Fascism:

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Shaun Rimmer, Mar 4, 2003.

  1. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    "I believe that political correctness can be a form of linguistic fascism, and it sends shivers down
    the spine of my generation who went to war against fascism."

    [P D James, in the "Paris Review",
    (1995); quoted in the "Oxford Dictionary of Thematic Quotations"
    (1996)]

    Right on Brother James, right on.

    Shaun aRe

    Tags:

  2. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    Shaun Rimmer <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > "I believe that political correctness can be a form of linguistic fascism, and it sends shivers
    > down the spine of my generation who went to war against fascism."
    >
    > [P D James, in the "Paris Review",
    > (1995); quoted in the "Oxford Dictionary of Thematic Quotations"
    > (2000)]
    >
    > Right on Brother James, right on.
    >

    > Shaun aRe

    cock.

  3. Carla A-G

    Carla A-G Guest

    > Shaun Rimmer <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > >

    > > "I believe that political correctness can be a form of linguistic fascism, and it sends shivers
    > > down the spine of my generation who went to war against fascism."
    > >
    > > [P D James, in the "Paris Review",
    > > (1995); quoted in the "Oxford Dictionary of Thematic Quotations"
    > > (2000)]
    > >
    > > Right on Brother James, right on.
    > >

    > > Shaun aRe

    elephant's
    > cock.

    Something a little more appropriate for the ng:

    "Throw your body, then bring your bike with you."
    - JJ Gregorowicz (infamous trials master)

    - CA-G

    Canadian Girls Kick Ass!

  4. > > "I believe that political correctness can be a form of linguistic fascism, and it sends shivers
    > > down the spine of my generation who went to war against fascism."
    > >
    > > [P D James, in the "Paris Review",
    > > (1995); quoted in the "Oxford Dictionary of Thematic Quotations"
    > > (2000)]
    > >
    > > Right on Brother James, right on.
    > >

    > > Shaun aRe

    elephant's
    > cock.

    Amen to that, on both accounts.

    Small Black Dog

  5. Kent

    Kent Guest

    > Canadian Girls Kick Ass!

    Do you have to pay them? Do they use pointy shoes?

    Kent

  6. Carla A-G

    Carla A-G Guest

    "Kent" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > > Canadian Girls Kick Ass!
    > >
    > Do you have to pay them? Do they use pointy shoes?
    >
    > Kent

    I have said it before and I will say it again, anyone who deserves a good hard ass kicking, will
    receive one gratis.

    Size 35 Sidi's, cleats and all...

    - CA-G

    Canadian Girls Kick Ass!

  7. Bill Wheeler

    Bill Wheeler Guest

    On Tue, 4 Mar 2003 16:49:10 -0000, "Shaun Rimmer" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >"I believe that political correctness can be a form of linguistic fascism, and it sends shivers
    >down the spine of my generation who went to war against fascism."
    >
    >[P D James, in the "Paris Review",
    >(1995); quoted in the "Oxford Dictionary of Thematic Quotations"
    >(2000)]
    >
    >Right on Brother James, right on.
    >

    >Shaun aRe

    True, Bill

    :-]

  8. Kent wrote:
    >>Canadian Girls Kick Ass!
    >>

    > Do you have to pay them? Do they use pointy shoes?
    >
    > Kent

    Are you authoritative with your kick?

    Jon Bond

  9. Cameron

    Cameron Guest

    "R.White" <[email protected]arter.net> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > [email protected] (Stephen Baker) wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    > > Kent says:

    > > >Do you have to pay them? Do they use pointy shoes?
    > > >

    > > Ask Scottie - he'll know for sure!
    > >

    > Just can't get the young lad off your mind, eh?

    Steve has some odd obsessions. Don't ask, I'm sure he'll whip 'em out.

    ;-)

    --
    Cameron

  10. Ian Rogers

    Ian Rogers Guest

    > "I believe that political correctness can be a form of linguistic fascism, and it sends shivers
    > down the spine of my generation who went to war against fascism."
    >
    > [P D James, in the "Paris Review",
    > (1995); quoted in the "Oxford Dictionary of Thematic Quotations"
    > (2000)]
    >
    > Right on Brother James, right on.
    >

    > Shaun aRe

    Yeah, I'm sure we've all heard or seen PC madness, although IMHO it's more often used by the
    political Right as a big stick in an attempt to beat up on

    your authors correct?

    http://www.twbookmark.com/authors/8/899/

    Ian

    Ian Rogers

  11. Bomba

    Bomba Guest

    Ian Rogers wrote:

    > Yeah, I'm sure we've all heard or seen PC madness, although IMHO it's more often used by the
    > political Right as a big stick in an attempt to beat up on progressive idea(l)s and good causes.

    Brownie points for guessing who said: "The people can always be brought to the bidding of the
    leaders... All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the peacemakers for
    lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country."

    > your authors correct?

    Heh, hadn't picked up on that.

  12. Carla A-G

    Carla A-G Guest

    > Brownie points for guessing who said: "The people can always be brought to the bidding of the
    > leaders... All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the peacemakers
    > for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country."

    Matt Hoffman? Hans Rey? Ned Overend?

    - CA-G

    Canadian Girls Kick Ass!

  13. Spider

    Spider Guest

    "Carla A-G" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > "bomba" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > Brownie points for guessing who said: "The people can always be brought to the bidding of the
    > > leaders... All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the peacemakers
    > > for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country."
    >
    > Matt Hoffman? Hans Rey? Ned Overend?

    Naw, I think it was good ol' Adolph hisself.

    I don't think MTBers think that hard, and roadies NEVER think that hard.

    Now DHers - there's a bunch o' intellectuals!

    Spider

  14. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    Bill Wheeler, the non-fascist linguistic minimalist said:

    > True, Bill

    Heheheh - cheers Bill, very eloquent ',;~}

    Shaun aRe

  15. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    Small Black Dog <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > > > "I believe that political correctness can be a form of linguistic fascism, and it sends
    > > > shivers down the spine of my generation who went to war against fascism."
    > > >
    > > > [P D James, in the "Paris Review",
    > > > (1995); quoted in the "Oxford Dictionary of Thematic Quotations"
    > > > (2000)]
    > > >
    > > > Right on Brother James, right on.
    > > >

    > > > Shaun aRe
    > >

    > elephant's
    > > cock.
    >
    > Amen to that, on both accounts.
    >
    > Small Black Dog

    "Do I hear an 'amen'?"

    "Aaaaamen!!!"

    Cheers ',;~}

    Shaun aRe

  16. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    Ian Rogers <[email protected]> wrote in message

    > > "I believe that political correctness can be a form of linguistic fascism, and it sends shivers
    > > down the spine of my generation who went to war against fascism."
    > >
    > > [P D James, in the "Paris Review",
    > > (1995); quoted in the "Oxford Dictionary of Thematic Quotations"
    > > (2000)]
    > >
    > > Right on Brother James, right on.
    > >

    > > Shaun aRe
    > >

    > Yeah, I'm sure we've all heard or seen PC madness, although IMHO it's more often used by the
    > political Right as a big stick in an attempt to beat up
    on

    > your authors correct?
    >
    > http://www.twbookmark.com/authors/8/899/
    >
    > Ian
    >
    > Ian Rogers

    Thanks Ian (oops!), sorry Ms. James!

    Right on sister James!

    ',;~}

    Shaun aRe - chicks'r cool!

  17. Ian Rogers

    Ian Rogers Guest

    > Ian Rogers <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > "Shaun Rimmer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > > >

    > > > "I believe that political correctness can be a form of linguistic fascism, and it sends
    > > > shivers down the spine of my generation who went to war against fascism."
    > > >
    > > > [P D James, in the "Paris Review",
    > > > (1995); quoted in the "Oxford Dictionary of Thematic Quotations"
    > > > (2000)]
    > > >
    > > > Right on Brother James, right on.
    > > >

    > > > Shaun aRe
    > > >

    > > Yeah, I'm sure we've all heard or seen PC madness, although IMHO it's
    more
    > > often used by the political Right as a big stick in an attempt to beat
    up
    > on

    of
    > > your authors correct?
    > >
    > > http://www.twbookmark.com/authors/8/899/
    > >
    > > Ian
    > >
    > > Ian Rogers
    >
    > Thanks Ian (oops!), sorry Ms. James!
    >
    > Right on sister James!
    >
    > ',;~}
    >

    > Shaun aRe - chicks'r cool!

    Glad to set the record straight Shaun. BTW, P. D. James, while she is one of the UK's great
    novelists working in the genre of crime fiction, is right wing establishment through and through.
    She worked for many years as a government civil servant and is a member of the House of Lords, with
    the title Baroness.

    Ian

    Ian Rogers