Fast Freddy breaks one hour World record on Easy Racer!

In between all of our Mayors' Ride excitement, I talked to Fast Freddy
Markham today and at just shy of the half century mark, he is still an
unbeatable bike racing force, Here's the story:

At approximately 6:20 am on July 2nd, 2006, 20 years after winning the
Dupont prize, Fast Freddy Markham set his 20th world record; winning the
prestigious Dempsey - MacCready Hour Record Prize. Fast Freddy covered a
distance of 53.43 miles in one hour, bettering the previous record by
over 1 mile. Fast Freddy and the Easy Racers team received the $18,000
prize for the fastest one hour in history. Over $40,000 was awarded to
the participants. It was a fantastic event and Fast Freddy proved to the
world that after more than 3 decades of racing he¹s still a world class
athlete.

This important bit of news is at:
http://www.bikeroute.com/Recumbents/News/Archives/000103.html
And links from our highly trafficked bent web at:
http://www.bikeroute.com/Recumbents

And most importantly, it's at http://www.easyracers.com

Too awesome!

Martin Krieg "Awake Again" Author
http://www.BikeRoute.com/MKRIEG.HTML
'79 & '86 TransAmerica Bike Rides
2007 w/"How America Can Bike & Grow Rich"
Coma, Paralysis, Clinical Death Survivor
NBG Founding Director, HiWheel Cyclist

[email protected] wrote:
> In between all of our Mayors' Ride excitement, I talked to Fast Freddy
> Markham today and at just shy of the half century mark, he is still an
> unbeatable bike racing force, Here's the story:

> At approximately 6:20 am on July 2nd, 2006, 20 years after winning the
> Dupont prize, Fast Freddy Markham set his 20th world record; winning the
> prestigious Dempsey - MacCready Hour Record Prize. Fast Freddy covered a
> distance of 53.43 miles in one hour, bettering the previous record by
> over 1 mile. Fast Freddy and the Easy Racers team received the $18,000
> prize for the fastest one hour in history. Over $40,000 was awarded to
> the participants. It was a fantastic event and Fast Freddy proved to the
> world that after more than 3 decades of racing he¹s still a world class
> athlete.
>
> This important bit of news is at:
> http://www.bikeroute.com/Recumbents/News/Archives/000103.html
> And links from our highly trafficked bent web at:
> http://www.bikeroute.com/Recumbents
>
> And most importantly, it's at http://www.easyracers.com
>
> Too awesome!
>
> Martin Krieg "Awake Again" Author
> http://www.BikeRoute.com/MKRIEG.HTML
> '79 & '86 TransAmerica Bike Rides
> 2007 w/"How America Can Bike & Grow Rich"
> Coma, Paralysis, Clinical Death Survivor
> NBG Founding Director, HiWheel Cyclist

How come these guys never seem to show up at the TdF?
They would blow away the others at individual time trials, even if not
winning the race.
Bill Baka

On Sat, 22 Jul 2006 14:57:18 GMT, Bill <[email protected]>
wrote:

>[email protected] wrote:
>> In between all of our Mayors' Ride excitement, I talked to Fast Freddy
>> Markham today and at just shy of the half century mark, he is still an
>> unbeatable bike racing force, Here's the story:

>> At approximately 6:20 am on July 2nd, 2006, 20 years after winning the
>> Dupont prize, Fast Freddy Markham set his 20th world record; winning the
>> prestigious Dempsey - MacCready Hour Record Prize. Fast Freddy covered a
>> distance of 53.43 miles in one hour, bettering the previous record by
>> over 1 mile. Fast Freddy and the Easy Racers team received the $18,000
>> prize for the fastest one hour in history. Over $40,000 was awarded to
>> the participants. It was a fantastic event and Fast Freddy proved to the
>> world that after more than 3 decades of racing he¹s still a world class
>> athlete.
>>
>> This important bit of news is at:
>> http://www.bikeroute.com/Recumbents/News/Archives/000103.html
>> And links from our highly trafficked bent web at:
>> http://www.bikeroute.com/Recumbents
>>
>> And most importantly, it's at http://www.easyracers.com
>>
>> Too awesome!
>>
>> Martin Krieg "Awake Again" Author
>> http://www.BikeRoute.com/MKRIEG.HTML
>> '79 & '86 TransAmerica Bike Rides
>> 2007 w/"How America Can Bike & Grow Rich"
>> Coma, Paralysis, Clinical Death Survivor
>> NBG Founding Director, HiWheel Cyclist

>How come these guys never seem to show up at the TdF?
>They would blow away the others at individual time trials, even if not
>winning the race.
>Bill Baka

WHAT a complete DUNCE!

Bill wrote:
> [email protected] wrote:

> > At approximately 6:20 am on July 2nd, 2006, 20 years after winning the
> > Dupont prize, Fast Freddy Markham set his 20th world record; winning the
> > prestigious Dempsey - MacCready Hour Record Prize. Fast Freddy covered a
> > distance of 53.43 miles in one hour, bettering the previous record by
> > over 1 mile. Fast Freddy and the Easy Racers team received the $18,000
> > prize for the fastest one hour in history. Over $40,000 was awarded to
> > the participants. It was a fantastic event and Fast Freddy proved to the
> > world that after more than 3 decades of racing he¹s still a world class
> > athlete.

> How come these guys never seem to show up at the TdF?
> They would blow away the others at individual time trials, even if not
> winning the race.
> Bill Baka

Bill, these bikes are not legal in races like the TdF. See picture at
http://www.easyracers.com/
For the Dupont prize Markham was on a recumbent bike with a full
fairing/stocking around it. He's also on a closed course. This model is
still available from Easy Racers as the Gold Rush,
http://www.easyracers.com/gold_rush.htm The picture shows a street
fairing, not the type of wind cover Markham rode for the Dupont prize.

As a thought experiment, imagine 160 guys racing these things on an
Alpine stage of the TdF.

Markham deserves credit for his accomplishment, but it's in a different
class. It's like comparing stock car racing with Indy car racing.

Bill wrote:

> How come these guys never seem to show up at the TdF?
> They would blow away the others at individual time trials, even if not
> winning the race.

One's a bicycle race. The other's a freak show.

HTH

in message <[email protected]>, Bill
('[email protected]') wrote:

> [email protected] wrote:
>> In between all of our Mayors' Ride excitement, I talked to Fast
>> Freddy
>> Markham today and at just shy of the half century mark, he is still
>> an unbeatable bike racing force, Here's the story:

>> At approximately 6:20 am on July 2nd, 2006, 20 years after winning the
>> Dupont prize, Fast Freddy Markham set his 20th world record; winning
>> the prestigious Dempsey - MacCready Hour Record Prize. Fast Freddy
>> covered a distance of 53.43 miles in one hour, bettering the previous
>> record by over 1 mile. Fast Freddy and the Easy Racers team received
>> the $18,000 prize for the fastest one hour in history. Over $40,000
>> was awarded to the participants. It was a fantastic event and Fast
>> Freddy proved to the world that after more than 3 decades of racing
>> he¹s still a world class athlete.
>>
>> This important bit of news is at:
>> http://www.bikeroute.com/Recumbents/News/Archives/000103.html
>> And links from our highly trafficked bent web at:
>> http://www.bikeroute.com/Recumbents
>>
>> And most importantly, it's at http://www.easyracers.com
>>
>> Too awesome!

> How come these guys never seem to show up at the TdF?
> They would blow away the others at individual time trials, even if not
> winning the race.

UCI rules. Let us not, for heaven's sakes, ever let any vulgar technical
innovation perturb the gentlemanly sport of cycle racing. Or something.
Myself, I'd love a ride in Fast Freddie's bike - or Sam Whittingham's for
that matter. But then I'm a heathen, and believe that as long as mans'
ingenuity can build it and a man's muscles can power it (and it has two
wheels) it's a bike.

Windows 95:
You, you, you! You make a grown man cry...
M. Jagger/K. Richards

On Sat, 22 Jul 2006 19:41:10 GMT, "Bill Sornson" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Bill wrote:
>
>> How come these guys never seem to show up at the TdF?
>> They would blow away the others at individual time trials, even if not
>> winning the race.

>One's a bicycle race. The other's a freak show.
>
>HTH

Speaking of freak shows... Hi, Bill.

In 1991, I was running the lap counter and ringing the bell at the LA
Olympic Festival at the old 7-11 Olympic Velodrome on the campus of
California State University, Dominguez Hills.

One of the events was a 150 lap (50km) scratch race. Fast Freddie was
in the field. He went up one lap, then another, and finally a third.
Some other riders got one lap, and I think maybe one or two got two
laps, but Freddie was so fast, he saved the majority of the racers 1km
(2%) of the race distance!

As best I can recall, the time for the race was just over 1 hour. My
recollection is that the winning speed was almost 48 km/h (29.5 mph
sticks in my memory).

Even then, Markham was a "masters" rider!

Simon Brooke <[email protected]> wrote in news:ikfap3-
[email protected]:

> But then I'm a heathen, and believe that as long as mans'
> ingenuity can build it and a man's muscles can power it (and it has two
> wheels) it's a bike.

I'm just curious, and this is a serious question. Are recumbents difficult
to control in a group? I mean, is it difficult to steer and ride while
draftig in various formations? How does it compare to drafting on a
"normal" bike?

--
fnood fneep gnip gnop
http://greep.flood.nit

On 25 Jul 2006 19:14:06 GMT, Kevan Smith <[email protected]>
wrote:

>I'm just curious, and this is a serious question. Are recumbents difficult
>to control in a group? I mean, is it difficult to steer and ride while
>draftig in various formations? How does it compare to drafting on a
>"normal" bike?

No, although with some recumbents it helps to have a bit of wiggle
room when you are at a near standstill, compared to a diamond frame.
Riding at speed on a normal (unfaired or partially faired) recumbent
is pretty much the same as a DF in a group.

Not sure I would want to race in a large pack of, say, 50-75
recumbents of all different styles. I've never tried to take a tight
turn handlebar to handlebar on a recumbent, and I could see some
conflicts trying to run under seat steering with above seat steering
on a crit course.

For the same reason, I've never ridden in a draft on my recumbent, if
it is even possible or worthwhile.

Curtis L. Russell
Odenton, MD (USA)
Just someone on two wheels...

Here's a couple of items relating to Fast Freddy.

1) My brother rides in the same Saturday morning ride that
Freddy rides in sometimes (in Santa Cruz). He says that
the ride usually starts out with most riders together
but that toward the end the hotdoggers and young dudes
like to take off to see who the baddest rider is that
day. My brother says that whenever Freddy shows up
he smokes them all no problemski.

2) About 20 years ago my brother, who used to own
the Spokesman bike shop in Santa Cruz, bought a house
and had a big house warming party. At the time his housemate
was an ex Navy Seal guy. My brother invited a bunch of
his bicycling friends, including Fast Freddy, and the
housemate invited a bunch of his Seal friends.
It was interesting to compare the physiques and
physical abilities of the two groups. Freddy and
friends were generally small with massive legs.
The Seals were generally massive all over. It would
have been fun to have a bicycle race, Seals vs.
Fast Freddy. Freddy probably would have won, but
if the race also required that you shoot a machine gun
back at people who were shooting at you, I'm not
sure how it would have turned out.

--Jon-

[email protected] wrote:
> In between all of our Mayors' Ride excitement, I talked to Fast Freddy
> Markham today and at just shy of the half century mark, he is still an
> unbeatable bike racing force, Here's the story:

> At approximately 6:20 am on July 2nd, 2006, 20 years after winning the
> Dupont prize, Fast Freddy Markham set his 20th world record; winning the
> prestigious Dempsey - MacCready Hour Record Prize. Fast Freddy covered a
> distance of 53.43 miles in one hour, bettering the previous record by
> over 1 mile. Fast Freddy and the Easy Racers team received the $18,000
> prize for the fastest one hour in history. Over $40,000 was awarded to
> the participants. It was a fantastic event and Fast Freddy proved to the
> world that after more than 3 decades of racing he¹s still a world class
> athlete.
>
> This important bit of news is at:
> http://www.bikeroute.com/Recumbents/News/Archives/000103.html
> And links from our highly trafficked bent web at:
> http://www.bikeroute.com/Recumbents
>
> And most importantly, it's at http://www.easyracers.com
>
> Too awesome!
>
> Martin Krieg "Awake Again" Author
> http://www.BikeRoute.com/MKRIEG.HTML
> '79 & '86 TransAmerica Bike Rides
> 2007 w/"How America Can Bike & Grow Rich"
> Coma, Paralysis, Clinical Death Survivor
> NBG Founding Director, HiWheel Cyclist

Wow, you get $58K every time you break (and re-break) the one-hour
record? Tyler should get himself a fred-machine, set up about 10
different attempts (each with a different record-breaking schedule) and
get himself back into the money.

Also, if Dempsey and MacCready are so prestigious, how come I have
never heard of them before?

photoshoppper wrote:
> Wow, you get $58K every time you break (and re-break) the one-hour
> record? Tyler should get himself a fred-machine, set up about 10
> different attempts (each with a different record-breaking schedule) and
> get himself back into the money.

Sergei Bubka used to be pretty good at that.

> Also, if Dempsey and MacCready are so prestigious, how come I have
> never heard of them before?

You are ignorant. I'd bet there's lots of interesting stuff you never
heard of.

Mort

mort wrote:
> > Also, if Dempsey and MacCready are so prestigious, how come I have
> > never heard of them before?

> You are ignorant. I'd bet there's lots of interesting stuff you never
> heard of.
>
> Mort

Enlighten me. Make me look like an idiot. Tell me who they
(obviously) are. I submit myself to you with all the reqisite
humility.

Who are they, and what makes the award prestigious? Breaking speed
records with full fairings and a lounge chair?

in message <[email protected]>,
[email protected] ('[email protected]') wrote:

> mort wrote:
>> > Also, if Dempsey and MacCready are so prestigious, how come I have
>> > never heard of them before?

>> You are ignorant. I'd bet there's lots of interesting stuff you never
>> heard of.

> Enlighten me. Make me look like an idiot. Tell me who they
> (obviously) are. I submit myself to you with all the reqisite
> humility.

Dempsey is Ed Dempsey of Dempsey's World Record Associates Inc; his main
interest is electric powered rather than human powered vehicles.
MacCready is Paul MacCready, designer and builder of Gossamer Condor and
Gossamer Albatross, the first human powered aircraft to achieve
sustained, maneuverable flight and the first human powered aircraft to
cross the English Channel respectively.

> Who are they, and what makes the award prestigious? Breaking speed
> records with full fairings and a lounge chair?

Being the fastest guy on the planet, propelled only by his own muscles,
in any discipline at all.

Error 1109: There is no message for this error

news:eek:[email protected]...
> in message <[email protected]>,
> [email protected] ('[email protected]') wrote:

>>> You are ignorant. I'd bet there's lots of interesting stuff you never
>>> heard of.

>> Enlighten me. Make me look like an idiot. Tell me who they
>> (obviously) are. I submit myself to you with all the reqisite
>> humility.

> Dempsey is Ed Dempsey of Dempsey's World Record Associates Inc; his main
> interest is electric powered rather than human powered vehicles.
> MacCready is Paul MacCready, designer and builder of Gossamer Condor and
> Gossamer Albatross, the first human powered aircraft to achieve
> sustained, maneuverable flight and the first human powered aircraft to
> cross the English Channel respectively.

In a six degrees type thing relating this to bike racing, do a search for
MacCready, Scioscia then MacCready, Kyle then Kyle, US Cycling Team

> In a six degrees type thing relating this to bike racing, do a search for
> MacCready, Scioscia then MacCready, Kyle then Kyle, US Cycling Team

Make that last one Chet Kyle, US Cycling Team

> "Carl Sundquist" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
>>In a six degrees type thing relating this to bike racing, do a search for
>>MacCready, Scioscia then MacCready, Kyle then Kyle, US Cycling Team

You don't need even that many degrees.

Fast Freddy Markham, U.S. Cycling Team (back in the 70s, including the
1976 Olympic Team)

--
I do not accept unsolicited commercial e-mail. Remove NO_UCE for
legitimate replies.