Farfel and Mushrooms

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Melba's Jammin', Dec 8, 2005.

  1. In article <[email protected]>,
    Margaret Suran <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Melba's Jammin' wrote:
    > > In article <[email protected]>,
    > > Melba's Jammin' <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >

    > >>Paraphrasing The Second Avenue Deli's recipe from their cookbook:
    > >>
    > >>Farfel and Mushrooms

    > > (recipe snipped)
    > > I can only surmise how delicious it would be if I'd had the farfel and
    > > didn't need to substitute orzo pasta. Pics and details are on my
    > > website. <I blush for embarrass>

    > Farfel used to be sold in little boxes, just as the rest of the
    > noodles, in the kosher section of every supermarket.
    >
    > After the experience I had with the Egg Bowties last month, I was less
    > surprised when I could not find Farfel, either when I looked for it
    > today. Finally I found weird little cellophane packages with Egg
    > Barley, one from Streit's and one from an Israeli company.
    >
    > Orzo is nothing like Farfel, who are tiny pieces of egg noodles, baked
    > or dried and are like tiny Fleckerln. No self respecting Farfel would
    > ever try to look like a grain of rice.

    I found Manischewitz egg bow ties at my Cub today, but no farfel.
    --
    http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 12-8-05, My Farfel-less
    Farfel with Mushrooms. Jeez!

  2. The Bubbo

    The Bubbo Guest

    Melba's Jammin' wrote:

    >> My friend Jessi is married to an Eguptian dude. She gets invited to all

    these
    >> big cooking get togethers and the old Muslim women (mostly Egyptian in this
    >> case, but from lots of other places as well) go crazy trying to teach the
    >> american girl how to cook things. In turn, Jessi has taught me a few things

    as
    >> well.
    >>
    >> The Egyptian kufta were long and narrow and cooked on a skewer. I met the

    cook
    >> who made them for the buffet and apparently he is well known in his circle

    for
    >> his kufta, his eggplant something or other with tomato and garlic, and
    >> something else that I don't remember but happily ate.

    > Ever been to Holy Land deli/restaurant/grocery store on Lowry & Central
    > NE? One gyro platter serves 2 easily.

    not in double+ a million years, I need to go again.
    oh, and the egyptian buffet is at Marina's in Columbia Heights, couple blocks
    south of 694 on central. I went during Ramadan and it was crazy busy, I'm sure
    it's quieter now.

    --
    ..:Heather:.
    www.velvet-c.com

  3. In article <[email protected]>,
    Larry LaMere <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I haven't seen Farfel in years, but I didn't know they killed and ate him.
    >
    > N*E*S*T*L*E*S nestleys is the very best cho-o-o-ocolate.
    >
    > Sorry but it was the first thing Im thought of from the title.

    You are not alone.
    --
    http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 12-11-05 - Good Food, Good Friends