Farewell, faithful friend

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Mike K Smith, Jan 21, 2006.

  1. Mike K Smith

    Mike K Smith Guest

    So, farewell then
    My Brooks B17 saddle
    Whose rails fractured
    Terminally
    On my way back from Popham today.

    You supported me
    For twenty years
    On three
    Different bikes.

    EJ Brooks (B17 1/2)

    I was riding out to Popham to meet Mr Larrington and Mr MartinM[1] when
    I felt something go 'thunk' under me, and the world seemed to start
    sagging to the right. The rail on the right-hand side had fractured, but
    I crossed my fingers, whistled nonchalantly and carried on.

    I met Martin briefly, and had a drink with Dave (but didn't see JohnB,
    sadly) before setting off for home. I was within a mile and a half of
    home when the other rail snapped, leaving me no visible means of
    support. I managed to ride home standing in the saddle, pedalling a few
    turns at a time in a "Teenager-On-A-Wrong-Sized-BMX" stylee.

    As it happens I was planning to "retire" this saddle to the Airnimal
    while I broke in a new one. So I'll Proofide the new one and "look
    forward" to some uncomfortable rides over the next few weeks.

    Mike

    [1] JohnB, did you ride out to Popham? Next time we should work out
    positive means of identification.
     
    Tags:


  2. David Martin

    David Martin Guest

    Mike K Smith wrote:

    > As it happens I was planning to "retire" this saddle to the Airnimal
    > while I broke in a new one. So I'll Proofide the new one and "look
    > forward" to some uncomfortable rides over the next few weeks.


    Where did the rails fracture and what are they made of? If they are not
    titanium I'd happily pay postage to give it a new lease of life after
    some suitable attention with hot gasses or electrickery.

    ...d
     
  3. John B

    John B Guest

    Mike K Smith wrote:

    > So, farewell then
    > My Brooks B17 saddle
    > Whose rails fractured
    > Terminally
    > On my way back from Popham today.


    What a rat - I was going to say something else ;-)

    >
    > [1] JohnB, did you ride out to Popham? Next time we should work out
    > positive means of identification.


    I was *much* delayed.
    I had a cycle-training session early this morning in Fleet, then, as
    heading towards Popham thinking of tea and cakes, received a call to
    divert into Basingsjoke to pick up some photomaterials.
    By then, Popham was looking to be too late :-(

    Not too bad a ride though, covered over 60 miles.

    John B
     
  4. Mike K Smith

    Mike K Smith Guest

    David Martin wrote:

    > Where did the rails fracture and what are they made of? If they are not
    > titanium I'd happily pay postage to give it a new lease of life after
    > some suitable attention with hot gasses or electrickery.

    The rails are chromed steel, but they fractured right at the rear edge
    of the seatpost cradle. I'd be surprised if you could make a strong
    repair without putting a metal sleeve over the break, which would make
    it difficult to fit the rails into the cradle.

    The other problem is that I managed to lose the nose bolt from the
    saddle as I was riding along out of the saddle. I hadn't realised that
    it wasn't captive.

    Thanks for the offer, but I might just keep the skin as a souvenir.
     
  5. Mike K Smith

    Mike K Smith Guest

    John B wrote:
    >
    > Mike K Smith wrote:
    >
    >
    >>So, farewell then
    >>My Brooks B17 saddle
    >>Whose rails fractured
    >>Terminally
    >>On my way back from Popham today.

    >
    >
    > What a rat - I was going to say something else ;-)

    ??? Do tell!


    >>[1] JohnB, did you ride out to Popham? Next time we should work out
    >>positive means of identification.

    >
    >
    > I was *much* delayed.
    > I had a cycle-training session early this morning in Fleet, then, as
    > heading towards Popham thinking of tea and cakes, received a call to
    > divert into Basingsjoke to pick up some photomaterials.
    > By then, Popham was looking to be too late :-(

    OK I was concerned that you might have been there and I hadn't noticed.

    > Not too bad a ride though, covered over 60 miles.

    Sounds good, mine was just over 40.
     
Loading...
Loading...