Fast cycling days?

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Johnny Klunk, Mar 13, 2003.

  1. Johnny Klunk

    Johnny Klunk Guest

    Just talking to the other half, offhand, she said something about today being a "fast cycling day".
    Which was really interesting as I noticed today that I was averaging a few mph above the norm.
    Neither of us have been able to quantify why today was a "fast cycling day", but we did notice the
    difference. Wasn't bad weather today, but not that different to many other days.

    Had anyone else noticed this and did anyone else in the South East find today was a faster day
    than others?

    Tags:

  2. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    Johnny Klunk wrote:
    > Just talking to the other half, offhand, she said something about today being a "fast cycling
    > day". Which was really interesting as I noticed today that I was averaging a few mph above the
    > norm. Neither of us have been able to quantify why today was a "fast cycling day", but we did
    > notice the difference. Wasn't bad weather today, but not that different to many other days.

    Light wind equals fast cycling day. Even if you think it was all you, it usually /is/ the weather!
    :-( Small differences* in wind speed and direction can make a massive difference to how easy it is
    to pedal. But what you've had to eat and what you feel like will play a part as well of course.

    > Had anyone else noticed this and did anyone else in the South East find today was a faster day
    > than others?

    I didn't ride today but the wind has calmed down a bit, hasn't it?

    * At least what would seem small when not cycling and to non-cyclists, eg. 10 v 15mph, SW v W, etc.

    ~PB

  3. Stephen \

    Stephen \ Guest

    "Johnny Klunk" <[email protected]:rem0ve-this:johnnyklunk.com> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Just talking to the other half, offhand, she said something about today being a "fast cycling
    > day". Which was really interesting as I noticed
    today
    > that I was averaging a few mph above the norm. Neither of us have been able to quantify why today
    > was a "fast cycling
    day",
    > but we did notice the difference. Wasn't bad weather today, but not that different to many
    > other days.
    >
    > Had anyone else noticed this and did anyone else in the South East find today was a faster day
    > than others?

    I noticed that when coming home today in West London - absolutely flying along and more annoyed than
    usual when cars got in my way.

  4. Dave

    Dave Guest

    <snip>
    > What brought this home to me was one evening last year,it had rained all day, and stopped an hour
    > before the start of the TT.Everyone said it would be a 'slow' night because of the water on the
    > road, but it turned out that nearly everyone had done their best time of the season.
    <snip>.

    Could be due to excess negative ions in the atmosphere being released from the water droplets,
    stimulating the cillia <s?> in the lungs, allowing better oxygen absorption...same effect as
    standing next to a waterfall and feeling fantastic ??...possibly ?

  5. Anonymous

    Anonymous Guest

    "A Lee" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:1frs8ey.ucy975i88fnkN%[email protected]...
    > This can also be seen when watching cricket.When the air is 'heavy', the ball can be swung at will
    > by the bowler,as, in effect, the air is rubbing against the ball, making it spin faster on the
    > shiny side,and dragging on the rough side.Other days when the sun is shining,and the pitch is
    > really dry, the ball will just not swing.

    For the ball, wouldn't a more plausible explanation be that the humidity affects the leather and
    string to change the aerodynamics, rather than the viscosity of the air changing?

    cheers, clive

  6. Mike Gayler

    Mike Gayler Guest

    "Johnny Klunk" <[email protected]:rem0ve-this:johnnyklunk.com> writed in
    news:[email protected]:

    > Just talking to the other half, offhand, she said something about today being a "fast cycling
    > day". Which was really interesting as I noticed today that I was averaging a few mph above the
    > norm. Neither of us have been able to quantify why today was a "fast cycling day", but we did
    > notice the difference. Wasn't bad weather today, but not that different to many other days.
    >
    > Had anyone else noticed this and did anyone else in the South East find today was a faster day
    > than others?

    Me too in Leicester, riding my heavy sit-up-and-beg bike, it was a dream coming home, I thought the
    wind must be behing me, but when I got home I realised there was no noticable breeze!

  7. Andrew

    Andrew Guest

    Johnny Klunk <[email protected]:rem0ve-this:johnnyklunk.com> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Just talking to the other half, offhand, she said something about today being a "fast cycling
    > day". Which was really interesting as I noticed
    today
    > that I was averaging a few mph above the norm. Neither of us have been able to quantify why today
    > was a "fast cycling
    day",
    > but we did notice the difference. Wasn't bad weather today, but not that different to many
    > other days.
    >
    > Had anyone else noticed this and did anyone else in the South East find today was a faster day
    > than others?

    Yep, fast in Leeds yesterday & today. PB's to work both days. The light traffic helped today.

    --
    Andrew

    "Look laddie, if you're in the penalty area and aren't quite sure what to do with the ball, just
    stick it in the net and we'll discuss all your options afterwards."

  8. Strong northerly wind in Portsmouth today right behind me on the way home made a big difference.
    Pity I wasn't on my lightweight, but use an old gas-pipe framed tourer this time of year! "Johnny
    Klunk" <[email protected]:rem0ve-this:johnnyklunk.com> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Just talking to the other half, offhand, she said something about today being a "fast cycling
    > day". Which was really interesting as I noticed
    today
    > that I was averaging a few mph above the norm. Neither of us have been able to quantify why today
    > was a "fast cycling
    day",
    > but we did notice the difference. Wasn't bad weather today, but not that different to many
    > other days.
    >
    > Had anyone else noticed this and did anyone else in the South East find today was a faster day
    > than others?

  9. Johnny Klunk

    Johnny Klunk Guest

    > I noticed that when coming home today in West London - absolutely flying along and more annoyed
    > than usual when cars got in my way.

    Thanks all for the answers. It's not just us then. I'd taken into account wind, weather and all
    those - but I think some days are just "faster". Love to know why... (love to be able to recreate it
    everyday!)

  10. Stephen \

    Stephen \ Guest

    "Johnny Klunk" <[email protected]:rem0ve-this:johnnyklunk.com> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > > I noticed that when coming home today in West London - absolutely flying along and more annoyed
    > > than usual when cars got in my way.
    > >

    > Thanks all for the answers. It's not just us then. I'd taken into account wind, weather and all
    > those - but I think some days are just "faster". Love to know why... (love to be able to recreate
    > it everyday!)

    Yes but it never makes up for all those days when it feels like you are cycling through treacle.

  11. Albert

    Albert Guest

    "A Lee" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:1frs8ey.ucy975i88fnkN%[email protected]...
    > "Johnny Klunk" <[email protected]:rem0ve-this:johnnyklunk.com> wrote:
    >
    > > Just talking to the other half, offhand, she said something about today being a "fast cycling
    > > day". Which was really interesting as I noticed today that I was averaging a few mph above
    > > the norm.
    > snip
    > > Had anyone else noticed this and did anyone else in the South East find today was a faster day
    > > than others?
    >
    > Yes, noticeable on weekly Time Trials.Obviously there is the wind to take note of, but sometimes
    > when there is no wind, there can be a noticeable difference in peoples times. What brought this
    > home to me was one evening last year,it had rained all day, and stopped an hour before the start
    > of the TT.Everyone said it would be a 'slow' night because of the water on the road, but it turned
    > out that nearly everyone had done their best time of the season.

    maybe they tried harder because they expected increased resistance from the surface water and a
    higher ambient humidity then deduced that they needed to increase effortorial input in order to
    achieve optimum operational efficacy

    /just do it

    Albert

  12. Johnny Klunk

    Johnny Klunk Guest

    > Yes but it never makes up for all those days when it feels like you are cycling through treacle.

    Heh, I call them "hangover days", usually with good reason. They're the same days where the distance
    between home and work mysteriously doubles.

  13. J-P.S

    J-P.S Guest

    On Fri, 14 Mar 2003 19:29:33 -0000, andrew scrawled: )> Had anyone else noticed this and did anyone
    else in the South East find )> today was a faster day than others? ) ) Yep, fast in Leeds yesterday
    & today. PB's to work both days. The light ) traffic helped today.

    Given the routes I take, my speed is often helped immeasurably by light pedestrian traffic. People
    park on one side of Banbury Road and then flock to the other (or are resident EFL students on one
    side, and need their studies on the other). The large number of pedestrian crossings on the road can
    be a real hindrance some days; other days it's less than six minutes from door to door.

    J-P
    --
    Tens of thousands of pilgrims have flocked to a church in southern India in the hope of catching a
    glimpse of a "miracle chapati" emblazoned with the image of a bearded Christ.

  14. Finally took the posh bike out yesterday - Sun, for the first time in months. A very nice, very fast
    day indeed. I managed to pick up a tri-boy near Eton, and we kept the pace up till Datchett. Luckily
    he turned off, and I was able to revert back to my more normal 15mph, but found that I didn't want
    to, nor, more importantly, did I need to :))

    Four weeks of no training + Giant TCR smile + lovely weather + competition + strangely quiet roads =
    immensely good time.

    steveP

  15. ChrisW

    ChrisW New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 17, 2003
    I've often found it a fast ride home when it's rained earlier in the day so the road is damp but not wet and the air is cool and humid.

    Then there are the days when the morning ride goes like a dream and you think "Great! I've become fit overnight." Only on the way home do you notice the wind that was behind you in the morning.

    Chris

  16. Ian Walker

    Ian Walker Guest

    On 18 Mar 2003 01:02:32 +1050, ChrisW <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Then there are the days when the morning ride goes like a dream and you think "Great! I've become
    > fit overnight." Only on the way home do you notice the wind that was behind you in the morning.

    Ah yes. This was my experience just yesterday, as I limped home around Chew Valley Lake (where the
    person in the other thread had their jeep altercation). I should have known that things weren't
    right as I was flying over the Mendip Hills in the morning thinking "Wow! Two sessions on a turbo
    trainer and I've turned into an all-powerful cycling machine!!"

    Ian

    --
    Ian Walker Remove the yummy paste in my address to reply. Homepage: http://www.drianwalker.com