Fast Corner And Exploding Rear Tire.

willocrew

May 27, 2006
Since i'm online ranting about my incorrectly installed front wheel, I thought i'll just mention my previous week's bike incident resulting in me burning some cash at the LBS prematurely.

I was happily cycling along at a nice pace, along a new route when i saw this tempting corner. I went in hard `A la Valentino Rossi motoGP style.. and a rather queer thing happened. My bike's rear wheel tire kind of exploded coming off my rim, while i skidded along a short distance on my rear rim. At this point i was looking all cool and suave as i managed to keep my balance(there were passerbys mind you), but than i suddenly remembered i was still clipped on my pedals. Than i panicked, wobbled a little and crashed.

I was in the middle of nowhere so i had to haul @$$, bike on shoulder and hike it to the nearest road, while desperately trying to call me GF on her mobile which she conviniently forgot to charge/bring/turnoff/did not hear/ one of those anyway.

I love cycling.

I know how it feels. I broke a spoke on my rear wheel whilst going down hill. Somehow i was able to remain upright.

My wife always says to me before I go on a ride, "call me if anything happens or if you need something, I worry about you riding on the road". Funny how when I called her after this incident she was convieniently in the shower and did not hear me. So I had to wait while the friend I was riding with went ahead and got his car to come get me.....go figure.

willocrew said:
Since i'm online ranting about my incorrectly installed front wheel, I thought i'll just mention my previous week's bike incident resulting in me burning some cash at the LBS prematurely.

I was happily cycling along at a nice pace, along a new route when i saw this tempting corner. I went in hard `A la Valentino Rossi motoGP style.. and a rather queer thing happened. My bike's rear wheel tire kind of exploded coming off my rim, while i skidded along a short distance on my rear rim. At this point i was looking all cool and suave as i managed to keep my balance(there were passerbys mind you), but than i suddenly remembered i was still clipped on my pedals. Than i panicked, wobbled a little and crashed.

I was in the middle of nowhere so i had to haul @$$, bike on shoulder and hike it to the nearest road, while desperately trying to call me GF on her mobile which she conviniently forgot to charge/bring/turnoff/did not hear/ one of those anyway.

I love cycling.
Never saw a tire so damaged, that a proper boot wouldn't salvage it enough to limp home. I carry a boot, two tubes, 10 patches and have never had to call home since I started riding, 50,000 miles ago.

Well...here is my story...

I was riding home...about 3.5 miles out. Going about 25mph...slightly downhill.
Then...I felt a PING...followed by a few other Pings...then a crunch...SKIDDDD...then the tire started spinning again...then a few more Pings...followed by a Skid...to a Stop. CRAZY CRAZY CRAZY ride!!! What I figured happened was... Beings how my bike is about 10 years old, don't know when, if ever, anything has been replaced...other than the breaks by my dad, and the handlebar stuff by me...the rear wheel was probably original, and due to metal fatigue (or the chain falling into the spokes a few times that I don't know about)...ANYWAY...a spoke broke, causing a few more to go...then one came around and "grabbed" the chain, Hence the first SKID. Then everything started to spin again...then from uneven pressure...the rest of them broke on that side. Actually it was the outer 8 on the gear side. Then the wheel got stuck by the frame...causing the final skid.

Anyway...I wasn't able to call home, didn't have 50 cents with me!?! ...My grandma lived only 3/4 of a mile from my "crash" site...didn't think about going there. AND...I don't have a cell phone. Seems how the wheel was way off balance, it wasn't allowed to spin...SO...carried a 25 lb bike, for 3.5 miles...NOT FUN!!! Yep...as the passerbyers said..."Took my bike out for a walk":mad:

OH OH OH...I didn't crash though!!! Just had to throw that in...ALMOST...but didn't!!! :D

Incorrectly installed front wheel - you can't put the wheel on the fork yourself?

Why couldn't you have patched or changed the tube and then got yourself home?

badkarma said:
Why couldn't you have patched or changed the tube and then got yourself home?
dunno. something was wrong with my wheel. I suppose i didn't want to cause any further damage.

willocrew said:
dunno. something was wrong with my wheel. I suppose i didn't want to cause any further damage.
I'd be surprised if your rear wheel caused the flat. I'd highly recommend carrying a patch kit, spare tube, tire levers, and a mini-pump with you while riding. Flats happen to all of us, you just gotta be prepared.