Fast Freddy breaks one hour World record on Easy Racer!

"Victor Kan" <[email protected]_UCEloopdrive.net> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>> "Carl Sundquist" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>
>>>In a six degrees type thing relating this to bike racing, do a search for
>>>MacCready, Scioscia then MacCready, Kyle then Kyle, US Cycling Team

> You don't need even that many degrees.
>
> Fast Freddy Markham, U.S. Cycling Team (back in the 70s, including the
> 1976 Olympic Team)

I know, but the question was about Dempsey and MacCready.

in message <103yg.333729$5Z.190217@dukeread02>, Carl Sundquist
('[email protected]') wrote:

> "Victor Kan" <[email protected]_UCEloopdrive.net> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>>> "Carl Sundquist" <[email protected]> wrote in message

>> You don't need even that many degrees.
>>
>> Fast Freddy Markham, U.S. Cycling Team (back in the 70s, including the
>> 1976 Olympic Team)

> I know, but the question was about Dempsey and MacCready.

Yes. Fast Freddy won their prize. Which was for bike racing, remember?

...but have you *seen* the size of the world wide spider?

> in message <103yg.333729$5Z.190217@dukeread02>, Carl Sundquist
> ('[email protected]') wrote:
>

>> "Victor Kan" <[email protected]_UCEloopdrive.net> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...

>>> You don't need even that many degrees.
>>>
>>> Fast Freddy Markham, U.S. Cycling Team (back in the 70s, including the
>>> 1976 Olympic Team)

>> I know, but the question was about Dempsey and MacCready.

> Yes. Fast Freddy won their prize. Which was for bike racing, remember?

Picking nits, he actually didn't. The prize was $25,000 for exceeding 90 kph
average speed for an hour by July 4, 2006. If not achieved, the monetary
awards would be:
The fastest vehicle at the end of the period (July 4, 2006) - $18,000
The second fastest vehicle - $10,000
The third fastest vehicle - $6,000

Again picking nits, it was for HPV racing, not bike racing. There were no
requirements for two wheels.

But since the subject was already about Fred and photoshoppper needed to be
enlightened beyond that, I thought I'd help out by mentioning Scioscia and
Kyle.

in message <dKbyg.333755$5Z.90300@dukeread02>, Carl Sundquist
('[email protected]') wrote:

> "Simon Brooke" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> in message <103yg.333729$5Z.190217@dukeread02>, Carl Sundquist
>> ('[email protected]') wrote:
>>

>>> "Victor Kan" <[email protected]_UCEloopdrive.net> wrote in message
>>> news:[email protected]...

>>> I know, but the question was about Dempsey and MacCready.

>> Yes. Fast Freddy won their prize. Which was for bike racing, remember?

> Picking nits, he actually didn't. The prize was $25,000 for exceeding
> 90 kph average speed for an hour by July 4, 2006. If not achieved, the
> monetary awards would be:
> The fastest vehicle at the end of the period (July 4, 2006) - $18,000
> The second fastest vehicle - $10,000
> The third fastest vehicle - $6,000

That is a nit, but I'll allow it. He did, however, win the race.

> Again picking nits, it was for HPV racing, not bike racing. There were
> no requirements for two wheels.

There actually is a requirement for the vehicle to have only two wheels -
not in the rules, admittedly. But a third wheel increases drag, so at
the limits tricycles just aren't competitive with bicycles (and quads
aren't competitive with either). So this was, inevitably, bike racing.

;; For in much wisdom is much grief; and he that increaseth
;; knowledge increaseth sorrow.." - Ecclesiastes 1:18

[email protected] wrote:
> mort wrote:
> > > Also, if Dempsey and MacCready are so prestigious, how come I have
> > > never heard of them before?

> > You are ignorant. I'd bet there's lots of interesting stuff you never
> > heard of.
> >
> > Mort

> Enlighten me. Make me look like an idiot.

Well, the others seem to have done a pretty good job. Incidentally, no
matter where the seat is, somebody still has to push the pedals.

Mort