeswijk
Devolder
Forester, Robert
Hunter, Robert
Kroon
Kloden

Julich and Boonen are clearly on good form, so that bodes well for Paris-Nice. And I'm hoping Freire puts in a strong performance in Tirreno-Adriatico. Kloden could also do well.

Will have to do a team change before MSR, but I assume you guys will as well.

tcklyde said:
I'm languishing in 250th right now. But I think things could improve.

My team is:
Boonen
Julich
Freire
O'Grady
Eeckhout
Van Heeswijk
Devolder
Forester, Robert
Hunter, Robert
Kroon
Kloden

Julich and Boonen are clearly on good form, so that bodes well for Paris-Nice. And I'm hoping Freire puts in a strong performance in Tirreno-Adriatico. Kloden could also do well.

Will have to do a team change before MSR, but I assume you guys will as well.

I'll be changing my team - I've dropped to 79th today - so things do change.

That's a good team you've got there, tcklyde.
Freire might replicate Adriatico result again this year.
I was sorely tempted to include O'Grady - I think he too could deliver.
Kloden - I must have missed him in my selection.

Julich and Boonen are going really well as you say : I'll try to include Boonen
when we get a chance to change the team!