Fast Freddy's Raw deal...

chris

Guest
Hey no offense to Levi, but my impression is that the U.S. team should
have someone who can sprint. Yeah, yeah they have George, but whens
the last time he won a sprint. Fred's not the best, but he produces
results, climbs ok and is the U.S. Pro champ! Levi was 5th in Paso
whozeewhatsit! So what?

Mark my words, the U.S. team will once again ****** defeat from the
jaws of victory.

CH

"chris" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hey no offense to Levi, but my impression is that the U.S. team should
> have someone who can sprint. Yeah, yeah they have George, but whens
> the last time he won a sprint. Fred's not the best, but he produces
> results, climbs ok and is the U.S. Pro champ! Levi was 5th in Paso
> whozeewhatsit! So what?
>
> Mark my words, the U.S. team will once again ****** defeat from the
> jaws of victory.
>
> CH

Didn't he win some stage in some race in Italia?

chris wrote:
> Hey no offense to Levi, but my impression is that the U.S. team should
> have someone who can sprint. Yeah, yeah they have George, but whens
> the last time he won a sprint. Fred's not the best, but he produces
> results, climbs ok and is the U.S. Pro champ! Levi was 5th in Paso
> whozeewhatsit! So what?

.... and where did Fred finish in the US Championship? Just wondering.

Dan

P.S. It's already been pointed out Fred has done better than his US Pro result
this year.

I agree, I can't believe they wouldn't take Freddy over Levi. Actually, I
can believe it, because they aren't really focusing on who's the best man
for the job, rather just who is higher profile.
Fredddy would actually have a good chance at winning the road race. Levi?
Yeah, whatever...

"Dan Connelly" <d_j_c_o_n_n_e_l@i_e_e_e.o_r_g> wrote in message
news:f%[email protected]...
> chris wrote:
> > Hey no offense to Levi, but my impression is that the U.S. team should
> > have someone who can sprint. Yeah, yeah they have George, but whens
> > the last time he won a sprint. Fred's not the best, but he produces
> > results, climbs ok and is the U.S. Pro champ! Levi was 5th in Paso
> > whozeewhatsit! So what?
> >

> ... and where did Fred finish in the US Championship? Just wondering.
>
> Dan
>
> P.S. It's already been pointed out Fred has done better than his US Pro

result
> this year.

[email protected] (chris) wrote in news:a7157f5e.0407141445.676e8e92
@posting.google.com:

> Mark my words, the U.S. team will once again ****** defeat from the
> jaws of victory.

When was team USA ever even close to "the jaws of victory"?

"Boyd Speerschneider" <bspeerscREMOVE_ME@ME_TOOyahoo.com> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> [email protected] (chris) wrote in

> @posting.google.com:
>
> > Mark my words, the U.S. team will once again ****** defeat from the
> > jaws of victory.

> When was team USA ever even close to "the jaws of victory"?

Do we really think Lance would have won had he gone?
Dave

Excellent selection criteria. It favors stage race riders over one
day racers for what, a one day event. What gives USACYCLING ? Levi
is a great rider but wouldn't a proven stage sprinter be better suited
for a one day event ? The selection criteria needs to be changed.
After all, Freddy can outsprint Pettachi.

Steve

[email protected] (chris) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Hey no offense to Levi, but my impression is that the U.S. team should
> have someone who can sprint. Yeah, yeah they have George, but whens
> the last time he won a sprint. Fred's not the best, but he produces
> results, climbs ok and is the U.S. Pro champ! Levi was 5th in Paso
> whozeewhatsit! So what?
>
> Mark my words, the U.S. team will once again ****** defeat from the
> jaws of victory.
>
> CH

"Dave H" wrote...

> Do we really think Lance would have won had he gone?

Athens is going to be a mess anyway. I wouldn't go either.

"chris" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hey no offense to Levi, but my impression is that the U.S. team should
> have someone who can sprint. Yeah, yeah they have George, but whens
> the last time he won a sprint. Fred's not the best, but he produces
> results, climbs ok and is the U.S. Pro champ! Levi was 5th in Paso
> whozeewhatsit! So what?
>
> Mark my words, the U.S. team will once again ****** defeat from the
> jaws of victory.

Let's put this in perspective - Fred beat Petacchi in a straight up sprint.
Yeah it was uphill but it was mano-e-mano.

Fred finished second to Mario a couple of years ago in both the San Remo and
the Fleche.

On any given day if Fred got real support he could win a sprint at the end
of a hard stage.

I like Levi, but he isn't a one day rider and sure shouldn't be displacing a
rider like Fred.

Jim Flom wrote:

> "Dave H" wrote...
>
>>Do we really think Lance would have won had he gone?

> Athens is going to be a mess anyway. I wouldn't go either.

all these years of overcommercialized excesses will blow up in
everyone's faces worse than if al qaeda pulled a stunt. i can't even
begin to think about how gawd awful the television coverage will be.

chris wrote:

> Mark my words, the U.S. team will once again ****** defeat from the
> jaws of victory.

Before that happens they have to be close to the jaws of victory. They have
a better chance of snatching something from the ass of victory.

On 07/14/2004 11:02 PM, in article
[email protected], "Tom Kunich"
<[email protected]> wrote:

> "chris" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> Hey no offense to Levi, but my impression is that the U.S. team should
>> have someone who can sprint. Yeah, yeah they have George, but whens
>> the last time he won a sprint. Fred's not the best, but he produces
>> results, climbs ok and is the U.S. Pro champ! Levi was 5th in Paso
>> whozeewhatsit! So what?
>>
>> Mark my words, the U.S. team will once again ****** defeat from the
>> jaws of victory.

> Let's put this in perspective - Fred beat Petacchi in a straight up sprint.
> Yeah it was uphill but it was mano-e-mano.
>
> Fred finished second to Mario a couple of years ago in both the San Remo and
> the Fleche.

Ghent-Wevelgem ... But don't let the facts get in the way ...

--
Steven L. Sheffield
stevens at veloworks dot com

"Dave H" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Boyd Speerschneider" <bspeerscREMOVE_ME@ME_TOOyahoo.com> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > [email protected] (chris) wrote in

> > @posting.google.com:
> >
> > > Mark my words, the U.S. team will once again ****** defeat from the
> > > jaws of victory.

> > When was team USA ever even close to "the jaws of victory"?

> Do we really think Lance would have won had he gone?
> Dave

Lance sure doesn't and that is why he is using is paternal status as an
excuse. He just about said as much too. To answer your question, I don't
think Lance would win. He has never met expectations at any of the Olympics
(though he has come close in the ITT).

"Steven L. Sheffield" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:BD1BB25D.3B5AB%[email protected]...
> On 07/14/2004 11:02 PM, in article
> [email protected], "Tom Kunich"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > "chris" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> >> Hey no offense to Levi, but my impression is that the U.S. team should
> >> have someone who can sprint. Yeah, yeah they have George, but whens
> >> the last time he won a sprint. Fred's not the best, but he produces
> >> results, climbs ok and is the U.S. Pro champ! Levi was 5th in Paso
> >> whozeewhatsit! So what?
> >>
> >> Mark my words, the U.S. team will once again ****** defeat from the
> >> jaws of victory.

> > Let's put this in perspective - Fred beat Petacchi in a straight up

sprint.
> > Yeah it was uphill but it was mano-e-mano.
> >
> > Fred finished second to Mario a couple of years ago in both the San Remo

and
> > the Fleche.

> Ghent-Wevelgem ... But don't let the facts get in the way ...

Isn't this a case of the correct fact sort of being irrelevant? How did that
fact get in the way of forming an accurate conclusion?

> > On any given day if Fred got real support he could win a sprint at the

end
> > of a hard stage.
> >
> > I like Levi, but he isn't a one day rider and sure shouldn't be

displacing a
> > rider like Fred.
> >

> --
> Steven L. Sheffield
> stevens at veloworks dot com
> veloworks at worldnet dot ay tea tee dot net
> bellum pax est libertas servitus est ignoratio vis est
> ess ay ell tea ell ay kay ee sea aye tee why you ti ay aitch
> aitch tee tea pea colon [for word] slash [four ward] slash double-you
> double-yew double-ewe dot veloworks dot com [four word] slash

"chris" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hey no offense to Levi, but my impression is that the U.S. team should
> have someone who can sprint. Yeah, yeah they have George, but whens
> the last time he won a sprint. Fred's not the best, but he produces
> results, climbs ok and is the U.S. Pro champ! Levi was 5th in Paso
> whozeewhatsit! So what?
>
> Mark my words, the U.S. team will once again ****** defeat from the
> jaws of victory.

Since he met the automatic selection criteria, it seems to me that USAC had
no choice but to name Leipheimer to the squad after Armstrong passed. Now if
you want to argue that the selection criteria were poorly conceived in the
first place, that might be a different story.

Andy Coggan

"Boyd Speerschneider" <bspeerscREMOVE_ME@ME_TOOyahoo.com> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> [email protected] (chris) wrote in

> @posting.google.com:
>
> > Mark my words, the U.S. team will once again ****** defeat from the
> > jaws of victory.

> When was team USA ever even close to "the jaws of victory"?

I can think of at least two occasions right off the top of my head, and I'm
not even a big fan of pro cycling:

Bob Mionske, 4th, 19XX?

Lance Armstrong, 4th, 1996

Andy Coggan

> "Boyd Speerschneider" <bspeerscREMOVE_ME@ME_TOOyahoo.com> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > [email protected] (chris) wrote in

> > @posting.google.com:
> >
> > > Mark my words, the U.S. team will once again ****** defeat from the
> > > jaws of victory.

> > When was team USA ever even close to "the jaws of victory"?

> I can think of at least two occasions right off the top of my head, and

I'm
> not even a big fan of pro cycling:
>
> Bob Mionske, 4th, 19XX?

Yes, I think that one was a field sprint for the win in 1988.

> Lance Armstrong, 4th, 1996

I'm pretty sure it was Frankie that got 4th, and he was down by a minute or
two.

On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 15:41:18 GMT, "Andy Coggan"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>I can think of at least two occasions right off the top of my head, and I'm
>not even a big fan of pro cycling:
>
>Bob Mionske, 4th, 19XX?
>
>Lance Armstrong, 4th, 1996

Andreu was fourth in 1996 in the road race. Was there another event in
which Armstrong was 4th?

Mionske was 4th in Seoul, when the race was for amateurs.

JT

> On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 15:41:18 GMT, "Andy Coggan"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> >I can think of at least two occasions right off the top of my head, and

I'm
> >not even a big fan of pro cycling:
> >
> >Bob Mionske, 4th, 19XX?
> >
> >Lance Armstrong, 4th, 1996

> Andreu was fourth in 1996 in the road race. Was there another event in
> which Armstrong was 4th?

Thanks for the correction - I told you I wasn't a big fan of pro racing.

Andy Coggan